Question for you ex-kickers out there...

FWIW, I was a punter not a kicker, but I would think it better to use the tee. You get the hop by hitting the ball into the ground. I suspect you could get more hop were the ball sitting directly on the ground, but that would result in a predictable flight (IMO). By having the ball elevated, it allows it more distance before it hits the ground so the bounce if nothing else is less predictable. Good question. And I was under the impression that it is a requirement to use a tee to KO (last I knew there were only 2 allowable official models, the std orange "boomer" and an asymmetric red soccer style one).

WRT using a holder - I would imagine that it would allow for a more dramatic kick as the ball could be positioned more radically (ie it doesn't need to stand up), but the major drawback is that it takes one person out of your "coverage" or at least dramatically slows down his arrival into the "scrum".

Edited by eSJayDee

I was a semi-pro kicker for three years. I was not very good, of course, but actually the onsides kick was one of the things I did better. Rules were basically college rules, so I'm not sure how they measured up to the NFL, but I don't believe technically you need a tee. I never saw anybody try it without a tee though, so it would certainly present a conversation. I highly doubt the referees would stop you though. For what it's worth, I was a barefoot kicker, so I did things a little differently anyhow. Last one in 20 years.

That being said, the way I always kicked my onside kick was by "topping" the ball hard into the ground. That got a predictable, but still tricky bounce every time. That would be impossible to do without a tee. I did, however, know a kicker who actually turned the tee upside down for onside kicks. It's also worth noting that that maneuver only worked for 3" tees which are now illegal, I believe (as kickers got better they required kickers to use 1" tees, which eventually filtered down to lower levels). Don't hold me to that last part.