Preseason

NoSaint

Read an interesting article yesterday about the saints vs niners game last week. Essentially the meat of it stated that the reason that the saints blitzed the hell out of them was because harbaugh never called sean Payton to work out there general agreements about how the game should be played, and what type of things each team wanted to work on. Sean was offended and told Gregg Williams to "release the hounds."

I know you never watch the scoreboard but it's just an added layer as to why it's hard from your couch to evaluate whats what.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, it's really difficult when you are watching the game not to get emotional and keep everything in perspective. Every time the Bills strap on their pads and put on the uniforms I want to see them perform well and of course win the game. I was definitely flustered watching us bumble around last night. But the preseason is such a strange animal. Everything is so vanilla and you never know what a team is trying to accomplish with their play calling and personnel packages and such. It's all just a glorified scrimmage really.

I think a similar thing happened with Tampa Bay the other day. They were just unprepared for the Pats to come out with guns blazing and they got caught with their pants down so to speak. You have to take it all in stride somewhat.

I think Barnett had a good assessment. You'd like to see players perform well in their base options, but if they don't you have to remember that its not a good representation of how things will necessarily go in the Regular Season. They still have time to put it together.

Now if they look this bad in KC, then there will be cause for concern...

Right- when we complain about "why would they...." the answer might be it's a glorified scrimmage and the coaches agreed to put something in to help the other side with their evaluations, or they wanted to test a guy, etc... On the flipside, someone might look good out of consideration to not target a known weakness.... We can judge but only so much.

Bills looked very good last preseason and so did Trent Edwards. He was cut by week three and the Bills went to 0-8. Of course you want to see good things, but not seeing them is no guarantee they will be terrible when the season starts, just like them doing well would be no guarantee it would continue when the season started.

Right- when we complain about "why would they...." the answer might be it's a glorified scrimmage and the coaches agreed to put something in to help the other side with their evaluations, or they wanted to test a guy, etc... On the flipside, someone might look good out of consideration to not target a known weakness.... We can judge but only so much.

Bam

Bills looked very good last preseason and so did Trent Edwards. He was cut by week three and the Bills went to 0-8. Of course you want to see good things, but not seeing them is no guarantee they will be terrible when the season starts, just like them doing well would be no guarantee it would continue when the season started.

I don't think the Bills looked good last preseason either... didn't the first team struggle to score touchdowns for weeks?

I was optimistic until I saw this game. Bet the under on the Vegas line if anything at all happens to Merriman

Edited by symbiant

I've been following the NFL for a long time, and I've never heard of coaches coming to an "agreement" before preseason games. Maybe when they used to do those scrimmages, but not preseason games. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

The article the OP is referring to is here. link

I've been following the NFL for a long time, and I've never heard of coaches coming to an "agreement" before preseason games. Maybe when they used to do those scrimmages, but not preseason games. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

The article the OP is referring to is here. link

though technically against the rules, ive heard of it twice. i dont remember offhand who the broncos played week 1, but the opposing coach made a comment that he would be calling john fox to get on the same page for the game. referenced they were good friends and would be getting everything worked out beforehand.

its technically illegal, but it sounds like its pretty commonplace if one coach admitted to doing it, and another is mad about it not happening all in the first week of preseason.

Edited by NoSaint