An interesting note was added by Bledsoe to his

I took interesting note of the announcers saying that Bledsoe had told them one of the reasons for the team's better play was that the Bills braintrust has simplified the offense by stripping out a lot of the audibles which could be called.

This certainly made sense to me as I have felt that one of our problems last year was that in addition to Kevin Killdrive being a bit too pass-happy in his play calling, there also seemed to be a number of plays where based on the time Bledsoe took to call the play and shifts in our set-up seemingly based on play changes which I assumed came on Bledsoe audibling we went to some unsucessful (many of them pass) plays.

I think one of the primary benefits of limiting the audibles we can call is quite frankly that it has taken Bledsoe and his brain out of the playcalling. This team apparently called pass plays on some extraordinary number of third and short yardage down and distance last year. i think this may well be true because Killdrive called too many passes and then when he did call a run, Bledsoe himself would audible out of them.

At any rate, the Bills play calling is much improved this year. We may be being a bit too clever by half as I think that a couple of times we have taken Lindell points off the board by calling late TOs on kicks that he made may be because our braintrust was setting up tendencies on future play calling. However, this is a small price to pay for our success the last few games.

I took interesting note of the announcers saying that Bledsoe had told them one of the reasons for the team's better play was that the Bills braintrust has simplified the offense by stripping out a lot of the audibles which could be called.

This certainly made sense to me as I have felt that one of our problems last year was that in addition to Kevin Killdrive being a bit too pass-happy in his play calling, there also seemed to be a number of plays where based on the time Bledsoe took to call the play and shifts in our set-up seemingly based on play changes which I assumed came on Bledsoe audibling we went to some unsucessful (many of them pass) plays.

I think one of the primary benefits of limiting the audibles we can call is quite frankly that it has taken Bledsoe and his brain out of the playcalling.  This team apparently called pass plays on some extraordinary number of third and short yardage down and distance last year.  i think this may well be true because Killdrive called too many passes and then when he did call a run, Bledsoe himself would audible out of them.

At any rate, the Bills play calling is much improved this year.  We may be being a bit too clever by half as I think that a couple of times we have taken Lindell points off the board by calling late TOs on kicks that he made may be because our braintrust was setting up tendencies on future play calling.  However, this is a small price to pay for our success the last few games.

168327[/snapback]

Excellent post Fakefat. Dont forget our new QB coach--who I think has been amazing in his ability to limit the Drewdamage.

I think this is good and bad - I counted at least a half dozen times when there were 8 or 9 men in the box and we'd just run Willis into the pile for a 3 yard loss. For only playing 9 or so games, McGahee still leads the league in negative yardage runs. Some of that is his hesitation in looking for the hole. But another aspect of this is the caoching staff willing to stumble on offense (especially in the running game) and not give Drew too much responsibility. The revived run game took a step back this week - we really need to get that cranked up cause I'm not sure you can count on 4 + turnovers from the opposition each game.

I think one of the primary benefits of limiting the audibles we can call is quite frankly that it has taken Bledsoe and his brain out of the playcalling.  This team apparently called pass plays on some extraordinary number of third and short yardage down and distance last year.  i think this may well be true because Killdrive called too many passes and then when he did call a run, Bledsoe himself would audible out of them.

At any rate, the Bills play calling is much improved this year.  We may be being a bit too clever by half as I think that a couple of times we have taken Lindell points off the board by calling late TOs on kicks that he made may be because our braintrust was setting up tendencies on future play calling.  However, this is a small price to pay for our success the last few games.

168327[/snapback]

I think this is good and bad - I counted at least a half dozen times when there were 8 or 9 men in the box and we'd just run Willis into the pile for a 3 yard loss.  For only playing 9 or so games, McGahee still leads the league in negative yardage runs.  Some of that is his hesitation in looking for the hole.  But another aspect of this is the caoching staff willing to stumble on offense (especially in the running game) and not give Drew too much responsibility.  The revived run game took a step back this week - we really need to get that cranked up cause I'm not sure you can count on 4 + turnovers from the opposition each game.

168364[/snapback]

Yes - thank you - I too thought the playcalling was horrid (or at least, vanilla) yesterday due to the failure of the offense to audible away from obvious run-stuff situations. On many occasions the Bengals showed an overload blitz to the side of the field the Bills were running, and Bledsoe didn't audible away from the play. ON ONE PLAY, THEY RAN A REVERSE right into an overload. I was yelling... I'm sure this was by design, but it's not sound football IMO.

168327[/snapback]

Actually the dorks on CBS actually made the comment about the simplification. I notcide Drew does less audibles and goes with whats called.

Nothing like "dumbing" down the playbook and responsibilities for an 11 year vet QB that ranks ahead of Joe Montana in total passing yards. Now, just put the ball and game in Drew's hands and watch him perform al Joe Montan... yeah, right!!!

What an indictment on Mr. Bledsoe.