The need for an actual Tight End

If this is the case, why did Buffalo sign Nick Barnett, Tyler Thigpen, or Brad Smith? They obviously care how players perform on previous teams or they wouldn't sign them. Why then can't a fan give a thumbs up/down on a player who hasn't produced in his entire 4 year career? There is little to demonstrate that Chandler is a viable receiver or blocker and the fact that 3 other franchises gave up on him is indication enough he's not going to be even replacement level for Buffalo.

Now I suppose someone will attempt to minimize my argument by saying Chan doesn't believe in TE's or you can't do it all in one season. Even though Zack Miller was perhaps pricey for the organization, Kevin Boss was clearly affordable and they elected to go with 3 street free agents, a UDFA, and a disappointing 4th rounder from 2009.

This circular logic that if he was something before is poor attempt at conflating the argument. I don't deal in hypotheticals and he simply wasn't good enough to remain on a roster. That's reality.

Did you see the game?

Please point out what he did wrong and what he did right specifically, because otherwise it seems like just your usual whining, bitching and moaning about everything. Most of the points you made had some validity, and I don't think Chandler is going to be one of the better TEs in the league. But would it not be fait to actually look at what he did starting this year, his first full year on the team, and evaluate it fairly? He played about a quarter. They targeted him three times. He got open all three. He dropped one that IMO he should have caught but it wasn't a good pass to a wide open TE. He fought hard and ran hard after the catch. He blocked pretty well (I watched him on every play on a replay). He moved fluidly, he went in motion out of the backfield a few plays, he's a willing blocker, and he's huge.

He may be lousy in the games, he may be average, good, very good, or great. I predict, but don't know any better than you, that he will pleasantly surprise by being pretty decent, and better than we have had in a long time. There really isn't a need for a strictly pass catching TE in this offense because the tackles, especially RT, is so suspect, and we have a wealth of slot receivers, two backs that can catch, and Brad Smith. What this team needs, this year, is a TE who is reliable as a blocker, and can make 5-10 yard receptions 3-5 times a game to move the chains and keep defenses honest. If he is a threat in the red zone that would be a huge plus.

All reports coming out of camp, and seen in that first quarter of pre-season action is Scott Chandler is doing that small but important job well. He did it last night.

I dont understand the argument Vet...maybe I am just being Dense....

We are doing the same thing with our other guys we brought in

- The QB we brought in might have known Gailey's offense but he wasnt a starter when we brought him in

- Barnett has had injuries

One could easily do the same bitching with them (if they wanted to) but the fact remains the same......they are now Bills....it matters what they do with the bills......

and in Chandler's first night? He did his job....would you feel better if he couldn't get open or dropped more passes?