Bills doing the right thing, so far.

Justice

I understand they can setup payment however they like, but the cap hit is what you actually pay the player that year or is it averaged out over the duration of the contract like in hockey?

Hmmm seems Google is my friend. The NFL cap hit is what the player is paid. Interesting. You can learn something new every day.

Bonus is prorated and salary counts the year of

say you signed someone to a 5 year contract with a 10 million Bonus and salary as followed

year one 10 million, year two 1 million, year three 1.5 million year four 1.5 million, year five 17 million

the cap hit for each year 1. 12 million, 2. 3 million, 3. 3.5 million 4. 3.5 million 5. 19 million

there is a relationship between the bonus and the total value of the contract but I'm not sure what it is- it might be that the bonus can't be more than a third the total value of the contract but teams get around it by giving huge amounts at the end of the contract that everyone knows is never getting paid, so that 6 year 80 million contract is really more like a four year 40 million contract

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent strategy on the part of the Bills - lie in wait for a few decades, let everyone think you're a small market team who doesn't spend, throw money at guys like Kelsay, don't sign any free agents and let your own good free agents walk and then POW!!!! Jump out like a hungry tiger in 2020 (or maybe 2030 depending on how dedicated you are to the setup of this ruse) and start spending your way to a championship - NOBODY would expect it! It would be downright diabolical!

You must work at the One Bills Drive mailroom, sound pretty accurate. How can the Bills be doing the right thing so far by letting their top tackler leave and signing a QB with a 1-11 career record? Ralph and his cronies are a bunch of jokes.

Everyone is wondering how the Bills will reach the salary cap floor without signing free agents. It's pretty easy, front load contracts to people like Dareus and Florence, re-sign some upcoming free agents such as Stevie Johnson and front load his deal and walla, you're at the floor of the cap without signing any outside free agents. We need to spend $26 million to get to the floor and Dareus' contract can theoretically get us half-way there, if that's what the Bills want, by making his signing bonus apply towards this years' cap.

If the Bills follow this strategy then they will always have cap space and will be able to make the big signings when the rest of the league is at a disadvantage financially. As of now, most teams are way under the cap because there was no salary floor in 2010 and many teams took advantage of that. Give it a year or two and those same teams will be trying their best to get under the cap. In the meantime, we will be holding all the cards and then we can make a major impact in free agency.

IMO, this is what the Bills need to do. We aren't in the position of going after free agents, yet. We need to build this team through the draft until we are competitive or knocking on the playoff's door, at the very least, and then you can go out and make a big splash in free agency. Free agency should be used to put the finishing touches on your roster, not the other way around.

Gone are the days when teams didnt know how to manage the salary cap. This isnt the early/mid-90s...they hire "capalogists" to keep track of this stuff, and dont forget the annual salary cap increase has been pretty substantial most years with the exception of maybe the last 2 years due to the ending of the CBA.

Half the players the top teams sign this year will be cut in 2-3 years to create cap space to sign future big money UFAs...sitting around waiting to strike when the timing is right will be futile.

Agree with some of the other people on here, just need to plug some holes (RT, ILB, TE) with solid vets. We will probably have to overpay them not because we are Buffalo, but b/c we are just not that good. If we ever start winning, that will bring the price down.

You must work at the One Bills Drive mailroom, sound pretty accurate. How can the Bills be doing the right thing so far by letting their top tackler leave and signing a QB with a 1-11 career record? Ralph and his cronies are a bunch of jokes.

Being a top tackler on a defense that gives up 200 yards rushing a game is not very impressive. If he re-signed with the Bills for the same contract , you would be blasting the front office for overpaying average players.

Edited by nucci

Being a top tackler on a defense that gives up 200 yards rushing a game is not very impressive. If he re-signed with the Bills for the same contract , you would be blasting the front office for overpaying average players.

No. IMO he is above average, and Ralph has to spend it somewhere now, why not on someone who is reliable instead of an over the hill, oft injured washed up player like Merriman?

No. IMO he is above average, and Ralph has to spend it somewhere now, why not on someone who is reliable instead of an over the hill, oft injured washed up player like Merriman?

Yeah, can't argue that just not a big fan of Poz.

I was one of the people saying resign Poz if the contract was right (2-3 years my main point). But 42/6 is waaaaaaaaay more than I was expecting. I think this will hurt the Bills in the short term but was the right decision to not try and match it (assuming they didn't).

@NoJustice

Who wants to go to Green Bay or Minnesota or Pittsburgh or Kansas City

Maybe nobody wants to come to Buffalo because your not willing to spend to win

99% of players want paid & they don't care where they are playing

if Nix is saving face by not trying sign FA then he shouldn't be GM

because I rather have one impact player than eight average players