Vacationing in Charleston SC

TSNBDSC

Was there about a year ago for the first time and had a great time with the wife and kids. Was not impressed by the water but did not see the beaches. I live in Florida where we have a world class beach so I am biased. Some of the highlights for me:

Stayed at a place call the Andrew Pickney Inn near the slave market- great location and complimentary breakfast.

Enjoy walking the streets and seeing the beautiful homes. Took a carriage ride which gives insight to the fascinating history of the city including the American Revolution. There was tremendous wealth there in the 1800's. The place was later basically destitute and abandoned during the Civil War after the north attacked and pillaged the city.

There's an interesting old round church with an open graveyard with tombstones that date before the American Revolution! Walked around the waterfront where you'll find a park that has cannons used during the civil war.

Ate at a place called Hamoni Grill with a kick ass fried chicken sandwich served on a biscuit with sausage gravy. The wife had the shrimp and grits which was also delicious Also ate at a place called Justine's. This was a tourist trap and food was very over-rated imo. Had better fried chicken at KFC.

Also took a side trip to Magnolia Plantations. You can get a sense of how life was on the plantation and how slavery led to tremendous wealth. You can also see how devestating it was to the owner who lost all when the south fell and who had to sell most of the land and convert a fraction of what he originally owned into a garden to survive. Beautiful Gardens there. There's a family tomb where you can see damage to a sculpted angel on the grave from one of General Sherman's men before they burned the original home to the ground. Very interesting yet sad letter on display from the owner named Drayton circa 1862 that basically said the south would never turn back and predicted civil war against the north and Lincoln.

Toured the Nathaniel Russel home. Beautiful spiral staircase and get a sense of how this shipping merchant lived.

Also got really into the Civil War particularly from the south point of view. Have read several books since then including on Robert Lee. I understand how this man was revered in the south. Led with integrity and valor but never really stood a chance against the more populous, powerful and industrial north. Major regret now was not taking a trip to Fort Sumter.

It's supposed to be awfully hot there in the summer fyi. Let me know how the trip went and what you enjoyed.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

Consider a Ghost Walk Tour.

They're usually in the evening, when it's cooler, you walk, and they take you to various locations where they narate a Ghost Story. I know, it sounds kind of ho-hum but it's a nice secure evening walk, has some entertainment value and considering the cities history, you may learn something. The stories are "legends" not like the para-normal crap you see on TV!

So far, we have been taken these in: Alexandria VA., Savannah, Charleston, Williamsburg & Yorktown VA. We don't "believe" in ghosts but, they can be entertaining, and a good way to walk off your dinner.

No doubt it could be dome in Buffalo but the size of the city would make it difficult to walk to all the various sites. Enjoy Charleston!