I gotta believe!!!!!!!

In the Bills that is!!!!

One of the great things for me as a sports fan is that psychosis that consumes me that against all logic and against past experience I have to believe in my team and its ability come heck or high water to win the big one or win it all.

Perhaps it is from growing up in Chicago in the 60s and my psychotic fascination with sports coming to a boil in 1969. Like most kids, my sports allegiances first revolved around who was good. As a youngster whose only real job was to learn and to seek independence at the same time as I sought security from those around me I became a Cub fan.

The 69 Cubs were good and had put together a lead on the second place Mets by August that most pundits were fitting the Cubs for World Series rings and uniforms. The Cubs were good so this was a candidate for my team. My family had only a passing interest in sports with my Mom being a school teacher and she didn't dislike sports but saw its primary value in being a way to get elementary school kids to understand fractions as they figured out batting averages. Dad was a baptist minister and the primary value of baseball over football was that the congregants always ran home from church to see the game.

I lived on the southside, so actually by being a Cub fan, I could be a bit different from the crowd while still getting the confirmation of the community and the media. I wasn't set to fully rebel against my parents yet so differing from the community noem in sports allegiance gaveme a way ti be acceptably different.

At any rate, this perfect storm of quality play, independence, and confirmation came set a trend for me as my beloved Cubs defied the laws of physics and sports by going belly-up to the Amazin Mets that year. This began a steady trend of me seeing the Cubs in spring training and calculating how they might go 162-0 this year but noting I had been burned before and was not going to fall for it this yea.

The Cubs would usually start like barn burners and be dueling for 1st place in the spring, but I would not the past and say I wasn't going to fall for it this time. The (usually on a west cost trip) they would go on a tear and spring into first place at some point early in the summer.

YES! YES! I would say! This year we're going to do it.

At some point we would flame out and I would say NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!

Yet, I'd do it again the next year.

After awhile though, I begin to find that I liked it (for example, the Cubs blowing a trip to the WS two years ago with an implosion in the League Championship Series was all my fault. I was careful in conversations with my friend Geoff who also developed a strong belief in the Cubs as a child of the 60s/70s, not to count my chickens before they hatched. He is now located in some remote outpost in NM with lousy TV reception and when he lefty his job, he lost his cable-TV hook-up. I agreed that IF the Cubs made the WS I would tape all the games for him and send them to him. I studiously avoided buying the blank tapes until the Cubs were actually in the Series (my wife weighs the house each morning and detects the presence of extra videotapes cluttering up her clean home so I needed a clear story as to why any discrepancies were temporary in order to escape "the look").

Seeing as how I was at the store with the tapes and there was no way the Cubs could miss the series given a 3-1 lead and our two best pitchers (Prior and Wood) next in the rotation I made the mistake of prematurely buying the tapes. You saw what happened. I blame myself as pride goeth before a downall.

So what does this have to do with the Bills. This team started 0-4. This team has a rookie HC. This team has a QB folks refer to as the statue. This team needs to win out AND see an incredibly unlikely convergence of events to make the playoffs.

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!

The essence of being a good fan is believing in your team against all logic.

The Bills have earned our loyalty with a history marked by incidents such as the Home-Run Throw-uP and the probably never to be repeated 4 SB losses in a row. The Bills have earned our loyalty ironically by digging themselves such a deep hole with the 0-4 start that only the near miraculous play of the last month could give them even a snowball's chance with a lot of help of making the playoffs. You gotta believe because this insanity is what us fans do.

I am certainly prone to overly verbose posts as I seek to fnd some logical explanation for that which defies logic. In the end, it all comes down to:

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE

and I do in the Bills.

What a great ride this past month has been and it only holds the promise to get even better if (WHEN) the Bills win out.

There are three games left in the regular season and they each pose their own challenges to make a loss in the game not illogical.

However, this is this week and in the end as a fan

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!

Believe it that the bills players are taking tomorrow's game as a big playoff game.

The biggest game of the season is tomorrow. They will show the NFL that the BUFFALO BILLS ARE FOR REAL. :devil:

165394[/snapback]

I already have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about the game tomorrow...I am so fired up for Sunday.

I'm super fired up also. They have not been on in Albany in weeks and was unable to go out due to kids basketball. Thank god #1 son has a non-league game tomorrow because I'm definitely blowing him off! You guys are correct...every games a playoff game.