REVERSE THE CURSE...

On this date, Wellington Mara began the bidding war between the old AFL and NFL that ultimately led to the merger of both leagues by signing Buffalo placekicker Pete Gogolak, who had played out his option in Buffalo and turned down a substantial raise offer from Ralph Wilson for what was then obscene money for a placekicker (approx. $35K, I believe) from the cash-rich NY (now NJ) Giants...

Link - This Day in Buffalo Sports History -- Go-go-gone (Buffalo News - 5/17/2011)

To this day, Pete Gogolak - the Cornellian who introduced soccer-style kicking to the NFL - remains the NJ Giants all-time leading scorer. The Bills, who had won the prior 2 consecutive AFL league titles in 1964 and 1965, would go on to lose to KC in the 1966 title game, thereby missing the opportunity to play in Superbowl One against Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers, and would never win another league title.

It is time for another league title.

It is time for...

19 and 0 baby!!!! B-)

It is time to...

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!! :thumbsup:

We can start by signing a Cornellian from the Giants' roster (I would suggest FA OL Kevin Boothe).

Doing an exorcism dance on Wellington Mara's grave and leaving a few Whammie Weenies at the site couldn't hurt either...

post-2970-001141100 1305637913_thumb.jpg

Seems like we should think of some way to incorporate Parcells and Belichick into the proceedings, too.

Excellent point!

After 'The Curse' began, it took the Bills 25 years just to reach another league title game, only to lose Superbowl 25 - in the most agonizing fashion - to the very team that started it all...Parcells'/Belicheat's/Mara's NJ Giants!!!!!

This dreaded drought must come to an end...

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!! :beer:

post-2970-030465100 1305640565_thumb.jpg

Seems like we should think of some way to incorporate Parcells and Belichick into the proceedings, too.

Part of me would agree with this, but there is no honor in cheating. This would preclude Belicheat's involvement. The Tuna would be OK, but he seems to have lost the fire in his belly which made him great.

Well, as long as we're talking about curses, I seem to remember the Seneca's put a curse on the Bills because the stadium was built on sacred ground. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

I thought that was the old Aud? I could be wrong, though.

I'd like to think MY username states who I think has cursed the city of Buffalo.... a Once prominent city on the cusp of technology, and the 8th largest city in the country at the turn of the century. Then in 1901 the president was assassinated, and a steady unstoppable decline has ensued ever since, like a fat kid running down a hill.

Edited by McKinleys Curse

I'd like to think MY username states who I think has cursed the city of Buffalo.... a Once prominent city on the cusp of technology, and the 8th largest city in the country at the turn of the century. Then in 1901 the president was assassinated, and a steady unstoppable decline has ensued ever since, like a fat kid running down a hill.

Well, actually, Buffalo continued to grow - and rapidly - for decades after that cursed event, increasing in population from 350K in 1900 to 580K in 1950. And, the Bills won consecutive AFL Championships in the 1960s.

In reality, in was the slow steady growth of the railroads in the first half of the 20th century as a viable alternative to the Erie Canal for the transportation of goods that led to the demise of Buffalo as a major transportation hub, and the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1957 that was the 'final nail' in Buffalo's coffin.

(Of course, the flight of manufacturing to the Sunbelt and points West, an absolutely ridiculous rate of taxation on both businesses and residents, unchecked greed on the part of politicians, labor unions, and government employees, and the unmitigated stupidity on the part of local leaders - and the voters that ignorantly keep re-electing them - hasn't helped to stop the bleeding!)

But, as far as the Bills title drought goes, it all leads back to 1966, Wellington Mara, and the Curse of Pete Gogolak!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! :beer:

post-2970-042480900 1305662017_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator