Mixed Draft Grades

I like the thoughts. The truth is that the Bills we see no love until they start winning consistently. 10 year playoff droughts don't earn you much love.

I hear what you are saying, but this is not about getting love, every team was graded. We are agreeing because what I think you are saying is we got a bad grade because we are not relevant instead of grading the players taken and using the same grading measurement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa301a/article/pats-ability-to-maneuver-helps-produce-another-solid-class

No love for us as usual. I thought we had a solid draft. I might have went for Tyrod Taylor instead if Chris White, but all in all I thought the Bills did well. Fox sports reports a A+. but Still no love from NFL.com Bucky Brooks none the less. What are your grades?

Dang!

Next thing you know those bastards will be predicting that the Bills won't win more then 4 games--like they said last year....

Anyway, B+.

Every year Bucky Brooks puts out the worst mocks I've EVER seen. He gives no real insight in his columns at all. Personally, I don't see how he still has a job. I don't put any stock into anything that dribbles out of his mouth or finds its way to a link.

Edited by H2o

This is one of the better observations in the draft aftermath even given that it's pretty obvious that very few of the draft analysts considered who was actually available at the time of each pick.

For instance, several sites criticized the Bills for not picking an OT earlier in the draft.

Yet there was not a single OT worthy of the 3rd pick.

Then 6 OTs were taken between picks #9 and #32 so that when the Bills picked at #34, there was no OT worthy of that pick (and many analysts considered Dallas' selection of Tyron Smith to be a reach).

In fact in the 2nd round there was only one OT taken, Marcus Gilbert at #65 by the Steelers.

In the 3rd round there were two OTs taken, Jah Reid at #85 by the Ravens and Joseph Barksdale at #92 by the Ravens.

In the 4th round the Bengals took OT Clint Bolling at #101 and the Giants took James Brewer at #117.

The Bills then took Chris Hairston at #122, the 12th OT off the board.

Hairston was in a large group of 2nd tier tackles who were all graded similarly including the 5 tackles taken from the 2nd round on (after the 6 first round tackles). The Bills got great value for Hairston while still being able to draft Williams and Sheppard first.

There are virtually hundreds of examples of this happening to every team throughout the draft.

It's one of the reasons that knowledgeable fans understand that you can't fill every need in one draft.

You are exactly right! :thumbsup:

1) First, the Bills weren't going to fill all their holes in one draft. Too many holes, not enough picks.

2) Second, you should never reach for a player just to fill a need. Sure, it would have been great if there'd been an Andrew Luck waiting for the Bills at 3rd overall. But there wasn't. Even though there's a need at quarterback, it doesn't make sense to use an early pick on, say, Blaine Gabbert, only to have him turn into Joey Harrington. You're much better off taking a player like Dareus, and waiting until 2012 to address the need at quarterback.

3) I think the best way to evaluate the Bills' draft is to ask, "Will this player provide the team with good value for his draft position?" If Dareus becomes the player we think he is, if Williams becomes a solid starter at CB, and if Sheppard is a good long-term answer at ILB, then we'll have gotten good value from our first three draft selections. Likewise, I suspect the Bills may have found some sleepers later in the draft.

i have the impression that nfl cant wait to relocate our bills to toronto. or l.a. or whereever.

but as long as gosselin gives us an A+ i dont care

because he mostly mocks it right, and in hindsight is 18/20

i have the impression that nfl cant wait to relocate our bills to toronto. or l.a. or whereever.

Gosselin loved our draft for the same reason these NFL boobs hated it. We picked his picks.

Now, I understand the merit of having an accurate mock (his has been most accurate over the past five years), but I'm more curious whose pre-draft rankings translate three-four years later. Goseelin's ability to "guess" correctly has more to do with his connections in the industry and less to do with his ability to evaluate talent, IMO.

Any one have a resource that indicates how predraft evaluations have jived with eventual league success?

It is not The NFL we have to worry about moving us to Toronto. It's Ralphs Daughter we have to worry about. Hopefully, The Bills will be playing in Buffalo for a long time. As for Gosselin; it's good to have someone confirm what I think we did have; A good Draft. Based on our division, for the amount of picks we had, I think we fared well. New England had a bunch of picks, and continued to stock pile for next year. I would give them an A-. They definatly trade up and down the board like a pro. I'm not looking forward to either Brady or Mallett lighting us up in the future. I would give the Bills a B+. other than the Chris White pick, I thought we did a great job. I saw nothing special from the Jets or The Fins.