Current Bills roster for the 2011 season (post-draft)

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/2/2149703/current-bills-roster-for-the-2011-season

"John McCargo (DE), Keith Ellison (ILB) and Ashton Youboty (CB) are also in a similar situation with Poz & Whitner, but were not given restricted offers. So it looks like McCargo, Youboty and Ellison have played their last games in a Bills uniform. McCargo never lived up to his 1st round draft status, while Ellison and Youboty proved to be as fragile as a carton of eggs. Both Ellison and Youboty could never stay healthy enough to be major contributors on the Bills defense."

That is so true!!

Good article, it breaks down every position and who's battling who to be the starter.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/2/2149703/current-bills-roster-for-the-2011-season

"John McCargo (DE), Keith Ellison (ILB) and Ashton Youboty (CB) are also in a similar situation with Poz & Whitner, but were not given restricted offers. So it looks like McCargo, Youboty and Ellison have played their last games in a Bills uniform. McCargo never lived up to his 1st round draft status, while Ellison and Youboty proved to be as fragile as a carton of eggs. Both Ellison and Youboty could never stay healthy enough to be major contributors on the Bills defense."

That is so true!!

Good article, it breaks down every position and who's battling who to be the starter.

No kidding about Youboty & Ellison.

"WR: L. Evans, D. Nelson, D. Jones, F. Huggins and P. Hubbard

Lee Evans is given another year to perform better and improve on his route running. If Evans doesn’t make significant improvements by the end of the season, this will be his last year in a Bills uniform."

Evans needs to show something this year. Cooter called him out on his route running, so Evans needs to not only perform better, but more consistently.

"JLB: S. Merriman, A. Moats, A. Maybin (D. Batten)

The Bills are expecting Shawne Merriman to be healthy and be back to his pro-bowl form from when he was on the San Diego Chargers. But after three unproductive, injury laden seasons, can Merriman finally put together a solid season for the Bills? If so, then that’s huge for the Bills pass rush, if not, then expect to see Arthur “Don’t cross the” Moats getting the start at JLB. With the addition of Dareus, plus having Kyle Williams up front, Aaron Maybin could possibly benefit from this. If players on the offense are double-teaming Dareus and Williams, this could give Maybin a clear shot at the QB. With Maybin’s speed, he should be able to close in on the opposing QB very quickly. But, this is likely Maybin’s last season with the Bills if he does not improve as the team has expressed their frustrations publicly about Maybin. Let’s see what Dave Wannstedt can do with Maybin this year."

While I think the Bills are taking a big gamble on Merriman, considering his health, the author is right if Merriman can even come close to his level play at SD. While I've been down on Maybin, I do hope that Wanny can get some production out of him. I hope Maybin doesn't turn out to be another McCargo.

http://www.buffaloru...the-2011-season

That is so true!!

"Brian Brohm (QB), Quinton Ganther (RB) and Jonathan Stupar (TE) were scheduled for RFA status regardless of what the new CBA looks like. They did not receive tender offers prior to the end of the 2011 season, which means those three have likely played in their last games for the Bills. "

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Saw this in the comment section, appears the author did forget about LCB position.

"Sorry I forgot about McKelvin and R. Corner. At the moment McKelvin appears to be the starter, but Buddy Nix is hoping to be able to resign Drayton Florence. If Florence is resigned, then he would be the starter on that side of the backfield followed by McKelvin & Corner. McKelvin has shown flashes that he could be the dominating CB that the Bills were hoping for, while other times he looks very average and gets beat in coverage. Can McKelvin finally start playing at a high level consistently this season (which is expected of him being a former 1st round draft pick?)"

I hope Florence is resigned. He's not the best in the league, but he was the Bills best playmaker in the backfield last season. Looks like Whitner is gone. While everybody has been down on him, because Levy & Jauron royally screwed up taking him over Ngata, I wish Whitner was still with the team. Granted, he wasn't worth the #8 pick, but he was huge in defending the run and was a hard hitter. Whitner had to come up and make a lot of tackles in the run game, because the Bills run D has sucked since Pat Williams was not resigned. Maybe if the run D wasn't so horrible, maybe we could have seen how much more effective Whitner could have been. Granted, nobody likes his offseason attitude and antics, so I wish him the best of luck. If Aaron Williams proves to be better than Whitner, then Nix & Co did a great job with replacing Whitner.

Edited by mike oxhurtz

Saw this in the comment section, appears the author did forget about LCB position.

"Sorry I forgot about McKelvin and R. Corner. At the moment McKelvin appears to be the starter, but Buddy Nix is hoping to be able to resign Drayton Florence. If Florence is resigned, then he would be the starter on that side of the backfield followed by McKelvin & Corner. McKelvin has shown flashes that he could be the dominating CB that the Bills were hoping for, while other times he looks very average and gets beat in coverage. Can McKelvin finally start playing at a high level consistently this season (which is expected of him being a former 1st round draft pick?)"

I hope Florence is resigned. He's not the best in the league, but he was the Bills best playmaker in the backfield last season. Looks like Whitner is gone. While everybody has been down on him, because Levy & Jauron royally screwed up taking him over Ngata, I wish Whitner was still with the team. Granted, he wasn't worth the #8 pick, but he was huge in defending the run and was a hard hitter. Whitner had to come up and make a lot of tackles in the run game, because the Bills run D has sucked since Pat Williams was not resigned. Maybe if the run D wasn't so horrible, maybe we could have seen how much more effective Whitner could have been. Granted, nobody likes his offseason attitude and antics, so I wish him the best of luck. If Aaron Williams proves to be better than Whitner, then Nix & Co did a great job with replacing Whitner.

I agree about Florence. I think he's a key player and the Bills secondary would be better with him than without. With Whitner, would somebody give him a straw...so he can SUCK IT UP!!! For a guy that's supposedly a leader on the defense, he's acting like a whiny little brat.

I agree with the quote on McKelvin, he needs to play better consistently. If not, I doubt the Bills will give him a contract extension (whenever his contract is up).

Edited by Jerry Jabber