OT- TIVO Question

theesir

CAn I run the program I record on the Tivo unit through a VCR so I can record something to tape, or better yet can I record it to a DVD recorder. I'm sure if I tape some things for my son, he would want to be able to watch it on video at some point after I remove it from Tivo memory.

Thanks

CAn I run the program I record on the Tivo unit through a VCR so I can record something to tape, or better yet can I record it to a DVD recorder. I'm sure if I tape some things for my son, he would want to be able to watch it on video at some point after I remove it from Tivo memory.

Thanks

163228[/snapback]

Sure. Should be as simple as: play it on the TiVo. Hook a coax cable to the "cable out" from the TiVo, and to the "cable in" on the VCR.

It should be that simple.

Sure. Should be as simple as: play it on the TiVo. Hook a coax cable to the "cable out" from the TiVo, and to the "cable in" on the VCR.

It should be that simple.

163288[/snapback]

Close, but not quite.

The TiVos have two Composite outs (Red/White/Yellow RCA cables). You connect one up to your receiver, and one up to your VCR or DVD Recorder. Press play on the TiVo and record on the VCR. You don't use the coax.

You don't need to select the "record to VCR" option; the only thing that does is put a banner page for a couple of seconds, saying what the show is.

However, you should upgrade the harddrive on your TiVo and then you won't have to delete things as quickly. Instructions on doing it are on TiVocommunity (as well as a link on our very own consumer forums). Definately worth it -- I have half the Bills season recorded on the TiVo right now. :rolleyes: 160 hours fills up quick... (and I have another 120 hours in the bedroom).

CW

Close, but not quite.

The TiVos have two Composite outs (Red/White/Yellow RCA cables).  You connect one up to your receiver, and one up to your VCR or DVD Recorder.  Press play on the TiVo and record on the VCR.  You don't use the coax.

You don't need to select the "record to VCR" option; the only thing that does is put a banner page for a couple of seconds, saying what the show is.

However, you should upgrade the harddrive on your TiVo and then you won't have to delete things as quickly.  Instructions on doing it are on TiVocommunity (as well as a link on our very own consumer forums).  Definately worth it -- I have half the Bills season recorded on the TiVo right now. :rolleyes:  160 hours fills up quick...  (and I have another 120 hours in the bedroom).

CW

163297[/snapback]

The box I am getting from Directv only has 35 hours of recording capacity ;)

Thanks for the info though.

I know I can search, but, how much would it cost/easy would it be to upgrade the harddrive?

The box I am getting from Directv only has 35 hours of recording capacity :lol:

Thanks for the info though.

I know I can search, but, how much would it cost/easy would it be to upgrade the harddrive?

163302[/snapback]

I think those are the same HDD you use to install into a PC. The average price for those are about $1/GB these days.

I think those are the same HDD you use to install into a PC.  The average price for those are about $1/GB these days.

163428[/snapback]

Yes, any harddrive will work. Should take you about 20 minutes to do yourself (maybe up to an hour if you've never done much with computers).

However, you must not have purchased a harddrive in awhile... :lol: The price is closer to $0.60/GB, and much less if you shop around. I bought a 200G drive about two months ago for $60 after rebate... The thing to keep in mind is that TiVo hardware can't access more than 137G of a drive; so you should be looking for a 120G drive or a 160G drive, nothing bigger. Of course, two 160G drives is great. :lol:

Check the consumer forums here for a link on how to upgrade the drive. Alternatively, you can buy the stuff from weaknees.com if you don't want to do it yourself. It really IS easy though.

CW