Bills taking DT or DE in the first round?

LGB

So we enter another year where the question remains if former first round picks Aaron Maybust and John McCargo-bust will ever be seen on game-days and maybe even a bigger question will be - will the Bills have to take another DT or DE in the first round?

Perennially the Bills, being one of the worst teams against the run, one would think that a DT or a run-stuffing DE (with a quick first step) would have been the position of need before RB last year.

The fact is that the Bills have been terrible at addressing their needs in the first round. Last year, some have argued that Spiller was a marketing pick designed only to sell seats and not address glaring needs like the OL or DL.

Since 2000 the Bill’s only top pick to make the Pro Bowl was Marshawn Lynch as an Injury Replacement in 2008. Added to that fact is that very few first round players currently on the roster have been “impact” players (game-changing players or players that really make a difference) that you would like to see when drafted so high.

Year Player

2000 Erik Flowers*

2001 Nate Clements

2002 Mike Williams*

2003 Willis McGahee

2004 Lee Evans

2004 J.P. Losman*

2005 No 1st Round Pick, Roscoe Parrish (2nd Round)

2006 Donte Whitner*

2006 John McCargo*

2007 Marshawn Lynch*

2008 Leodis McKelvin

2009 Aaron Maybin*

2009 Eric Wood

2010 C.J. Spiller

So what has changed at OBD that will make this draft different from years past? Probably not much (Tom Modrak?) and we will see if an impact player can be found or marketing player is selected this year.

Of course the real hope is that somehow the Bills will find a real contributor on game days who's impact will make marketing easy and not another disappointing addition (*) to the list above.

Updated: added Whitner as a "House of Blues" disappointment (taken 8th overall in 06) who's really been unspectacular.

Edited by LGB

The best defensive tackle will probably be taken second overall. I agree that Von Miller is the best player for us at three and unless there is an attractive trade down option he seems to be the available guy who will best help our defense right now in a position of need.

The best defensive tackle will probably be taken second overall. I agree that Von Miller is the best player for us at three and unless there is an attractive trade down option he seems to be the available guy who will best help our defense right now in a position of need.

When you are near last in defense against the run every year, I agree that defense is the way to go. We have a very good QB in Fitz, but RBs on opposing teams can't wait to play the Bills to increase their stats. When playing the Bills going over a 100 yards is an easy goal for a RB every time.

They NEED to go QB with the #3 pick and Defense with the #34. This draft is so heavy on the defensive side of the ball and let's face it we can actually sign and potentially franchise QB and let them be groomed for one year under Fitzpatrick. Unless of course they are expecting to be so bad where they can have a legit shot at getting Luck next year.

We have a very good QB in Fitz,

No we don't...Not yet at least...Fitz made strides in 2010, but it's yet to be seen if he's going to be a VERY good NFL QB...

I think to be considered a very good NFL QB you're going to have to have at least a 90 QB rating...Fitz had a QB rating of 75 or below on 5 of his 13 Starts...Realistically Fitz was a very good QB about 50% of the time...The rest of the time he was exactly who he's always been...average...

Fitz is a UFA after the 2011 Season so this is a Contract year...It's a HUGE year for him...But it's as easy to assume he can backslide as it is to think he's going to improve his overall QB Rating by 10 from last Season, and by almost 20 points from his Career average...That's what it's going to take for him to be considered very good...

I have to say...Those who are assuming Fitz is better than he really is are setting themselves up for some major heartache...I hope my gut is wrong and Fitz is the next Drew Brees...I'm just not convinced, not yet at least, and I'm definitely not assuming anything anymore...Not at QB for the Buffalo Bills I'm not... B-)

I think they're probably going to try to trade out of that spot, but if they can't, their pick at 3 will probably be Blaine Gabbert.

At best, I have mixed feelings about that. I can understand the need for a franchise Qb, but I just don't see it with this guy (or Newton). Regardless, I hope they're smart enough to just concentrate on one side of the ball early rather than trying to balance their draft and spreading their resources too thin. They'd be better off with a defense-oriented draft this particular year, but if they do pick Gabbert, I hope they're smart enough to draft him some help in R2-4 at OT and TE.

No we don't...Not yet at least...Fitz made strides in 2010, but it's yet to be seen if he's going to be a VERY good NFL QB...

I think to be considered a very good NFL QB you're going to have to have at least a 90 QB rating...Fitz had a QB rating of 75 or below on 5 of his 13 Starts...Realistically Fitz was a very good QB about 50% of the time...The rest of the time he was exactly who he's always been...average...

Fitz is a UFA after the 2011 Season so this is a Contract year...It's a HUGE year for him...But it's as easy to assume he can backslide as it is to think he's going to improve his overall QB Rating by 10 from last Season, and by almost 20 points from his Career average...That's what it's going to take for him to be considered very good...

I have to say...Those who are assuming Fitz is better than he really is are setting themselves up for some major heartache...I hope my gut is wrong and Fitz is the next Drew Brees...I'm just not convinced, not yet at least, and I'm definitely not assuming anything anymore...Not at QB for the Buffalo Bills I'm not... B-)

Fitz was very good considering the OL that he played behind. Is he the next Peyton Manning, probably not, but he is a good starting QB.

The question I have is what is it going to take to win this year and it seems that help on defense cannot be overlooked. Run and stop the run - right? The Bills cannot stop the run.

This team needs help...having two first round picks riding the bench every year in Maybust and McCargo-bust does not help.