1985 NFL Draft...

1st overall pick Bills select Bruce Smith DE Virginia Tech...14th pick overall (from Green Bay) Bills select Jerry Rice WR Mississippi Valley State.....Bills get Bruce, Jerry & Andre in the same draft. Bills go on to win Super Bowl 23 after going 16-3, SB 24 17-2, SB 25 19-0 Beat Giants 61-3 and Belichick gets fired and goes on to a career flipping burgers, SB 26 16-3, SB 27 15-4, SB 28 15-4, SB 30 16-3, SB 31 15-4, SB 34 15-4.

Reality...14th pick Bills select Derrick Burroughs CB Memphis

Point to be learned here is it's all about what have players dome already? I don't care about "potential". Guys who make it to the HOF have that "it" factor today, not tomorrow. What guys have HOF potential in '11 at #3?

1st overall pick Bills select Bruce Smith DE Virginia Tech...14th pick overall (from Green Bay) Bills select Jerry Rice WR Mississippi Valley State.....Bills get Bruce, Jerry & Andre in the same draft. Bills go on to win Super Bowl 23 after going 16-3, SB 24 17-2, SB 25 19-0 Beat Giants 61-3 and Belichick gets fired and goes on to a career flipping burgers, SB 26 16-3, SB 27 15-4, SB 28 15-4, SB 30 16-3, SB 31 15-4, SB 34 15-4.

Point to be learned here is it's all about what have players dome already? I don't care about "potential". Guys who make it to the HOF have that "it" factor today, not tomorrow. What guys have HOF potential in '11 at #3?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Enough with this garbage already...

Great thread. :unsure::w00t: Very realistic take you have there. I had no idea that just by adding Jerry Rice would have led the Bills to a 9-0 SB record. :doh:

And oh by the way. In 1985 Bruce Smith certainly did not appear to have "it" as a rookie. He was over weight and struggled his first season, and although he improved during his second year in 1986, he did not become dominant until after the '86 season when he got upset being left off the Pro Bowl team. That second off season of his young pro career is when he decided to work his ass off every off season and then his talent was supplemented by this work ethic, and he became a Hall of Famer.

Dan Marino had "it" from the first snap he took as a rookie. Drew Brees needed 3 years before he showed that he has "it."

Sorry, drafting the "it" player really is harder then your cute litte story trys to make it. If James Harrison continues winning defensive player of the year awards and piling up sacks during the rest of his career, he could very well use his "it" to make the Hall of Fame. Guess what, nobody drafted him at all. And the Steelers cut him once or maybe even twice before he finally made the team. According to you, no way should the Steelers or any other team had given him his 3rd chance to make their teams, because his "it" wasn't "apparent" right away.

Edited by BillsPhan

Great thread. :unsure::w00t: Very realistic take you have there. I had no idea that just by adding Jerry Rice would have led the Bills to a 9-0 SB record. :doh:

And oh by the way. In 1985 Bruce Smith certainly did not appear to have "it" as a rookie. He was over weight and struggled his first season, and although he improved during his second year in 1986, he did not become dominant until after the '86 season when he got upset being left off the Pro Bowl team. That second off season of his young pro career is when he decided to work his ass off every off season and then his talent was supplemented by this work ethic, and he became a Hall of Famer.

Dan Marino had "it" from the first snap he took as a rookie. Drew Brees needed 3 years before he showed that he has "it."

Sorry, drafting the "it" player really is harder then your cute litte story trys to make it. If James Harrison continues winning defensive player of the year awards and piling up sacks during the rest of his career, he could very well use his "it" to make the Hall of Fame. Guess what, nobody drafted him at all. And the Steelers cut him once or maybe even twice before he finally made the team. According to you, no way should the Steelers or any other team had given him his 3rd chance to make their teams, because his "it" wasn't "apparent" right away.

If Bruce Smith had to endure today's constant media attention he may might not have been the number 1 pick, but that said he was the most dominant DE coming out of college. Look at the '85 draft and see how top heavy the defensive front 7 was in the first 10 picks. James Harrison is an abberation in today's NFL coming from a mid-major school as an undrafted rookie. John Randle is the last unrfa to make the HOF. The point I was trying to make here is that Bruce was arguably the best DE at his position & Jerry Rice was at WR. Almost 50% of all HOFers are 1st round draft picks. Why waste a draft pick on a guy at a non-impact position ie: Derrick Burroughs when you got the #1 rated WR on your board?

Edited by BiggieScooby

Man oh man, you can critize a lot of Bills' drafts (in fact, there are about two or three dozen you can critize pretty easily). The 1985 draft wasn't one of them. Derrick Burroughs was a heck of a football player. He had one stupid play in the '88 AFC championship but he was easily our best corner (which is saying something on a team that had Nate Odomes). How about saying that if he didn't suffer a career ending injury in 1989, the Bills beat the Giants in '90 and go on to win one or two more Super Bowls. It's conceivable.

Also, can we please put to bed the constant drumbeat in multiple threads that someone Bruce Smith was a bordeline bust in his first year or two. He wasn't. He had 6.5 sacks his rookie year and 15 (!) in his second. Yeah, he got better but he didn't go from bad to good. He went from very good to unreal.

Almost 50% of all HOFers are 1st round draft picks. Why waste a draft pick on a guy at a non-impact position ie: Derrick Burroughs when you got the #1 rated WR on your board?

Jerry Rice ran a very slow 40 yard time…4.71 and as a result was drafted at just about where he was expected to be drafted…in other words despite a record-setting college career, his stock fell because he was perceived to be slow.

Obviously the Bills drafted Derrick Burroughs because they thought he was going to be a better player than Jerry Rice. Clearly they were wrong.

As far as your comment about a "non-impact" position, there are 22 defensive backs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and 21 wide receivers.

Jerry Rice ran a very slow 40 yard time…4.71 and as a result was drafted at just about where he was expected to be drafted…in other words despite a record-setting college career, his stock fell because he was perceived to be slow.

Obviously the Bills drafted Derrick Burroughs because they thought he was going to be a better player than Jerry Rice. Clearly they were wrong.

As far as your comment about a "non-impact" position, there are 22 defensive backs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and 21 wide receivers.

Let's get your facts straight bud, Rice ran a 4.60 40 and his draft stock did fall some because of it, but mainly because was from a "small" school and went against lesser competition. Coincidentally Rice's story is similar to another future HOFer the 49ers gambled on Terrell Owens from Chattanooga, who was coached and recruited by Buddy Nix http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3631062&campaign=rsssrch&source=draft.

Additionally I'm not going to let you get away with saying that their are more corners in the HOF then receivers when you are including Safeties into the conversation of Corners vs. Receivers. Not counting the 2011 class the count is 31 to 21. You must not know too much about football, the Flanker position from the 50s and the End position of the 30s & 40s were receivers. Frank Gifford was a great Flanker had 3609 rushing & 5434 receiving. Elroy Hirsch 7029 receiving 687 rushing. Charley Taylor 9110 receiving 1488 rushing. Now let's throw in the old End position from 1930s & 1940s, Wayne Millner 1578 receiving & 62 rushing. Pete Pihos 5619 receiving & -4 rushing. Tom Fears 5397 receiving & 15 yards rushing. Dante Lavelli 6488 receiving & 23 receiving. Raymond Berry 9275 receiving & 0 rushing.

If you want the list I'll gladly post it for you...

Let's get your facts straight bud, Rice ran a 4.60 40 and his draft stock did fall some because of it, but mainly because was from a "small" school and went against lesser competition. Coincidentally Rice's story is similar to another future HOFer the 49ers gambled on Terrell Owens from Chattanooga, who was coached and recruited by Buddy Nix http://sports.espn.g...h&source=draft.

Additionally I'm not going to let you get away with saying that their are more corners in the HOF then receivers when you are including Safeties into the conversation of Corners vs. Receivers. Not counting the 2011 class the count is 31 to 21. You must not know too much about football, the Flanker position from the 50s and the End position of the 30s & 40s were receivers. Frank Gifford was a great Flanker had 3609 rushing & 5434 receiving. Elroy Hirsch 7029 receiving 687 rushing. Charley Taylor 9110 receiving 1488 rushing. Now let's throw in the old End position from 1930s & 1940s, Wayne Millner 1578 receiving & 62 rushing. Pete Pihos 5619 receiving & -4 rushing. Tom Fears 5397 receiving & 15 yards rushing. Dante Lavelli 6488 receiving & 23 receiving. Raymond Berry 9275 receiving & 0 rushing.

If you want the list I'll gladly post it for you...

Despite the fact that I didn't assume a negative tone towards you, you decided not to extend me the same courtesy. Thanks for your insulting reply.

Secondly the information I have states that Jerry Rice ran a 4.71. If you dispute it, simply post the link to your information. If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it. It doesn't change the popularly held belief that his slow 40 time affected his draft status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Rice#cite_note-4

Rice's 1984 record-breaking season at Mississippi Valley caught the attention of many NFL scouts, but his speed (reportedly only 4.71 in the 40-yard dash)

In addition, I never said that there were more cornerbacks in the Hall of Fame than there were wide receivers. I was making the point that cornerback is not a "non-impact position."

Finally, apparently your football wisdom dwarfs mine…at least according to you. Congratulations.

Despite the fact that I didn't assume a negative tone towards you, you decided not to extend me the same courtesy. Thanks for your insulting reply.

Secondly the information I have states that Jerry Rice ran a 4.71. If you dispute it, simply post the link to your information. If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it. It doesn't change the popularly held belief that his slow 40 time affected his draft status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Rice#cite_note-4

Rice's 1984 record-breaking season at Mississippi Valley caught the attention of many NFL scouts, but his speed (reportedly only 4.71 in the 40-yard dash)

In addition, I never said that there were more cornerbacks in the Hall of Fame than there were wide receivers. I was making the point that cornerback is not a "non-impact position."

Finally, apparently your football wisdom dwarfs mine…at least according to you. Congratulations.

Why so serious? Did you read that article you posted? The article says 4.6 and Jerry Rice says he ran 4.5 in it. Either way click the link I attached in the earlier thread that puts Rice around a 4.6.

Corners are important, however I contend I'd rather have a great receiver than a great corner. See Jerry's Wiki page for his dominance over Deion "Prime-Time" Sanders.

Let's be honest my humble friend we all know you are intellectually superior than me.