OT: The Greates rapper ever does it again

daquixers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in all seriousness, ive never had to define a rubric which MCs are to be judged by but here goes...

First off, I'll start with "VOCAL TONE" - just like a singer, an MC uses his voice.  If someone's voice is completely unlistenable = bad MC.  Also, having a distinct vocal tone is a big plus.  Method Man has a voice that when you hear him speak, you recognize immediately as Method Man.  Notorious BIG was in the same boat.  It's almost impossible to duplicate their voices, a lot of people have tried to sound like Biggie, but no one can match it.

"FLOW" meaning the rhythm or cadence that the lyrics follow.  This is where an MC like Eminem shines.  He uses a lot of synchopation where the lyrics tend to "bounce".  On which count the "rhymed" word is spoken.  Sometimes its not the end of the line that rhymes, maybe the begining, or maybe its on "3".  The way you lyrically flow words and sentences together.  GZA from Wu-tang is so creative with his flows that he has songs where there is not one rhyme, but he's able to keep the song bouncing by knowing when to speak or when not to.

That brings us to "CONTENT".  A criteria that is often overlooked and over-shadowed by "FLOW" and "VOCAL TONE" and can be masked by "PRODUCTION".

(im not going to talk about production meaning= beats/background music, since we're discussing "rappers", and good production has been used to mask bad MCs)

"CONTENT" can refer to having a message (like Tupac) or creativity (like Aesop Rock whose lyrics border on abstract).  Redman uses a lot of creative similies and references things in pop-culture a lot of people do not think to use.  Also, we've all heard "Mercedes Benz" rhymed with "Ends" a million times, you have to come up with new rhymes, that is part of Kanye West's appeal

"Good" or "Great" MC's have combined at least all three of these.

Tupac was a poet at heart, what stands him apart is his "CONTENT", but without a good "FLOW" and "VOCAL TONE", he'd just be that guy on the sidewalk writing poems for quarters.

Method Man was born with a distinct "VOCAL TONE", but his "FLOWS" are some of the finest (you have to have rhythm to rap btw), and his "CONTENT" is always interesting.

and GZA can "FLOW" anything bt you have to be able to listen to him and he has to be able to come up with something interesting to say.

(side note: a lot of the criteria has to do with being hard to duplicate, in a genre where all the "ol foggies" say they just steal music, its sort of overlooked because its the vocals that take precidence.  In judging strictly the MC, the beat should be dropped all together, and accapella, he should be able to stand out)

165009[/snapback]

Best post this board has seen in a while!! I applaud you!

I dont know about you guys but the greatest rapper in my mind is my wife. I have no patience for that sh--. Anyone but me rapping is the greatest in my mind.  I like putting the little bow's on the presents but thats about it. My gifts look like crap when I try to rap them.

162180[/snapback]

Mine always tear at the corners.

Guest TubThumper
in all seriousness, ive never had to define a rubric which MCs are to be judged by but here goes...

First off, I'll start with "VOCAL TONE" - just like a singer, an MC uses his voice.  If someone's voice is completely unlistenable = bad MC.  Also, having a distinct vocal tone is a big plus.  Method Man has a voice that when you hear him speak, you recognize immediately as Method Man.  Notorious BIG was in the same boat.  It's almost impossible to duplicate their voices, a lot of people have tried to sound like Biggie, but no one can match it.

"FLOW" meaning the rhythm or cadence that the lyrics follow.  This is where an MC like Eminem shines.  He uses a lot of synchopation where the lyrics tend to "bounce".  On which count the "rhymed" word is spoken.  Sometimes its not the end of the line that rhymes, maybe the begining, or maybe its on "3".  The way you lyrically flow words and sentences together.  GZA from Wu-tang is so creative with his flows that he has songs where there is not one rhyme, but he's able to keep the song bouncing by knowing when to speak or when not to.

That brings us to "CONTENT".  A criteria that is often overlooked and over-shadowed by "FLOW" and "VOCAL TONE" and can be masked by "PRODUCTION".

(im not going to talk about production meaning= beats/background music, since we're discussing "rappers", and good production has been used to mask bad MCs)

"CONTENT" can refer to having a message (like Tupac) or creativity (like Aesop Rock whose lyrics border on abstract).  Redman uses a lot of creative similies and references things in pop-culture a lot of people do not think to use.  Also, we've all heard "Mercedes Benz" rhymed with "Ends" a million times, you have to come up with new rhymes, that is part of Kanye West's appeal

"Good" or "Great" MC's have combined at least all three of these.

Tupac was a poet at heart, what stands him apart is his "CONTENT", but without a good "FLOW" and "VOCAL TONE", he'd just be that guy on the sidewalk writing poems for quarters.

Method Man was born with a distinct "VOCAL TONE", but his "FLOWS" are some of the finest (you have to have rhythm to rap btw), and his "CONTENT" is always interesting.

and GZA can "FLOW" anything bt you have to be able to listen to him and he has to be able to come up with something interesting to say.

(side note: a lot of the criteria has to do with being hard to duplicate, in a genre where all the "ol foggies" say they just steal music, its sort of overlooked because its the vocals that take precidence.  In judging strictly the MC, the beat should be dropped all together, and accapella, he should be able to stand out)

165009[/snapback]

That's pretty good - pretty good indeed. Of course, "ol foggies [sic]" tend to reject rap as we know it today on those same grounds. I could go on and on, but when you really understand that "there is no new thing under the sun," and you've seen the process before, you're just not gonna bite on sophomoric stuff and call it profound.