Jon Bon Jovi blames Steve Jobs for killing the music business

The Poojer

couple of notes from an old bugger

-- there was far more to vinyl than snap, crackle or pop. there was nothing like heading out to the record store (yes, that's what they were called), and rushing back home to get that thing home, tearing off the wrapping (much easier than it is opening a cd), pulling out the sleeve or maybe opening up the gateful and getting that thing on the record player (yes, that's what we called them).

it was almost a religious-like experience, especially when this record was one you had been anticipating to hear for days or weeks.

the cd experience is not entirely the same. and purchasing songs or albums on the internet is entirely different. i just downloaded Ida Maria's "Fortress 'Round My Heart," a great album that i couldn't find to buy anywhere. trouble was, there were no liner notes, no production notes, no thank you's, just a itunes screen listing the songs.

bah, humbug.

-- as for creed, i sit corrected. while i didn't know how or where they got their start, my life would have been more complete had they not started at all. as for them being self-made, well, now i know there's no one else to blame for their infilthtration (sic). :flirt:

jw

And, do they even make album covers anymore. I can't think of a single one from the last 15 years or so..........That was definitely all part of the experience.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, do they even make album covers anymore. I can't think of a single one from the last 15 years or so..........That was definitely all part of the experience.

packaging is still wickedly important in the underground, though I don't think a cover has really broken into pop culture in a decade.

records on Southern Lord are pretty amazing. Gorgeous graphics and thick gatefold sleeves. Still love the experience of poring over the sleeve and liner notes when I first get a record. Drag that's something that is mostly lost to time.

Pretty much all of the new music I buy, I get on vinyl. Typically, the record comes with a code for a free download of the album. So I get my geeky turntable jones and I can burn it do cd for the car and have it on my computer & ipod too.

Record shopping is one of my great little pleasures in this world. And I'm excited to see more & more stuff available on vinyl. My latest purchase: Childish Prodigy by Kurt Vile. Very very nice. :thumbsup:

Pretty much all of the new music I buy, I get on vinyl. Typically, the record comes with a code for a free download of the album. So I get my geeky turntable jones and I can burn it do cd for the car and have it on my computer & ipod too.

Record shopping is one of my great little pleasures in this world. And I'm excited to see more & more stuff available on vinyl. My latest purchase: Childish Prodigy by Kurt Vile. Very very nice. :thumbsup:

That's a GREAT album, man. I just got his new one (smoke ring for my halo) and it slays as well. Since you dig him check out Fresh & Onlys. Same vibe but different energy.

That's a GREAT album, man. I just got his new one (smoke ring for my halo) and it slays as well. Since you dig him check out Fresh & Onlys. Same vibe but different energy.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

A friend of mine just went to see Kurt Vile and J Mascis here in Atlanta. He got to meet and talk with Kurt for a while before the show. Said he was very cool and nice. They talked a bit about John Fahey. My friend was so excited about it, he couldn't contain himself.