Some points re offseason and related matters

jahnyc

1. It has been 11 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Why is Ralph telling us it is going to be another two or three years before we make the playoffs again? That is poor marketing and makes no sense in a league where teams can turn things around very quickly.

2. Every offseason I am hopeful that the Bills will fill holes and improve the roster. The last number of years I have been disappointed, because each offseason the Bills create new holes and fail to fill the old holes or the new holes. I know that Stroud was probably overpaid, but do we really think that Carrington or Johnson is ready to fill that spot? Florence, Whitner, Wilson and Youboty will all be free agents and I doubt we will re-sign any of them other than maybe Wilson. It is fine if we have or sign replacements, otherwise, the Bills are just creating more holes.

3. Posters on the board seem to get excited when we cut a veteran that may be overpaid, particularly since they think that it means that the Bills will use the money for free agents. This has not been the case. If there was a salary cap, I bet we would be under the floor. Our payroll must be one of the lowest in the NFL. We have no stars and the Bills cut (or do not re-sign) veteran players.

4. Drafting a DE with our first pick in this draft will show why the Maybin pick hurts so much.

5. Will Poz be back? Is he a solid LB?

6. Can the Bills please draft a TE that can play? NE picked up two TEs in the draft that contributed significantly in their rookie seasons.

7. Can the Bills please draft some players that will contribute in their first year?

8. The Bills need a RT badly. I hope we use our second round pick to address the o-line. If Wood becomes the starting center, what happens to Hangartner? Would he play RG or would they need to find a RG?

9. I like Fitzpatrick and I think he deserves a chance behind an improved o-line.

1. It has been 11 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Why is Ralph telling us it is going to be another two or three years before we make the playoffs again? That is poor marketing and makes no sense in a league where teams can turn things around very quickly. I don't know if I agree, I mean, would you rather hit put a sht eating grin on and tell us that we're gonna win it all next year, book our tickets now?

2. Every offseason I am hopeful that the Bills will fill holes and improve the roster. The last number of years I have been disappointed, because each offseason the Bills create new holes and fail to fill the old holes or the new holes. I know that Stroud was probably overpaid, but do we really think that Carrington or Johnson is ready to fill that spot? Florence, Whitner, Wilson and Youboty will all be free agents and I doubt we will re-sign any of them other than maybe Wilson. It is fine if we have or sign replacements, otherwise, the Bills are just creating more holes. In hindsight we made some bad signings, but there really have not been that many big FA's to hit the market the past few years. We did great with Florence. I agree cutting Stroud might have been a bit early - I would have loved to see him restructured and signed another 3 years. In two years if Troup and Carrington step up their games, with Johnson and <gulp> McCargo, we could be pretty good.

3. Posters on the board seem to get excited when we cut a veteran that may be overpaid, particularly since they think that it means that the Bills will use the money for free agents. This has not been the case. If there was a salary cap, I bet we would be under the floor. Our payroll must be one of the lowest in the NFL. We have no stars and the Bills cut (or do not re-sign) veteran players. I do not know of very many stars on this roster, even Moorman had a poor year, and Williams did good - but...I'll be blunt, I am not sure it will continue next year with all the shake up. We have never been good at bringing in top FA's and have always developed our own, often time to let them sign elsewhere. Spending the money to have kept P.Williams, Ted Washington, Clements, P.Price, Winfield, Fletcher, Spikes, Rueben Brown, and Jason Peters ---we'd be more bloated then the Skins...

4. Drafting a DE with our first pick in this draft will show why the Maybin pick hurts so much. That thought never occured to me, and now that it did. :wallbash::wallbash:

5. Will Poz be back? Is he a solid LB? Can you not say he's solid? He is. He's not an allstar, he's not the best, but he is worth his starting spot and would be starting for most any other team out there.

6. Can the Bills please draft a TE that can play? NE picked up two TEs in the draft that contributed significantly in their rookie seasons. Which is why I want the ND kid, Ruddolph, I was high on Hernandez last year and really wanted him. TE has been a position that has haunted us since we let Metzelaars go.

7. Can the Bills please draft some players that will contribute in their first year? Oh, funny you, inserting jokes in your post. hardy har har

8. The Bills need a RT badly. I hope we use our second round pick to address the o-line. If Wood becomes the starting center, what happens to Hangartner? Would he play RG or would they need to find a RG? Hangartner bounced around to a few positions while in Carolina, it would be nice to see him on this roster for depth. As far as RT, anything but a Langston Walker f-up. We do not need a stop gap, we need a developing young player.

9. I like Fitzpatrick and I think he deserves a chance behind an improved o-line. Imagine Sanchez as our QB and Fitz having the Jets line. That right there can give you an idea of just how right you are!

Edited by jboyst62