Current mocks...Pete Prisco & Chad Reuter say Gabbert

Beerball

Nice post. I agree with you, basically.

However, I do take issue with posters like you (and there are a LOT of them on this board), who spew vitriol like "I think that the typical claims of certainty of a stone cold lock in terms of what he WILL do or SHOULD do say a lot more about the stupidity of the poster making this dead certain claim than they do about reality." when they encounter other posters who express their opinions in a different way than you do.

Consider...you and I said essentially the same thing but in two different ways, but your reaction is to invoke a personal insult ("stupidity") rather than just trust your own ability to convey your opinion in your way and allow others to convey their opinion in their way.

Frankly, I'm continually disappointed when I read junk like that on this board.

However, I like your take on the Gabbert debate, otherwise. ;)

I hear and understand where you are coming from as actually my over the top vitriol is actually prompted by what I interpret as the over the top vitriol by those who seem to insist that their opinions are more than just opinions but are fact (actually many of these rants are what I call fact-free opinions).

You raise a legitimate point that perhaps the best way to fight against groundless personal attacks is not to resort to personal attacks (even if they are grounded in facts or do not claim that my opinions are stone cold certainties which are beyond dispute.

Taking the high road is the better way, but in the word of Jester Jackson, God has not finished with me yet and I am a lot less perfect than I want to be.

- We cannot stop the run or set the edge to save our lives

- We used two high picks on the D line last year

And a part of me wants to keep drafting players for the front-seven until we get it right. The Bills should be nicknamed "the team that made Willie Parker famous". They haven't been able to stop the run or rush the passer reliably for YEARS.

Having said that....

1) I'm not a fan of Newton. I don't like the offense he played in at Auburn. Gabbert bothers me in somewhat of the same way, plus he's a Junior. But if the CBA and/or salary cap isn't changed to lower the rookie salaries, a QB (or a OT) might be one of the few offensive positions worth investing in at #3. See #2.

2) Von Miller might be a stretch since it isn't often you see a LB go that high. His size (weight-wise) is worrysome to me. It's a true need though.

3) If I were the Bills I'd start making googly-eyes at CB Patrick Peterson if he's there at #3 (maybe WR A.J. Green too) and try to find a trade-down partner that wants one. Heck, maybe Peterson is the pick; McKelvin is inconsistent, McGee looks old and broken-down at this point, and Florence is a UFA.

Babble off.

And a part of me wants to keep drafting players for the front-seven until we get it right. The Bills should be nicknamed "the team that made Willie Parker famous". They haven't been able to stop the run or rush the passer reliably for YEARS.

Having said that....

1) I'm not a fan of Newton. I don't like the offense he played in at Auburn. Gabbert bothers me in somewhat of the same way, plus he's a Junior. But if the CBA and/or salary cap isn't changed to lower the rookie salaries, a QB (or a OT) might be one of the few offensive positions worth investing in at #3. See #2.

2) Von Miller might be a stretch since it isn't often you see a LB go that high. His size (weight-wise) is worrysome to me. It's a true need though.

3) If I were the Bills I'd start making googly-eyes at CB Patrick Peterson if he's there at #3 (maybe WR A.J. Green too) and try to find a trade-down partner that wants one. Heck, maybe Peterson is the pick; McKelvin is inconsistent, McGee looks old and broken-down at this point, and Florence is a UFA.

Babble off.

I would be totally happy with Patrick Peterson especially if we transition back to the 4-3 per Vic Carucci. We have invested 2 high picks in the draft in DL last year (albeit 3-4), throw in Merriman and Batten to our LB corps and our only real weakness would be the secondary (including Safety). Fitz is young still and has not had a full year to learn under Chan, but he is serviceable for the next few years. Simply going back to the 4-3 changes the entire draft. Our needs would then be:

CB

SS

RT

TE

DE

OLB

QB

RG

Having said that....

Babble off.

I like Gabbert. Hes the only QB that looked good in the Senior bowl. Im pretty sure Ralph is going to go after this kid. The fans have benn crying for a QB and thats what he said he was going to get.Have if you can trade down and get him then that would be awesome.

I just have a felling it's going to be Gabbert or Newton in the end...Just a gut thing... B-)

My gut is saying the same, but I really think they are leaning toward Gabbert and that scares me.

Honestly, drafing any of these QB's at #3 is like drawing to am inside straight, if you get what you want is awesome, but still lucky. Versus playing the hand dealt and building slowly with a solid foundation.

Because Gailey (prefers mobile, athletic QBs given his choice) is our coach and Nix (heavy scouting of southern players and aversion to QBs who don't win in college) is our GM. If they were thinking of picking a QB, why in the world would they pick a Blaine Gabbert over a Cam Newton? Gabbert has nothing on Newton, not arm strength, not athleticism, not size, not his record in college, nothing except POSSIBLY the ability to contribute earlier and need to learn less (though, I kind of doubt this, since they are both coming from spread offenses) and that's really not a consideration with Fitzpatrick in the fold and the fact that any QB drafted would sit this year.

So, what in the world would make anyone think the Bills would draft Gabbert over Newton? Only someone with utterly no knowledge of the team and the people making the decisions, I would think.

Personally, again, I don't advocate a QB at #3 at all with this year's crop, but to me there's just no way it's Gabbert.

How many games did Newton win in 2009? oh I forgot it was zero because he did not play. Then how many in 2008? I know same answer.

Gabbert is 18-8 over the past two years and he carried that team frequently.

I will also bet Gabbert's wunderlic score will be higher.

Honestly, at this point I do not want either QB.