Cam Newton is the next Akili Smith

freester

Cam Newton is a one year wonder like Akili Smith. He has questionable intangibles and work ethic. I have zero confidence in Nix's ability to run the draft.

You have this all wrong. Sure drafting Newton may be a risk for any team that needs a franchise quarterback. Shades of Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf are still hanging over Cincinnati and San Diego over a decade after they drafted them.

But Nix would never draft him anyway! While Buddy tries to come off like the "good ol lifetime football guy" chewing his chaw and telling us in his country drawl that he is not the smartest guy in the room, I personally think he does have the biggest ego in the room. Drafting Newton would be awesome for the Buffalo Bills heading into "year 2" of the Nix-Gailey era. Chan loves offense, and he would love to have an athlete like Cam Newton to plan an offense around. Look at how well Cordell Stewart did when Chan was the OC for the Steelers years ago. The buzz would be back in Buffalo about 10 times more then the one year T.O. blessed us with his presence. You think Mike Vick would have been big here, imagine this young kid coming in signed for 4 or 5 years with Gailey to coach him and Fitzy to mentor him.

And that is exactly why I know Nix won't draft him. After watching Nix in last year's draft, he reminds me of a slightly more conservative Tom Donahoe. Nix seems to look around for the "unique" unexpected draft pick. Nobody thought he would draft Spiller number 9, and who in Bills nation knew who the hell Terrel Troup or Alex Carrington were??

No, instead of taking any of the top players rated on all the draft guru's boards at number 3, guys like Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker, or the best DT or DE or LB or even OT - guys that the experts will be touting as good solid picks for the Bills at number 3, won't be good enough for our Buddy. But since the number 3 pick is so coveted and high profile, no way could Buddy reach for one of his small school "finds". So my prediction is that Nix will simply trade down for extra picks. Safe way to go, and nobody will blame him since the Bills have so many holes to fill.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic