OT - Bowling is a joke

Ok, I'll try and set the stage for youse guys.....

Ol Chalkie G used to be a terror on the lanes back in his youthful days at Sheridan Lanes. Well, if you consider a kid at 12 who hit a 205 and about a 530.....I suppose that isn't too bad. Had the talent certainly, game progressed some into the 170s in high school for an average.

After that it was hit and miss.....went to the lanes sometimes, often didn't. Last time I was in a league was prolly 5 years ago.....finished out with about a 190 average. Finally hit a 700 series, actually twice and came away with a high game of 278.

Anyway, the scores keep getting higher. I only go bowling once every year or two. A couple years ago I'm at that Voelker's place on Amherst St. and roll a 230 in my first game, well over 600 for a series.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday......Haven't gone bowling in two years time and my first game is a 255, 6 pack......then a 233, and then a 197.....a friggin 685 and I haven't gone bowling in two years?!?!?!?!?

The game is a travesty.....time to fire off a letter to the HQ Bowling Association in wonderful St. Louie, Missourah.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ol Chalkie G used to be a terror on the lanes back in his youthful days at Sheridan Lanes.  Well, if you consider a kid at 12 who hit a 205 and about a 530.....I suppose that isn't too bad.  Had the talent certainly, game progressed some into the 170s in high school for an average. 

After that it was hit and miss.....went to the lanes sometimes, often didn't.  Last time I was in a league was prolly 5 years ago.....finished out with about a 190 average.  Finally hit a 700 series, actually twice and came away with a high game of 278.

Anyway, the scores keep getting higher.  I only go bowling once every year or two.  A couple years ago I'm at that Voelker's place on Amherst St. and roll a 230 in my first game, well over 600 for a series.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday......Haven't gone bowling in two years time and my first game is a 255, 6 pack......then a 233, and then a 197.....a friggin 685 and I haven't gone bowling in two years?!?!?!?!?

The game is a travesty.....time to fire off a letter to the HQ Bowling Association in wonderful St. Louie, Missourah.

156420[/snapback]

Maybe you're just good. You know, like that guy in Rainman was at blackjack. :D

Maybe you're just good.  You know, like that guy in Rainman was at blackjack.  ;)

156423[/snapback]

I was counting pins. :D

I don't know what to make of it......doesn't make any sense. I realize the technology has improved to the point in the game that it's like that Tom & Jerry cartoon where Tom has the remote control whistle and knocks down all the pins.

The game really loses more credibility if the challenge level drops.

I was counting pins.  :D

I don't know what to make of it......doesn't make any sense.  I realize the technology has improved to the point in the game that it's like that Tom & Jerry cartoon where Tom has the remote control whistle and knocks down all the pins.

156433[/snapback]

I haven't bowled in years but occasionally I see something about it on television. Apparently lane conditions have improved alot over the years.

Maybe you're just good.  You know, like that guy in Rainman was at blackjack.  :D

156423[/snapback]

This Alaskan clown does nothing but go to posts and put smart ass comments. I've looked at his posts tonight. They're all of the smart ass variety. Hey dude, If you're running for "Jerk of The Board" you can stop campaigning, you've already won in a landslide. . .

I was counting pins.  :D

I don't know what to make of it......doesn't make any sense.  I realize the technology has improved to the point in the game that it's like that Tom & Jerry cartoon where Tom has the remote control whistle and knocks down all the pins.

156433[/snapback]

Some folks make some very excellent money bowling , if it is that easy for you , you owe to yourself it to enter a few tournaments and see where you stand against othes who do well. Maybe you are the next Mark Roth or Earl Anthony. ;)

This Alaskan clown does nothing but go to posts and put smart ass comments. I've looked at his posts tonight. They're all of the smart ass variety. Hey dude, If you're running for "Jerk of The Board" you can stop campaigning, you've already won in a landslide. . .

156436[/snapback]

Dude, you matter.

Some folks make some very excellent money bowling ,  if it is that easy for you , you owe to yourself  it to enter a few tournaments and see where you stand against othes who do well. Maybe you are the next Mark Roth or Earl Anthony. :D

156437[/snapback]

I was always partial to Marshall Holman and his really bad comb over.

156436[/snapback]

It's called witty humor, guy.......it's pretty clear the point of his posts is not to be a jerk. Usually if what he writes is more biting, it's rightfully deserved (e.g. ICE.....or maybe.....you? :D )

I haven't bowled in years but occasionally I see something about it on television.  Apparently lane conditions have improved alot over the years.

156435[/snapback]

a big factor is thecompostion of the bowling ball, new materials make it possible to get tighter rotation. Also I think they do not oil the lanes as much as they used to , so they can get higher scores. When the lanes are oiled properly , as they are used the oil shifts changing the pocket, if there is less oil on the lanes the pocket stays constant and is easier for players to achieve higher scores..... to market the game they want higher scores....

a big factor is thecompostion of the bowling ball, new materials make it possible to get tighter rotation.  Also I think they do not oil the lanes as much as they used to , so they can get higher scores.

156443[/snapback]

I figured the equipment was better, technology being what it is. I saw a ball that looked like it had a skull in it - it was wicked friggin' cool. Well, in that bowling sort of way. :D

Ol Chalkie G used to be a terror on the lanes back in his youthful days at Sheridan Lanes.  Well, if you consider a kid at 12 who hit a 205 and about a 530.....I suppose that isn't too bad.  Had the talent certainly, game progressed some into the 170s in high school for an average. 

After that it was hit and miss.....went to the lanes sometimes, often didn't.  Last time I was in a league was prolly 5 years ago.....finished out with about a 190 average.  Finally hit a 700 series, actually twice and came away with a high game of 278.

Anyway, the scores keep getting higher.  I only go bowling once every year or two.  A couple years ago I'm at that Voelker's place on Amherst St. and roll a 230 in my first game, well over 600 for a series.

156420[/snapback]

Don't take your talent for granted. Use it to your advantage.

Dude, you matter.

156439[/snapback]

Hey, really good comeback there guy. . . you're too smart and witty for little ole' me to tangle with. I'd better not exchange barbs with you. You might even top the previous one. . . I wish I was important around here as you are. I'll make that my goal. :D

Hey, really good comeback there guy. . . you're too smart and witty for little ole' me to tangle with. I'd better not exchange barbs with you. You might even top the previous one. . . I wish I was important around here as you are. I'll make that my goal. :D

156449[/snapback]

The quality of the "comeback" is measured by the worthiness of the opposition. When you've been around more than a proverbial hour, I may bother with you. Until that day, practice singing your fight song, rookie.

Obviously, you didn't understand the smiley in the "sabbatical" post, so nuance ain't your thing. Maybe someday you'll lighten up and realize a dude with fewer than 200 posts ain't in any position to play the role of board conscience.

On the importance thing, thanks for the props. Shoot for the moon, hero.

BTW, the "guy" thing at the end of the sentence jumped the shark in the early 1990s. Lose it and the mullet you're probably still sporting.

Hence the reason I identified with him!  :D

Dick Webber was my dad's favorite.  We also regularly watched that "Bowling for Dollars" show hosted by Ron DeFrance.  Man, do I have a memory for stupid stevestojan.

156450[/snapback]

back to back Chuck Healy and Dick Rifenbeg..... wrestling and bowling

Dick Weber was the Arnie of Bowling , perhaps Earl the Jack... Dick Weber son Pete became very excellent pro bowler. I remember this also...... ;)