McGahee @ Miami... < 100 yards

Dan Gross

Something I've thought about, and it's way too late to post it (actually e-mailed it to Howard Simon, as he made a topic of it after the St. Louis game), but what the heck....

Step back to the St. Louis game, the Bills' last offensive series. While St. Louis had one time out left, the Bills could have easily taken a knee three times and got out of there. But Willis is at 95 yards, so what happens? Run McGahee on 1st down, 5 yards gained, now he has a 100 yard game...Hmmmm, smells kinda like they tried to "make stats." I'm not going to pass judgement on it, but it certainly looks that way.

Fast forward to this weekend. Garbage time, the Bills' last possession, McGahee's at 95 yards. Now they have to run time off the clock. McGahee may be the best person to do that, but it's garbage time and he's dinged up...does he really need to be out there? 1st down: -3 yards. 2nd down: -2 yards. 3rd down: 1 yard. Ending Total: 91 yards.

Oops...

Something I've thought about, and it's way too late to post it (actually e-mailed it to Howard Simon, as he made a topic of it after the St. Louis game), but what the heck....

Step back to the St. Louis game, the Bills' last offensive series.  While St. Louis had one time out left, the Bills could have easily taken a knee three times and got out of there.  But Willis is at 95 yards, so what happens?  Run McGahee on 1st down, 5 yards gained, now he has a 100 yard game...Hmmmm, smells kinda like they tried to "make stats."  I'm not going to pass judgement on it, but it certainly looks that way.

Fast forward to this weekend.  Garbage time, the Bills' last possession, McGahee's at 95 yards.  Now they have to run time off the clock.  McGahee may be the best person to do that, but it's garbage time and he's dinged up...does he really need to be out there?  1st down: -3 yards.  2nd down: -2 yards.  3rd down: 1 yard. Ending Total: 91 yards. 

Oops...

154546[/snapback]

You think to much..... :blink:

Fast forward to this weekend.  Garbage time, the Bills' last possession, McGahee's at 95 yards.  Now they have to run time off the clock.  McGahee may be the best person to do that, but it's garbage time and he's dinged up...does he really need to be out there?  1st down: -3 yards.  2nd down: -2 yards.  3rd down: 1 yard. Ending Total: 91 yards. 

Oops...

154546[/snapback]

I got that feeling during the Miami game, but I see no problem with that. As long as the game is tucked away, it may not be a bad idea to pad some stats.

Step back to the St. Louis game, the Bills' last offensive series.  While St. Louis had one time out left, the Bills could have easily taken a knee three times and got out of there.  But Willis is at 95 yards, so what happens?  Run McGahee on 1st down, 5 yards gained, now he has a 100 yard game...Hmmmm, smells kinda like they tried to "make stats."  I'm not going to pass judgement on it, but it certainly looks that way.

Oops...

154546[/snapback]

I think against the Rams, they wanted to make sure the Rams weren't going to call any timeouts. They ran the ball once, ST. Louis didn't call TO, so they knelt it.

I could be wrong though, as I didn't check if they had any TOs left. Sounds possible though.

CW

Oops...

154546[/snapback]

You usually see these types of things in games. Makes the player feel good that they hit a certain milestone, which in turn makes the player like the coach a little more. There is always the possibility of someone getting hurt, but getting hurt is part of the game. Nothing wrong with tossing a bone to the player.

You usually see these types of things in games. Makes the player feel good that they hit a certain milestone, which in turn makes the player like the coach a little more. There is always the possibility of someone getting hurt, but getting hurt is part of the game. Nothing wrong with tossing a bone to the player.

154752[/snapback]

Like I said, I'm not passing judgement. A part of good coaching is getting along with the players, and as you said this kind of move is not ignored, not only by team mates but opposing players. It's as good a statement of your coaching style as benching, etc at the opposite end. I've been seeing plenty of that from the coaching staff this year, and I even lauded Gray for having the cahones to listen to Sam Adams instead of reprimanding him for being a "cry-baby" in order to assert authority as coach...

But there are also underlying "rules of sportsmanship" that the "football Gods" oversee. MM's been great at that too (how many times have we ended a blowout by kneeling in the red zone?....heck Martz would have been going for it, and you know Indy would have been trying to get Manning one more passing TD...). In the St. Louis game it was tricky, because you wanted to get McGahee his yardage (and maybe send a warning to St. Louis not to call the time out....though I don't know what they'd do in 30 seconds with no time outs and the ball inside their 10....), but you ran the risk of him breaking through to the end zone and making it appear like you were running up the score.

It's just funny to me how a pretty obvious "coaching move for stats" ended up blowing up at them in this game. Funny because we won of course. ;)

Also there may be a chance for incentive bonuses for McGahee that have to do with hitting the 100 yard mark.  So they thought they'd give him a chance to do that.  Just a thought.

154764[/snapback]

So you're saying that Mularkey is trying to put us in salary cap Hell? ;)

Sorry, slipped into "rudy mode" for a minute....