Call of Duty: Black Ops

Wooderson

Alright, 2 days in and here are my thought on the MP so far:

The maps are HUGE, definitely going to take some time to learn the best routes, and best spots.

Nuketown seemed pretty small the one time I played it. Either that or the spawns were absolutely horrible. Everybody kept spawning together in the same spot so the kill count was through the roof.

Killstreaks don't add on to one another. A predator missile used to guarantee a harrier strike. Now only kills by your gun/ equipment count towards your killstreak. This is good and bad. Good because you're not getting killed by 3 chopper gunners every match, but bad because you will be getting killed by 3 RC cars every match. The enemy team will also have a spy plane up more most of the match, so Ghost is a good perk to use in slot 1.

The spy planes seem pretty damn useful too. Before I unlocked ghost, it seemed like if there was one up in the air, people were always waiting for me the second I rounded any corner. My only complaint about those spy planes though is that I'm currently trying to shoot them down but it takes me far too long to spot it in the sky.

The currency system is a little weird to me. I have no idea which guns are good (most haven't been in a COD game before.). But you can't try them before you buy them. So you have to spend 2000 on a gun, and 1000 for any attachment. Pretty expensive early on. And if the gun sucks, you're SOL, that money is gone.

I'm so reluctant to spend the money on anything right now. I've only been willing to take the chance on one of the low paying contracts, but only because it was ridiculously simple.

The knife distance is pretty ridiculous IMO. It seems to be about a half commando, and as always whoever is host has a clear advantage. Pretty annoying.

I haven't had that problem yet. I've been having some crappy connection issues though. A couple times last night my knife went right through someone's chest, then he circled around and shot me.

Speaking of the spas, the shotguns are back to their WAW uselessness. Example, yesterday I'm playing domination. Some guy is trying to cap the b flag, from roughly 4-5 feet away I hit him with a blast dead center... hit marker. Get used to hit markers if you want to use a shotgun, they are plentiful.

I sneaked my way up into a sniper tower behind a guy yesterday, then shot him in the head with my shotgun from about a foot away. Yes somehow it didn't connect and he managed to turn around and shoot me. Must be another connection issue. But yeah, I had other times where I landed two short range shotgun blasts that didn't manage to kill the guy.

The snipers are pretty bad (awful actually). To prevent the quickscopes from MW2, now when you zoom in, the reticule zooms in on a random spot. You have to adjust every single shot a lot more than before. Either you hardscope, or you don't snipe.

I'm awful with the snipers, so this doesn't bug me one bit. I did try one briefly yesterday but only managed to land one single bullet. This one was kind of annoying actually. I somehow managed to pull off an awesome shot and hit a guy out of midair as he was jumping off a balcony. Unfortunately it didn't kill him and I got an assisted suicide instead.

My big hope for the next time I turn it on is that I can find some better connections. I've read some stuff saying you can switch to a mode where it will search for local matches. Hopefully that takes care of things because I got disconnected way too many times yesterday.

I just played a game of demolition where I spawned in front of someone 4 times in a row. Not good black ops, not good.

saw you on there last night-i was a little hammered from happy hour so i wasn't "focusing" very well! got smoked in most of my games

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody else disappointed with the game? Idk, maybe it's just me but I enjoyed the last 3 CODs much more when they came out then I do this one. It just doesn't seem to hold my interest as long as the other ones. Oh well, maybe it'll grow on me.

Anybody else disappointed with the game? Idk, maybe it's just me but I enjoyed the last 3 CODs much more when they came out then I do this one. It just doesn't seem to hold my interest as long as the other ones. Oh well, maybe it'll grow on me.

I have the exact opposite feeling right now. There are no aspects of the game that are broken. There is no cheating. It's finally a fair fight. I go into every game knowing that the better team will win, the better player will win the gunfight.

I sold MW2 after a month because of all of the BS (Danger close noob toobs, endless killstreaks, commando etc.). WAW was really fun until everyone figured out the super class (MP40 with juggernaut). Cod 4 was great, but it's hard to go back because of all of the grenade spam.

IN black ops the guns are balanced and the killstreaks are balanced (even if the RC car is a bit annoying). Since there is no more stopping power, you can finally switch up your classes. Even the emblem creator is fun to mess around with.

I have the exact opposite feeling right now. There are no aspects of the game that are broken. There is no cheating. It's finally a fair fight. I go into every game knowing that the better team will win, the better player will win the gunfight.

I sold MW2 after a month because of all of the BS (Danger close noob toobs, endless killstreaks, commando etc.). WAW was really fun until everyone figured out the super class (MP40 with juggernaut). Cod 4 was great, but it's hard to go back because of all of the grenade spam.

IN black ops the guns are balanced and the killstreaks are balanced (even if the RC car is a bit annoying). Since there is no more stopping power, you can finally switch up your classes. Even the emblem creator is fun to mess around with.

agreed on all counts, friggin RC car...only been playing since Friday, but it is a fair fight. BTW fought in Nuke Town yesterday...that one is a frenzied kill zone!

The only major problem with the game is the serious connection issues (on the PS3 anyway). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. The worst is when you make it all the way through a long game then it suddenly boots you in the last minute. It has also caused my machine to freeze several times, something I've never had happen even once with any other games.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it. The chopper gunners and gun ships are really annoying though. It tells me with ghost pro they can't see me, but I still get killed over and over when those are in the air. Luckily, people don't get them too often. The only other thing that bugs me is when I wind up in a game against an organized group of friends. It winds up being impossible to even move. But hey, that kind of stuff happens.

agreed on all counts, friggin RC car...only been playing since Friday, but it is a fair fight. BTW fought in Nuke Town yesterday...that one is a frenzied kill zone!

Nuke Town is great. I watched a teammate put up 154 kills there one match. He got a chopper gunner and then went to town. The other team was ridiculously bad because even with those 154 kills, I also managed to put up the most kills I ever had in a game, 50-something.

I almost want to try to go 0-0 on that map. I've found a pretty good low traffic hiding spot.

The only major problem with the game is the serious connection issues (on the PS3 anyway). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. The worst is when you make it all the way through a long game then it suddenly boots you in the last minute. It has also caused my machine to freeze several times, something I've never had happen even once with any other games.

Nuke Town is great. I watched a teammate put up 154 kills there one match. He got a chopper gunner and then went to town. The other team was ridiculously bad because even with those 154 kills, I also managed to put up the most kills I ever had in a game, 50-something.

I almost want to try to go 0-0 on that map. I've found a pretty good low traffic hiding spot.

I'm on Xbox and the booting only happened once to me...coincidently it happened to be a great game for me. :wallbash:

Nuke Town is so freakin' condensed it's refreshing, the respawning with the other team only happened to me once and I killed them all! :thumbsup: 154 kills is just amazing! Hell, 50 is amazing! I can't imagine there is a low traffic spot on that map.

Last time I looked at my stats, I had been killed by the RC car 91 times. More than all of the other killstreaks have killed me combined...

That's why I play ground war a lot. No nuke town. I hate most of the tiny maps in Cod games.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it. The chopper gunners and gun ships are really annoying though. It tells me with ghost pro they can't see me, but I still get killed over and over when those are in the air. Luckily, people don't get them too often. The only other thing that bugs me is when I wind up in a game against an organized group of friends. It winds up being impossible to even move. But hey, that kind of stuff happens.

I'm having connection problems too. 90% of the time when I finish a match, the connection is lost before the next match can start. It does get annoying when I get a good game (on a 3-4 bar connection), in a lobby where I am probably the best player, then I get booted. Inevitably, the next lobby I join contains a some clan trying as hard as they possibly can, sitting corners, and talking smack the entire time.

Chopper gunners/ gunships are easy to take down. Just make a class with Ghost (until you get pro) and sleight of hand, switch out your pistol for a strela 3. If you hear one is coming, switch to your anti-air class and when you respawn take it out in 5 seconds. I like to use that class when the other team is getting a lot of spy planes too. One shot and it's gone.

Last time I looked at my stats, I had been killed by the RC car 91 times. More than all of the other killstreaks have killed me combined...

That's why I play ground war a lot. No nuke town. I hate most of the tiny maps in Cod games.

I haven't done ground war yet...is it huuuge?

Chopper gunners/ gunships are easy to take down. Just make a class with Ghost (until you get pro) and sleight of hand, switch out your pistol for a strela 3. If you hear one is coming, switch to your anti-air class and when you respawn take it out in 5 seconds. I like to use that class when the other team is getting a lot of spy planes too. One shot and it's gone.

I'm trying to pro all the perks, so that gets in the way of shooting stuff down. I have everything but flak jacket pro. I need to throw back one single frag grenade, but no one ever uses them. Anyway, once that is done, I probably will be carrying the strela and going ghost full time. The secondaries are mostly useless, so there's no reason not to have a launcher. I just wish I could find the stupid spyplanes. Most of the time, I get killed as I'm searching the sky for one to shoot down.

edit: Then again, when you get killed upon spawning 5 times in a row by a chopper gunner, you really have no way of shooting the damn thing down.

Edited by shrader

I'm trying to pro all the perks, so that gets in the way of shooting stuff down. I have everything but flak jacket pro. I need to throw back one single frag grenade, but no one ever uses them. Anyway, once that is done, I probably will be carrying the strela and going ghost full time. The secondaries are mostly useless, so there's no reason not to have a launcher. I just wish I could find the stupid spyplanes. Most of the time, I get killed as I'm searching the sky for one to shoot down.

edit: Then again, when you get killed upon spawning 5 times in a row by a chopper gunner, you really have no way of shooting the damn thing down.

I retract my previous statement. I've been playing a lot more and have been enjoying it more and more each time. The wager matches are awesome, I love Gun Game, it's extremely addicting.