This Pistol, Run & Shoot offense

Estro

I'm somewhat encouraged with our success in the passing game the past few weeks. My main concern, though, is I don't believe our offense is a good fit for a team playing in Buffalo. Today in a game that was very close throughout we came out and tossed the rock 51 times compared to 19 rush attempts. Some may argue the run wasn't working so we abandoned it, but I don't see it that way. The problem is our run formations are pitiful and it's rather obvious when we are going to run. We rarely run playaction, so when Fitz turns to hand the ball off all defenders are crashing the box to defend the run, so far it's been working. Also running out of the pistol offense WILL NOT work in the NFL, defenses are simply too fast.

You have Fitzpatrick lined up 3 yards behind center, and then Freddy another 3 yards behind him. When Fitz turns to hand the ball off Freddy has little time to build up momentum toward the line of scrimmage on the handoff. If and when the time comes when this franchise is actually competing in November and December, you can't expect this type of offense to be successful in Buffalo winters. On the majority of our pass plays there is absolutely no threat of a run because Fitz is in a shotgun formation with an empty backfield. I think we need to do a better job of keeping the defense guessing run or pass, and when I'm able to call out run or pass with frequent ease from my couch, I sure as hell know the opposing defensive coordinator can do the same thing.

46 yards rushing in a game that was a 1 score contest for 60 minutes is inexcusable. There is a reason we are 0-8, and our defense deserves the majority of blame, but our lack of a running game is just as big of a problem. Chan's running schemes are not working and it kills us late in games.

Edited by Estro

Not working? We're putting up plently of points and passing yards. We're ranked somewhere in the middle in the NFL in rushing yards per game. Gailey saw, just like the rest of us, that we would have to beat these guys passing today.

Another reason why gailey is throwing a lot is because of our line. If you run 2nd and 3rd down, and gain only 1 or 2 yards, we set ourselves up for failure as our line cant protect Fitz for that long. That is why our 3rd down % is higher than it was in a looong time. Dont tell me this offense isnt more exciting now. We have a Patriots/Indy style offense, that we're running pretty effectively. Dick Jauron ran the ball quite a bit, and how did that work out for us? We were put in 3rd and longs, then sack or short dumpoff. Fitzy has to focus on not throwing costly picks. That has been our biggest problem on offense. Not the type of offense we're running.

I think that you may be reading a bit too much into the offense we have right now.

I think Gailey is simply looking for something that we do well; something that works. From there we can build.

I don't think that we will continue this approach 2 years from now. Or even next season (if there is one). But we need to put the best product on the field that is possible. If that is passing 75% of the time, then so be it.

Strategically speaking, I agree with you...we can't keep this up forever.

But for right now, with what we have, its working. Atleast in scoring and moving the chains. They are getting it done.

And I think that you can't dismiss the spirit these guys are showing since returning from the bye week. This is a different team. They are no longer being pushed around by anyone. We have our shortcomings, sure (no pass rush, no run game, can't stop the run very well). But we are improving.

Merriman should help.

Getting a solid draft in April should too.

We're on the right track.

GO BILLS!

were we watching the same game? I saw quite a bit of PA, unfortunately they were usually setting up screens. The problem with the run is that we cant get any run blocking for whatever reason. I dont know if its personnel or coaching, but there never seems to be a hole for either spiller or jackson to run through.

As for the spread package with an empty backfield, that happened very little compared to the other formations I thought, and they happened when you would expect them, when you want to get players down the field.

You have Fitzpatrick lined up 3 yards behind center, and then Freddy another 3 yards behind him. When Fitz turns to hand the ball off Freddy has little time to build up momentum toward the line of scrimmage on the handoff. If and when the time comes when this franchise is actually competing in November and December, you can't expect this type of offense to be successful in Buffalo winters. On the majority of our pass plays there is absolutely no threat of a run because Fitz is in a shotgun formation with an empty backfield. I think we need to do a better job of keeping the defense guessing run or pass, and when I'm able to call out run or pass with frequent ease from my couch, I sure as hell know the opposing defensive coordinator can do the same thing.

I am going to have to disagree with this entire paragraph. The building of momentum thing is erroneous. You'll see running backs that are patient are not even close to full speed when they are near the line, reading blocks, and THEN they explode through once a hole opens.

As far as the empty backfield goes, it works. Simple as that. If you can get away with it, why stop? I agree we could use a little more play action out of our base formations but I see nothing wrong going with an empty backfield.

Not working? We're putting up plently of points and passing yards. We're ranked somewhere in the middle in the NFL in rushing yards per game. Gailey saw, just like the rest of us, that we would have to beat these guys passing today.

Another reason why gailey is throwing a lot is because of our line. If you run 2nd and 3rd down, and gain only 1 or 2 yards, we set ourselves up for failure as our line cant protect Fitz for that long. That is why our 3rd down % is higher than it was in a looong time. Dont tell me this offense isnt more exciting now. We have a Patriots/Indy style offense, that we're running pretty effectively. Dick Jauron ran the ball quite a bit, and how did that work out for us? We were put in 3rd and longs, then sack or short dumpoff. Fitzy has to focus on not throwing costly picks. That has been our biggest problem on offense. Not the type of offense we're running.

Fitz is not the QB you want throwing 50 times / game.