PED suspensions

NoSaint

I get that the union negotiated that the NFL couldn't reveal the results of tests beyond positive and negative but..... Did we ever find out what merrimans PED of choice was? Might it have just been something ala starcaps or do we know better? I don't particularly remember the details, or if his beastly performance (and theatrics and off field issues etc...) made him easy to hate and his injuries provided "evidence" of a drop off.

I get that the union negotiated that the NFL couldn't reveal the results of tests beyond positive and negative but..... Did we ever find out what merrimans PED of choice was? Might it have just been something ala starcaps or do we know better? I don't particularly remember the details, or if his beastly performance (and theatrics and off field issues etc...) made him easy to hate and his injuries provided "evidence" of a drop off.

From Wikipedia:

On October 22' date=' 2006, reports were made public by CNN that Merriman would face a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy.[4'] ESPN's Chris Mortensen cited a source that claimed the suspension was "definitely for steroid use and not a 'supplement-type' suspension." Mortenson's report later came under scrutiny from Merriman's attorney, David Cornwell, who called the report "irresponsible and erroneous." Under NFL league policy, no player's suspension proceedings are to be announced before the suspension takes place. Subsequently Cornwell stated that he believes the substance his client tested positive for was the anabolic steroid nandrolone, and that Merriman claims it must have been in a tainted nutritional supplement he took regularly.[5]

Next question: say someone is a musician or an author. Is marijuana a PED?

Is a musician or an author less of a "role model" than an athlete? And if so, why?

Well, yes. Authors, sadly, aren't worth the discussion. Ask a 14 year old to name current authors and current athletes... It'll answer that part of the question.

As for musicians, they tend to have way more sway on young minds-- but it's an entirely different industry, unions, dealing with issues of federal funding in sports....regulation is just different. Apples, meet oranges.

Strange how not everything is created equal.

Oh wait... That's just life.

Well, yes. Authors, sadly, aren't worth the discussion. Ask a 14 year old to name current authors and current athletes... It'll answer that part of the question.

As for musicians, they tend to have way more sway on young minds-- but it's an entirely different industry, unions, dealing with issues of federal funding in sports....regulation is just different. Apples, meet oranges.

Strange how not everything is created equal.

Oh wait... That's just life.

Just stick with the "role model" aspect of it; why do we not--as an outraged society, not the government--hold these role models to the same standards?

(And any 14 year old will be able to name a few authors, although I don't know if JK Rowling uses drugs. She had to come up with Quidditch somehow, though.)

the simplest answer comes down to a couple of points --

Just on a popularity standpoint, i dont think authors fit the discussion. Perhaps the better wording would have been ask 14 year olds to name their hero, role model (whatever terminology you want to use) and very few would name an author, and many who did would tend to have a more cerebral approach to the idea.

Musicians TEND and I use that as a loose term -- TEND to be focused towards demographics, especially since the relative death of the glamorous rock star, you get the same idolization of crazy behavior. Once you get into the younger demographics, there are really strict "guidelines" that society has. If you dont think that Miley Cyrus catches it as bad if not worse when she screws up, then so be it. I promise that her getting caught with drugs and a gun would be FAR worse then Marshawn. I suppose you could argue rap as a broader, and encompassing youth demographic thats relatively explicit, with common arrests etc... but I would hardly say society accepts that more then athletes either - at best they are on par.

Last up, the famous athlete -- followed by 4 year olds and 40 year olds a like. A parent doesnt have to explain to his 5 year old what heroin is when a musician OD's, they do get questions when on sunday the childs favorite player is missing from the game, or the commentators are discussing his recent arrest.

Its not a blanket rule and im sure you can come up with 10 reasons im wrong, or why my examples arent well chosen.... in general though, you have to ask yourself how much of that person and their behavior can be viewed by kids, how common it is to be viewed by those kids, and how young the kids can be as a rule of thumb.

Next question: say someone is a musician or an author. Is marijuana a PED?

Is a musician or an author less of a "role model" than an athlete? And if so, why?

As an amateur writer (its a hobby, i am not one of those people who sit in starbucks with their laptop) and someone who partakes in some of the greener things in life I can tell you that it does NOT help with writing. At least not for me. I don't consider the inability to remember what i just wanted to write down a second ago as a "performance enhancement."

Comedians on the other hand... :flirt:

As an amateur writer (its a hobby, i am not one of those people who sit in starbucks with their laptop) and someone who partakes in some of the greener things in life I can tell you that it does NOT help with writing. At least not for me. I don't consider the inability to remember what i just wanted to write down a second ago as a "performance enhancement."

Comedians on the other hand... :flirt:

It helped me, back in the day.

And where would Faulkner, for example, be without his bottle (who am I kidding, it was a barrel) of bourbon? I know, it's legal, but it definitely enhanced his performance to the detriment of the rest of his life.