*Throwing Red Flag* Can I Have a Ruling on This??

I don't know the rule on this, but let's just say Merriman shows up in the next five days and let's say he plays one or two games for us and produces well...., can we trade him away this year to a contender for a player or draft picks? Or do we have to keep him for the balance of the season.

The reason I ask is twofold:

1) Everything I read about Merriman points to the fact he will use Buffalo only as a springboard for another "high profile" team next year and the only way to keep him after this year (assuming he doesn't agree to a contract extension before the end of this season) is to put the franchise tag on him ($9.5 million). So that means we will spend $1.7 million to keep a guy here during a losing season and he has no excitement about even being here in the first place (read the ESPN Blog about it).

2) Everyone in Buffalo will get all excited about having a high profile player, buy the jerseys, etc. and it will be a huge letdown when the guy gives the GM the finger and says I'm going to Miami, the Jets, Raiders, etc. (wherever he can get back in the spotlight with celebrities). Basing this on the ESPN Blog that says he has no desire to be in Buffalo.

So, can we trade him this season for draft pick(s) or another player??? Just wondering. Thanks for the help.

All this being said, Merriman's due about $1.5 for the balance of the season. Absolute-worst case, we're forced to cut him because he acts out and Ralph's out the cash. If he's ineffective, well, we pay people more for less, and we would at least have an offsetting chance at a compensatory pick.