Where did the running game go in OT?

I was really puzzled when in overtime when the bills got close to field goal range, they gave up on the run game. Gettng another 5 or 6 yards might have been a difference -- a 47 yarder rather than a 53 yarder. I thought the play calling in that area of the field was not good. In some cases we lines up with an empty backfield which certainly gave KC a good idea where we were going. We needed to show some fortitude and push a little more up field. I take that as a coaching mistake.

I was thinking that exact same thing. On their final drive of OT Fitzy had a 1st down (with 1:32 left in the OT) and threw 3 straight incompletions, one of them the intentional grounding which led to no FG attempt and a HORRIBLE punt by Moorman. If we had at least run the ball twice we may have burnt more than the 20 seconds on those 3 downs and would have been in position to attempt a FG with little or no time left on the clock....hmmmm...JUST LIKE KC DID!!!

We didn't run the ball because our running backs are not playing "NFL-caliber" football. Jackson is #33 in the NFL. Spiller might not even dress for games, as much as you see him touch the ball. Gailey went with what he considered his best chance to win - let your quarterback, who might be the 24th best in the league - handle the ball, as opposed to handing it to a relatively worse player.

We didn't run the ball because our running backs are not playing "NFL-caliber" football. Jackson is #33 in the NFL. Spiller might not even dress for games, as much as you see him touch the ball. Gailey went with what he considered his best chance to win - let your quarterback, who might be the 24th best in the league - handle the ball, as opposed to handing it to a relatively worse player.

But running the ball just once all but guarantees that you will either win or tie the game, and not lose.

Heck, even if Fitz was sacked, it would've been a better outcome than the grounding penalty. :(