Jauron drafted Maybin…

Thoner7

What do you think?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Did Modrak/the Scouting staff support the selection of Maybin?

• Yes - he must of
    • No - it was 100% Dick

God it's like arguing with a little child at this point. Attacking people who are presenting you with proof while you rely on one expert's opinion alone.

And you clearly didn't even understand the Mayock "proof" you are clinging to the first time you read it. You thought he projected as a 4th round pick, when in reality he was ranked the 4th best at his position. Those two statements mean two wildly different things.

If English is your 3rd language or something then I apologize, clearly you're having some troubles. Otherwise, you should read more carefully before desperately defending some irrational thought like a 4 year old.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God it's like arguing with a little child at this point. Attacking people who are presenting you with proof while you rely on one expert's opinion alone.

And you clearly didn't even understand the Mayock "proof" you are clinging to the first time you read it. You thought he projected as a 4th round pick, when in reality he was ranked the 4th best at his position. Those two statements mean two wildly different things.

If English is your 3rd language or something then I apologize, clearly you're having some troubles. Otherwise, you should read more carefully before desperately defending some irrational thought like a 4 year old.

It "must of" been.

"must have", not "must of". And I agree with the OP's sentiment. There's no way Jauron had so much power that he could pick a player who wasn't at or very near the top of the draft board. At the very least, the pick strongly implies that Modrak et al. had Maybin ranked higher than Orakpo on their Big Board. That's basically a fire-able offense right there.

A board constituted by certain guidelines and philosophies? When Marv, Brandon, Modrak and Jauron first got their hands on this, their approach was abundantly clear, they targeted and drafted lots of junior players, as if the thinking process was, get them the youngest possible, so that when they hit their 1st FA period they still have more football ahead than the average player. Of course, patience and a lot of coaching will be needed for this approach to work out.

Enter Buddy Nix and he targets senior players or players with extensive College career in term of starts or games played, mature and developed players that will contribute sooner rather than later.

I don't have a problem with drafting project players but I would avoid them in the 1st round and go after the more polished prospect and always BPA of course, you can't afford to miss with your first rounders.

Edited by Luisma

OK I think I can help out here...I'm pretty sure this is the way it goes cause this is the way Marv had it, and the way he set it up when he came here...

First and foremost no Player is considered unless they have a Grade that matches up favorably with where they are Picking...In this case, and in most cases, there are more than one Player with similar Grades...I think they like to get it down to 2-3 Players when they get on the clock...Then the debate begins...So just for the sake of argument lets say the Bills have Maybin, Orakpo, and Cushing with similar Grades, and now they are looking at one of those 3 (the Bills all but told the world they wanted to take a Pass Rushing DE/OLB at #11 Overall)...So sometimes there is no argument and the card goes right up (The GM, Head Coach and Scouting Head all agree)...But in this case the Bills really had no GM and if everyone remembers at that time it meant even more power to DJ...Add that to the fact that Marv had set it up so that the HC ALWAYS breaks a tie and it does not really matter if Modrak wanted Cush...If Jauron wanted Maybin, then Maybin would be the Pick by design...

What should not be lost in this blame game is that Modrak and his Scouts had a Grade that high on Maybin to start with...Cause I'm pretty sure they did or he would have never been considered...Keep in mind that Mike Mayock felt like Maybin was a borderline 1st Rounder but probably more like a 2nd Rounder...Mayock had him tied for 5th at OLB with Larry English (behind Curry, Orakpo, Cushing, and Matthews)...So it cannot be ignored that The Bills brilliant Scouting Staff had Maybin MUCH higher Rated than some...My feeling is if the Scouts do their job 1st and foremost then the door is not open for Dead Dick to walk though and make the ultimate terrible decision...So, IMHO, it's both Modrak AND Jauron that are to blame... B-)

There is no reason to believe it wasn't a concensus sort of decision like every other in the Levy/Jauron era. It's really hard to believe that Jauron made up his own draft board taking players off the bottom of the pile and re-ranking them unilaterally. Modrak even spoke very highly of Maybin immediately after the draft. By the way, this is hardly the only example of a war room with Tom Modrak taking a flier on a pick. Whitner? McCargo? Parrish? Losman? McGahee? Williams with the caveat that he could easily switch to LT? Freddie Mitchell? Todd Pinkston? Even his reputation establishing pick, Donovan McNabb, has his doubters, including his own boss Buddy Nix!

I'm sure Brandon had his say in the concensus as well.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills