time to play...

Cugalabanza

Wow, very tough OK, based on my mood today:

Amnesia Moon, by Jonathan Lethem Actually recommending this because I loved this book, but it has been years since I read it. I would like to reread it soon. PK Dick fans might find this interesting.

Videodrome Cronenberg's best movie, IMO and maybe James Wood's most interesting performance.

Captain Beyond The best progressive hard rock album ever made. There I said it. This was inspired by Joe's excellent recommendation of Masters Of Reality. Bobby Caldwell gives a virtuoso drum performance on this disk.

Edited by The Dean

Movie: Crash, directed by David Cronenberg, and with a quality cast of Holly Hunter, James Spader, Rosanna Arquette and the off the charts hot Canadian actress Deborah Unger. Engaging film about a cult of people who've become so desensitized by modern society they must seek arousal by re-enacting famous car crashes. With some delicious black comedy pieces to lighten up this otherwise heavy story.

Album: Gordon Lightfoot, Best of, I know compilations can seem like a copout, but this is what got me recently turned onto his stuff, so I'm staying with it. Early Morning Rain, Sundown, For Lovin Me, Alberta Bound, Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald, Beautiful, If You Could Read My Mind, Carefree Highway, etc etc .... ARE GREAT FREAKING SONGS.

Book: Kissinger: A Biography by Walter Isaacson, a chilling account on power plays at the top levels of government, and how they ultimately effect the lives of ordinary people, both home and abroad, in often times tragic ways.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Album: Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion

--takes a listen or two to get into it, but it's quite good.

Movie: Dial M for Murder -- one of my favorite Hitchcock films.

Honorable Mention: Some Like It Hot.

Book: I still think The Hobbit is one of my favorite books.

Book: Lord of the rings, easy. First read it when I was 11 years old, maybe a dozen times since. Total escapism for me. Turn all the lights in the house off but the reading light when I read it.

Movie: I suppose you artsy urban sophisticates will roll your eyes at this- The outlaw Josey Wales. If you have to ask why I can't tell you.

Album: Varies on mood.

Book- The Mother Tongue- Bill Bryson

I am a big Bryson fan and this fascinating book is one of my favorites

Album-Nick Drake-Five Leaves Left

Brilliant album with haunting melodies

Movie- The Future of Food

Important movie that everyone should see

Book: The Monk--Matthew Lewis. Insane gothic novel from about 1791. It's the time of year for horror based lunacy

Album: The Dirtbombs--Dangerous Magical Noise. Huge sounding soul/garage rock. Also I have been listening to the jeff Buckley live album Mystery White Boy a lot recently. Not much of a live album (each song comes from a different gig. Lots of dead air between tracks.) But amazing versions of his songs. The version of I Woke Up In A Strange Place is particularly great.

Movie: Liquid Sky. I'm not even going to bother and try to explain this movie. Total facemelter of crazy

No Pocky For Kitty by Superchunk. 90's indie rock that still feels fresh today. Good songs and the guitars sound awesome.

yup, amazing record. Just in case you don't have it, buy Here's Where the Strings Come In. My favorite Superchunk album. A stone cold bastard of an album.