helmet

nuklz2594

I remember Mark Kelso had a funky helmet. I believe it was called a "Gazoo" helmet. Why did they get rid of it? He used it for his concussions right? Did it not work?

The technology in regular helmets improved over the years, plus the styrofoam attachment apparently never satisfactorily achieved the expected results in decreased concussion rates. Steve Wallace of the 49ers used it until 1997 and then I think it disappeared.

Edited by Punch

I remember Mark Kelso had a funky helmet. I believe it was called a "Gazoo" helmet. Why did they get rid of it? He used it for his concussions right? Did it not work?

knowing Mark personally ... no, it didn't work all that well. Was it better than nothing? yes ... but it was extremely insufficient compared to the newer helmets. Mark still deals with serious migraines.

knowing Mark personally ... no, it didn't work all that well. Was it better than nothing? yes ... but it was extremely insufficient compared to the newer helmets. Mark still deals with serious migraines.

That's a shame. I always like Kelso, and persistent migraines can be totally crippling, made all the worse because they can be virtually incurable.

I wish we had Kelso back on the team. Great player, solid performer. He should try chiropractic for migraines. It's the only thing that works for me, as I've been plaqued by them for over 30 years. Pills don't work, ice helps, but chiropractic alleviates the pain for weeks on end.