Gailey vs Jauron

Virgil

While I hate to give credit to Jauron, I think I realized today what that guy was doing tonight.

Jauron knew the talent he had and the support of the Front Office he was going to receive. With that, he knew he was never going to "out-muscle" with his talent so he had to gameplan to keep his team competative. He went with the, "bend, but don't break" defense and just tried to keep the game close while hoping the offense could make the one play that would make the difference in the end.

Gailey has a plan that I believe would work on any normal team with decent talent. The problem is, we don't have any. I think he is starting to see that now and you can see his frustration level. He even said it in his press conference about people playing out of position and running into each other. His gameplan requires a certain level of talent on the field that he just doesn't have.

Look at the difference between this years team and last years team. Are the Jets really that better? And look what they did to us. I'm not saying that Jauron's way was right. Absolutely not. I'm just saying that he was playing the hand he was given and Gailey is starting to figure that out.

Now hopefully, Nix will give him the support that he needs and get those people out there. But I don't think it will happen and here is why...

Ralph Wilson.

This team as a whole, except for in the beginning when the league was thinner, has never been competitive. Wilson finally got Pollian in here who built a monster team. But then, Ralph being himself, pushed him out. Since then, all we've seen is this team get ripped apart at the seams and deluted over the years. I hate to say it, but with Donahoe at the helm, the team was starting to get an identity, but again, Ralph pushed him out. Ralph wants to have control in a way that makes good GM's with a plan go crazy. He interfere's enough, in my opinion, that doesn't let anyone else do their job. I say this only based off what I've seen for the past 25 years.

At the end of the day, DJ was doing something right. Gailey, I hope you get a chance to show what you gameplan for. Nix, I hope you were given more control then previous GM's. And Ralph, let these people do their job. Screw this cash to cap strategy and stop telling us you are doing us a favor with ticket prices. I would gladly pay double what we are paying now to see a winning team. The fact that today's game was sold out after over a decade of missing the playoffs makes me more angry than anything else.

Maybe Mort has been on to something all along.

Aside from the game at (oddly enough) New England, every game so far this season I've felt that sinking hopelessness ordinarily reserved solely for New England, each year for the past 10 years. There were always points during any given year where I'd feel progress was made--- until we played the Pats and then realized how far away we truly were from being a competitive team. Now, every team makes me feel that we're miles and miles away from being average.

Having said that, I'm confident Gailey and Nix are a capable of moving this franchise in the right direction, and I truly believe a front office "up and comer" like Doug Whaley would never leave stability and a bright future in Pittsburgh unless he saw more than a sinking ship in Buffalo. I believe you're right in your assessment that Jauron's approach was akin to plugging holes in a leaky rowboat with fingers, a la Bugs Bunny. But these men seem to understand there is a problem and are not afraid to say it in public. No more "it's hard to win in the NFL" white flag nonsense.

I also think beating the Jets at the Meadowlands last year was an illusion--- a rookie Sanchez throwing 5 picks (and then getting a 6th later) and the Bills still needed to get to OT to win it. They were likely just as far away last year as this year, using some smoke and mirrors, as you suggest.