This has to be part of the plan, right?

Before the season began, I subscribed to the theory, ya know the one that said "if Dick Jauron can win 7 games with this talent, Chan can surely match that if not win more." Err... guess that theory sucked.

After today the only thing I can hope for is that it's all apart of their "plan." I've defended Nix and Gailey to my friends and have insisted this is apart of their long term plan (aside from the Kelsay contract decision) because that's literally the only way to defend them at this point.

But is this really the plan? Bottoming out is what I am referring to.

How else could you explain them switching the defensive scheme, not making any quarterback moves (other than drafting a guy in the 7th round and maybe that was done to bring SOMEONE different in and quiet the fan base a bit), drafting a running back/kick returner with your high 1st round pick, picking up the most penalized guy on one of the worst team's offensive line, and not making any solid acquisitions on the offensive line other than a 5th round draft pick.

After watching today's game, there's no way they believed they could win a decent amount of games with this talent. And after hearing some of Nix's comments at that Bills Club meeting posted here a few weeks back, he seemed to imply that it might take a 2-14 season to turn things around. He mentioned that the Chargers had a similar poor season before they turned things around.

I'm just starting to worry that this might have to be more than a few year plan because of the hideous drafting (in particular those chosen in the 1st few rounds) of the past few years.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I asked this question in the shoutbox to little response. Was Maybin even in the game? And I'm not asking that sarcastically. I don't remember seeing his number at all. If not, is this benching a punishment because of lack of production? How do you go from playing the most snaps in your career (v. New England) to potentially very little in the next game? I could be wrong though, maybe he played just as many snaps and just didn't make any plans but I don't recall seeing his number.

Gonna echo the thought that's been repeated endlessly around here the past few weeks; the talent on this team looks more inferior by the week. Just thinking about the first round picks and their contributions to this team; Whitner, McKelvin, McCargo, Maybin, and the list goes on. Your franchise is in deep trouble when you miss on so many picks. How did this happen? Even a dude on this board reading Mel Kiper's draft guide could have better luck than our previous "GM's" have had. Might sound ridiculous but I'd like to see Astrobot's (the guy who automates everything based on needs and availability, right?) mock draft picks for the past few years. Maybe that stink too but I'm just curious.

Throwing Brohm into the fire late in the game would have been a mistake. The O-line was getting tossed around and killing Brohm's confidence would have been a stupid move. You know he would have got rocked a few times, right? Best thing to do if you plan on playing Brohm is letting him start a game and give him a week's worth of preparation.

David Nelson had a few nice gains. Hope he becomes a player for this team. Steve Johnson too, although his came mostly in garbage time. No comment on Lee Evans who looks like a guy who has checked out and is absolutely miserable being on this team.

If Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Tom Brady were behind this offensive line today, would it have made a difference? Sure, maybe a few more first downs but honestly, how much of a difference would it have made???

If Maybin was in the game it was for very few plays. He just isn't big or strong enough for the NFL. I can't imagine why Gailey wanted to put Brohm in at the end of the game as he stated in his press conference. That made no sense at all. Fitz played his butt off with zero help from the line or his receivers (except for Nelson) and putting in Brohm would have been insulting to both players. Fitz did NOT cost us the game. Why didn't he say he was going to pull Kyle Williams, Poz or Kelsay and let kids play the final quarter on defense? It would have made more sense after the sad defensive performance we say today.

I smell the change a coming! The bye week is directly after the Jacksonville game, next week, and IF you were going to get another QB ready to start, it will be during the 2 weeks leading up to Baltimore. Brian Brohm should be one of many who get their chance to audition for a place on this team, going forward. Nix and Gailey are invested in the 2010 draft class, so let um rip!!

I smell the change a coming! The bye week is directly after the Jacksonville game, next week, and IF you were going to get another QB ready to start, it will be during the 2 weeks leading up to Baltimore. Brian Brohm should be one of many who get their chance to audition for a place on this team, going forward. Nix and Gailey are invested in the 2010 draft class, so let um rip!!

Problem is, Fitz is one of the very few players who actually looks like he's trying his hardest and gives a damn about the game.

Cash, I'm NOT implying that Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't stay with this team or even plays again this year. He is what he is at this point, a serviceable #2 QB who incidently can win a few games in relief ala Frank Reich. He has a place on this team for being a good soldier!! The Bills will experiment with kids getting playing time and Brohm will definately be one of them. No harm in this for a team in full rebuilding mode. GO BILLS!!

Cash, I'm NOT implying that Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't stay with this team or even plays again this year. He is what he is at this point, a serviceable #2 QB who incidently can win a few games in relief ala Frank Reich. He has a place on this team for being a good soldier!! The Bills will experiment with kids getting playing time and Brohm will definately be one of them. No harm in this for a team in full rebuilding mode. GO BILLS!!

What you said. Agree completely.

I like Fitz a lot, and he played a gritty game yesterday - one of the 4 or 5 Bills that showed up - but he also overthrew Evans a couple of times, and his accuracy in general just wasn't that great. I actually had Fitz pegged as our #3 QB behind Brohm and Brown prior to the season.

After J-ville (who beat the Colts 31-28 yesterday), Gailey will likely be thinking about putting Brohm in to get a look at what we've got in B2. He'll have 2 two weeks to prepare for B-more, and essentially the comfort of 3 straight road games (Ravens, Chief, then Bears in Toronto) so won't have to worry about a potentially angry (rightly so) Ralph Wilson Stadium crowd.

I really didn't realize things were this bad, but hey, we've been thru this before...

'It's always darkest before the dawn...'

GO BILLSSS!!!!

15 and 4, we'll lose no more!!!!! :thumbsup:

Problem is, Fitz is one of the very few players who actually looks like he's trying his hardest and gives a damn about the game.

As it turns out, I should have started him on my fantasy team yesterday - he had more points in my league than Flacco & Matt Ryan combined.