Trading a RB

jwhit34

Conventional wisdom is that if the Bills are going to trade a RB it will be Marshawn Lynch, and that his playing time the last two weeks is to showcase him. If (and it's a big if) he has cleaned up his off the field behavior, the better move may be to trade Fred Jackson. I love the Fred Jackson story, but setting aside the feel-good aspect of him, he's 5 years older than Lynch (29 to 24). There really isn't a discernable difference between them other than Jackson was decent at returning kickoffs last year and they clearly don't have any need for him to do that in 2010. Because he's a good citizen, he may even return more in a trade than Lynch. Gailey likes punishing backs (see Jerome Bettis) so Lynch probably fits the Gailey RB mold pretty well.

If the team is building for the future, a return to '07 and '08 form for Lynch would work. He's signed through 2012 I believe so that works too. As much as we probably would prefer the great story and good guy to stay here, it probably makes more sense to trade Jackson than Lynch.

If the team is building for the future, a return to '07 and '08 form for Lynch would work. He's signed through 2012 I believe so that works too. As much as we probably would prefer the great story and good guy to stay here, it obviously makes more sense to trade Jackson than Lynch.

Trading Lynch instead of Jackson would be complete stupidity. Lynch is in his prime while Jackson is pushing 30 and as we all know , 30 is the magic number for declining play especially at the running back position. It shouldn't even be a debate. Lynch is an all-pro back and will only get better when we finally put together a decent oline.

We keep them all. All you need to do is look at today's game to see why. Jackson did not contribute much but at the drop of the hat could have added value to our teams. It may not be the hard churned blast through tackles like Lynch and it won't be the speed of Spiller but it will be that that maturity, change of pace, hard fighting player we have all come to love.