Time Warner Cable = cheap bastards

DonInBuffalo

I doubt it. The tech who installed the new box setup the HD channels so they were the proper aspect ratio and filled the screen. I can press the # key to change the aspect ratio, but the only changes I can make either gets a picture that overflows the screen, or doesn't fill it properly. The bottom line is the feed itself is grainy. When I called Time Warner to ask them about this, the person answering the phone didn't even know what OTA meant, and tried to tell me that the cable feed isn't supposed to look "exactly" like what the networks provide.

One other obvious difference is now when 4:3 commercials play during an HD broadcast, there aren't any bars on the left/right. Instead, the picture is blown up so portions on the top and bottom are cut off.

If the picture doesn't fill the screen on an HD channel, then the show wasn't recorded in HD and isn't meant to fill the screen. You were probably on a standard def widescreen broadcast on an HD channel if the tech had bars on all 4 sides when setting it up. You need to have the aspect ratio set at "normal", not "zoom" or "stretch" (or your tv's equivalents).

Some people like to stretch the standard def programs, but if you don't change it back when you're on an HD channel, then your HD isn't going to look right. If standard def programs are filling the screen, then you are either zoomed or stretched which will degrade the HD look.

Edited by kegtapr

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the picture doesn't fill the screen on an HD channel, then the show wasn't recorded in HD and isn't meant to fill the screen. You were probably on a standard def widescreen broadcast on an HD channel if the tech had bars on all 4 sides when setting it up. You need to have the aspect ratio set at "normal", not "zoom" or "stretch" (or your tv's equivalents).

Some people like to stretch the standard def programs, but if you don't change it back when you're on an HD channel, then your HD isn't going to look right. If standard def programs are filling the screen, then you are either zoomed or stretched which will degrade the HD look.

This is the weird part - it's set to "stretch" for the HD channels, but the aspect ratio is correct. The picture isn't "stretched", it's just subtlety grainy if you look closely. When I set the aspect ratio to normal while watching an HD channel, I have bars on the top and bottom.

This is the weird part - it's set to "stretch" for the HD channels, but the aspect ratio is correct. The picture isn't "stretched", it's just subtlety grainy if you look closely. When I set the aspect ratio to normal while watching an HD channel, I have bars on the top and bottom.

Are you changing the aspect ratio on your TV or cable box? They both have them. Go to the settings > display > picture size on the cable box and make sure it's set to "Normal". Maybe the setting on the box is conflicting with your TV setting, make sure that both are set to normal.

Edited by kegtapr

Are you changing the aspect ratio on your TV or cable box? They both have them. Go to the settings > display > picture size on the cable box and make sure it's set to "Normal". Maybe the setting on the box is conflicting with your TV setting, make sure that both are set to normal.

My TV is set to "normal". (16:9) The cable box is set to "stretch".

One more little twist that might be relevant - when I turn to non-HD channels, they are stretched to fill the entire screen. I need to change my TV setting to 4:3 to get them to display normally.

Edited by DonInBuffalo

My TV is set to "normal". (16:9) The cable box is set to "stretch".

Cable box also needs to be set to Normal. It's stretching standard def broadcasts, but is also stretching the HD broadcasts which is degrading the quality. Once you change the cable box back to normal, you should have the bars for standard def broadcasts and HD should fill the screen. If that doesn't work, the box is screwing something up and TW should give you a different one.

Cable box also needs to be set to Normal. It's stretching standard def broadcasts, but is also stretching the HD broadcasts which is degrading the quality. Once you change the cable box back to normal, you should have the bars for standard def broadcasts and HD should fill the screen. If that doesn't work, the box is screwing something up and TW should give you a different one.

I'm convinced that something isn't setup properly. I'm not in the mood to tinker with the box settings and possibly screw up an entire weekend of football broadcasts. I'll probably call Time Warner early next week.

I'm convinced that something isn't setup properly. I'm not in the mood to tinker with the box settings and possibly screw up an entire weekend of football broadcasts. I'll probably call Time Warner early next week.

Changing the picture size on the cable box is a simple menu change. If it doesn't look right after changing it, you can put it right back to stretch and you'll be where you started. Nothing to lose.

Changing the picture size on the cable box is a simple menu change. If it doesn't look right after changing it, you can put it right back to stretch and you'll be where you started. Nothing to lose.

I already tried that, it's not that simple. When I change the cable box settings to Normal, I have bars on the top and bottom. I found this setup guide for the box, but figured I'd let a real tech deal with this sort of stuff:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4003114.pdf

I already tried that, it's not that simple. When I change the cable box settings to Normal, I have bars on the top and bottom. I found this setup guide for the box, but figured I'd let a real tech deal with this sort of stuff:

http://www.cisco.com...es2/4003114.pdf

Just because there's bars on the top and bottom doesn't mean there's something wrong with your setup.

Read up on "aspect ratios." A movie like Lord of the Rings will have big bars on the top and bottom of the screen because it's shot at 2.35:1. A romantic comedy will probably have small bars at the top and bottom because it's shot at 1.78:1 (I believe?). Normal television shows will fill the entire screen, because they're shot at 16:9 ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29

Just because there's bars on the top and bottom doesn't mean there's something wrong with your setup.

Read up on "aspect ratios." A movie like Lord of the Rings will have big bars on the top and bottom of the screen because it's shot at 2.35:1. A romantic comedy will probably have small bars at the top and bottom because it's shot at 1.78:1 (I believe?). Normal television shows will fill the entire screen, because they're shot at 16:9 ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29

I'm way ahead of you. I have a database with about 500 movies at a variety of different aspect ratios. Regular TV shows, and commercials, which normally fill the whole screen, had bars on the top and bottom. Edited by DonInBuffalo

I'm kinda disappointed that kegtapr decided to help. I was really hoping Dan from Buffalo would call up time warner and start screaming at them that there was a conspiracy to drop his picture quality.

It was pretty obvious from the start that Dan has no idea how this technology works. Yet, instead of asking for help, he came on the board claiming there's a possible Time Warner Conspiracy to drop PQ! :lol:

It's really not that hard to get everything setup correctly. If you can't get it setup properly, you're in no position to accuse Time Warner of anything.

I'm kinda disappointed that kegtapr decided to help. I was really hoping Dan from Buffalo would call up time warner and start screaming at them that there was a conspiracy to drop his picture quality.

It was pretty obvious from the start that Dan has no idea how this technology works. Yet, instead of asking for help, he came on the board claiming there's a possible Time Warner Conspiracy to drop PQ! :lol:

It's really not that hard to get everything setup correctly. If you can't get it setup properly, you're in no position to accuse Time Warner of anything.

First of all, my name is Don, not Dan. Secondly, it appears pretty clear right now that the box isn't configured properly, and it's not a "trivial" setting, as I've already gone through all of those multiple times. What the hell is your problem?

First of all, my name is Don, not Dan. Secondly, it appears pretty clear right now that the box isn't configured properly, and it's not a "trivial" setting, as I've already gone through all of those multiple times. What the hell is your problem?

Dan, my problem is that you came on here blaming Time Warner for some "conspiracy", totally made up by you without understanding the underlying technology, instead of asking for help. You went about it completely the wrong way.

Dan, my problem is that you came on here blaming Time Warner for some "conspiracy", totally made up by you without understanding the underlying technology, instead of asking for help. You went about it completely the wrong way.

Why do you insist on calling me Dan? Would you like it if I called you ****head?

I know what a "conspiracy theory" is; I deal with that crap pretty much every day as moderator of KFFL NST. I wasn't claiming any sort of conspiracy. Either the tech that setup my box screwed it up (which I now believe to be the case) or Time Warner is intentionally compressing their signal to save money. (which I originally thought)

Here's what I know:

- My Scientific Atlanta 8300 box that was installed last week doesn't display all images the same as my previous 8200 box.

- For HD channels to display in the proper aspect ratio, I need to set my TV to 16:9, and the cable box to "Stretch".

- SD channels fill the whole screen unless I change my TV setting to 4:3. (I could probably accomplish the same thing by changing the cable box setting to "Normal".

- SD commercials shown during HD cable broadcasts don't have bars on the side; instead they fill the entire screen with portions cut off on the top and bottom.

- When the box was first installed, the quality difference from the previous box wasn't immediately obvious. However, upon closer inspection, there is an obvious quality difference compared to my previous 8200 box, and/or an OTA signal. (As previously mentioned, I couldn't tell the difference between OTA and my 8200 box)

- Other people who I've asked about this who have the 8300 box tell me they're settings aren't like mine, instead they're more like my previous 8200 box, with aspect set to "normal" for HD channels, and bars on the side when SD commercials are shown within HD broadcasts.

How would you have suggested I go about this? Start by kissing Time Warner's ass even though this is obviously something they screwed up? I'm missing something here.

Why do you insist on calling me Dan? Would you like it if I called you ****head?

I know what a "conspiracy theory" is; I deal with that crap pretty much every day as moderator of KFFL NST. I wasn't claiming any sort of conspiracy. Either the tech that setup my box screwed it up (which I now believe to be the case) or Time Warner is intentionally compressing their signal to save money. (which I originally thought)

Here's what I know:

- My Scientific Atlanta 8300 box that was installed last week doesn't display all images the same as my previous 8200 box.

- For HD channels to display in the proper aspect ratio, I need to set my TV to 16:9, and the cable box to "Stretch".

- SD channels fill the whole screen unless I change my TV setting to 4:3. (I could probably accomplish the same thing by changing the cable box setting to "Normal".

- SD commercials shown during HD cable broadcasts don't have bars on the side; instead they fill the entire screen with portions cut off on the top and bottom.

- When the box was first installed, the quality difference from the previous box wasn't immediately obvious. However, upon closer inspection, there is an obvious quality difference compared to my previous 8200 box, and/or an OTA signal. (As previously mentioned, I couldn't tell the difference between OTA and my 8200 box)

- Other people who I've asked about this who have the 8300 box tell me they're settings aren't like mine, instead they're more like my previous 8200 box, with aspect set to "normal" for HD channels, and bars on the side when SD commercials are shown within HD broadcasts.

How would you have suggested I go about this? Start by kissing Time Warner's ass even though this is obviously something they screwed up? I'm missing something here.

Dear Dan,

This quote is from your first post:

So apparently when people's boxes break, (or maybe they're just systematically "breaking" them) they are changing the feed people receive to be significantly more compressed, to save themselves bandwidth

See the bolded section.

And no, I would have suggested asking in this thread for help instead of immediately accusing them of doing something to screw their customers over.

Edited by BlueFire

And no, I would have suggested asking in this thread for help instead of immediately accusing them of doing something to screw their customers over.

It is an evil cable company though.... They really could be guilty.

Dan should just go with DirecTV, Dish, or FiOS. Screw TW!

It is an evil cable company though.... They really could be guilty.

Dan should just go with DirecTV, Dish, or FiOS. Screw TW!

Trust me, I hate Time Warner too. But let's be serious, they don't need any made up theories to make them look bad. ;)

Dear Dan,

This quote is from your first post:

See the bolded section.

So, ****head, apparently that excuses you for being a complete dick throughout this entire thread. Sorry if I don't get it. All I know is a few weeks my cable worked fine. One day my cable box just decides to break, all by itself, for no apparent reason, when I'm not even watching TV. The replacement box is obviously faulty. Excuse me for even suggesting they might be screwing people over. Geez. Edited by DonInBuffalo