[please fix subject]Something I'll be watching for

sllib olaffub

I was thinking about the Miami game this week and I had an idea that I think we can watch for - AM 550 was playing in the car, and they were talking to this little guy from ESPN or maybe the NFL, and he was saying, basically, that the good thing about the game was that we didn't get blown out; Bulldog replied that basically the Bills didn't have the talent. They were also talking about why the Bills don't have a passing game from the 10-20 yard range. Again, because we don't have anyone opposite Evans.

Now, I'm thinking, when we draft these recievers - like Hardy, Easley, Johnson, Parrish - what, don't these guys have the same NFL speed as the recievers on, say, Green Bay? And, when we're drafting guys like Wood and Levitre, don't they have the same strength, size, and agility as the guys on, say, the Ravens? All this talent talk - are our guys smaller, slower, weaker than the rest of the NFL? I don't know...

Then it occurred to me: our defense played pretty good. Our special teams played good, too. Our offense sucked, and it did last year, too. O.k., so why does our offense suck so bad? This was my big idea - and I believe in it enough to watch for it from here out: The Dolphins looked at the Bills - and the Phins don't have a great secondary, yet they stymied us - what did they do? They game planned for Trent Edwards. They figured that if they could just pressure him, hit him hard and early, then he'd be too rattled to play. It worked.

I was thinking, Gailey says he's got to simplify the offense. Well, I say our opposition knows how T. Edwards will respond - they know that if they do A then B will happen. Now, with our O-line playing like it is, there's no way we are going to be able to stop a rush if teams commit to blitzing the heck out of us.

My solution: they know what Fitz can do, too, but he's nowhere near as predictable as Edwards. Edwards is locked in a unconscious way, I think - I don't think he can stop himself from freaking out and just getting rid of the ball. But, if we put Brohm in there, the opposition would have to treat our offense as a whole offense again. He certainly would be flinging it down field, whether or not it would be completed - at least he'd be doing it. Fitz would be my second choice back there, but still he'd be better than Edwards. Edwards will kill this team with his predictable reaction to pressure.

Now, I hope he proves me wrong. But I'm guessing that we're going to see more of the same and he'll either be benched or he'll prove me wrong. The big light for me, though, was that the opposition isn't game planning so much for Gailey or Jauron, but for Edwards - a player. And he's our weak link.

Interesting take ...

what has me depressed is the dolphins didn't look like they had any trouble putting pressure on Trent just using mostly three rushers and sometime four.

I see your take on our "talent level" or lack there of, the same thing has always confused me ... for example ... let's take Left Tackle, now agreed it takes a special talent to play the position well. But if you look at the number of left tackles who've played at a high level for a major college, multiplied by the number of years of experiance the average NFL Left Tackle has it has to equal hundreds if not thousands of "eligable" players that may be able to fill the 32 spots (not to mention players converted from other positions).

Why oh why can't we find somebody who can play the position ...