Run defense & conditioning were better on Sunday

Jerry Jabber

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/9/14/1686949/bills-run-defense-didnt-break#storyjump

"Buffalo's rushing defense held Brown to 65 yards and Williams to 62. The combined 127 yards is twelve over what each back gained individually against the Bills in a single game a season ago. Yes, they gave up over 100 yards on the ground, but as a team, the Dolphins were held to 3.7 yards per rush."

That's a good improvement. Last year, the Dolphins and Jets ran all over the defense.

"When the Dolphins got the ball with less than two minutes left, the Bills' run defense forced them to go three and out, giving the offense one more chance. That alone should show you the difference between last year's unit and this year's. At least it was a chance."

I know it's only one game game, but so far so good with the new strength & conditioning program. If this was last year, the defense would have let one of the Dolphins RB's break loose for a long rushing TD on one of those final drives.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/9/14/1686949/bills-run-defense-didnt-break#storyjump

"Buffalo's rushing defense held Brown to 65 yards and Williams to 62. The combined 127 yards is twelve over what each back gained individually against the Bills in a single game a season ago. Yes, they gave up over 100 yards on the ground, but as a team, the Dolphins were held to 3.7 yards per rush."

That's a good improvement. Last year, the Dolphins and Jets ran all over the defense.

"When the Dolphins got the ball with less than two minutes left, the Bills' run defense forced them to go three and out, giving the offense one more chance. That alone should show you the difference between last year's unit and this year's. At least it was a chance."

I know it's only one game game, but so far so good with the new strength & conditioning program. If this was last year, the defense would have let one of the Dolphins RB's break loose for a long rushing TD on one of those final drives.

You're right. Amid all the doom and gloom there are some positives with this team. I posted this in another thread but it directly relates to your popint. The overall defense and the definsive line and linebackers in particular played better than I had seen in awhile. The D-line and linebackers finished 2009 ranked 30th against the run and allowed 4.7 yards per carry. The Dolphins are a pretty good rushing team, finishing 2009 ranked 4th in rushing and averaged 4.4 ypc (and also averaged over 200 yds per game aginst the Bills). In this game, the Fins ran the ball 36 times for 132 yds for a 3.7 average - which, alone is a great improvement. Looking at it a little more closely, the Fins had only 3 runs greater than 8 yards (17, 11, and 10). Take away those three runs and they gained 94 yards on their other 33 carries for a 2.8 yards per carry average. I’d say a damn good job and a hell of an improvement from last year. They didn’t generate a great deal of pressure, but when the game was on the line in the second half they picked it up – as Henne went 8-18 for 54 yards and was sacked twice and hurried a number of other times. In addition, while the linebackers had some coverage issues (as to be expected) they didn't exactly get eaten alive (we'll see how they do against Rodgers and Brady - but the assessment is for this game). Overall, the defense gave up a more than respectable 296 total yards. Considering they were on the field for almost 37 minutes and faced 73 plays – and gave up only 4.1 yds per play (and only 5 out of 73 plays greater than 10 yards – 21, 17, 16, 13, and 11) – I’d say pretty damn impressive. They didn't force any turnovers but it wasn't like they had a difficult time getting off the field either. I'd like to see them get their 3rd down conversion rate under 30% and they gave up 70 and 53 yard drives early in the game - but Miami had the ball eleven times and their other nine drives went for 21, 15, 2, 12, 3, 20, 54, 31, and 9. What I especially liked was that there were no 9 - 10 minute 70 yard drives late in the game that we have grown accustomed to over the last few years. This defense actually looked stronger as the game went on against a very physical running team. Again, impressive.

You're right. Amid all the doom and gloom there are some positives with this team. I posted this in another thread but it directly relates to your popint. The overall defense and the definsive line and linebackers in particular played better than I had seen in awhile. The D-line and linebackers finished 2009 ranked 30th against the run and allowed 4.7 yards per carry. The Dolphins are a pretty good rushing team, finishing 2009 ranked 4th in rushing and averaged 4.4 ypc (and also averaged over 200 yds per game aginst the Bills). In this game, the Fins ran the ball 36 times for 132 yds for a 3.7 average - which, alone is a great improvement. Looking at it a little more closely, the Fins had only 3 runs greater than 8 yards (17, 11, and 10). Take away those three runs and they gained 94 yards on their other 33 carries for a 2.8 yards per carry average. I’d say a damn good job and a hell of an improvement from last year. They didn’t generate a great deal of pressure, but when the game was on the line in the second half they picked it up – as Henne went 8-18 for 54 yards and was sacked twice and hurried a number of other times. In addition, while the linebackers had some coverage issues (as to be expected) they didn't exactly get eaten alive (we'll see how they do against Rodgers and Brady - but the assessment is for this game). Overall, the defense gave up a more than respectable 296 total yards. Considering they were on the field for almost 37 minutes and faced 73 plays – and gave up only 4.1 yds per play (and only 5 out of 73 plays greater than 10 yards – 21, 17, 16, 13, and 11) – I’d say pretty damn impressive. They didn't force any turnovers but it wasn't like they had a difficult time getting off the field either. I'd like to see them get their 3rd down conversion rate under 30% and they gave up 70 and 53 yard drives early in the game - but Miami had the ball eleven times and their other nine drives went for 21, 15, 2, 12, 3, 20, 54, 31, and 9. What I especially liked was that there were no 9 - 10 minute 70 yard drives late in the game that we have grown accustomed to over the last few years. This defense actually looked stronger as the game went on against a very physical running team. Again, impressive.

Post of the day! That was a great analysis of the defense, thank you for that! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Like Mike said, great post! The biggest problems with the defense last year were the run defense, lack of a pass rush and getting wore out in the 4th quarter. So far, 2 of the 3 looked to be resolved. If the defense can keep this up and the offense can start making some head way, IMO the Bills will have a Top 10 defense this year. We have one of the better secondaries in the league, the run defense so far looks much improved along with the front 7. I hope in the offseason, the Bills can draft a pass-rushing OLB that can generate a lot of pressure on the QB. Once the D can start getting consistent pressure on the QB, our defense will be amongst the best in the league (IMO).

Like Mike said, great post! The biggest problems with the defense last year were the run defense, lack of a pass rush and getting wore out in the 4th quarter. So far, 2 of the 3 looked to be resolved. If the defense can keep this up and the offense can start making some head way, IMO the Bills will have a Top 10 defense this year. We have one of the better secondaries in the league, the run defense so far looks much improved along with the front 7. I hope in the offseason, the Bills can draft a pass-rushing OLB that can generate a lot of pressure on the QB. Once the D can start getting consistent pressure on the QB, our defense will be amongst the best in the league (IMO).

+1

I know the Bills were hoping Schobel would come back and give them a decent pass rush, but since he couldn't make up his mind, the Bills had no choice but to move on without him. Nix's experience came from San Diego, well, if he can draft a Merriman type player for the Bills next year, that would be phenomenal.