Spiller - 6 total yards

LGB

Okay, I know it is the only the first game of the year - first regular season game for Spiller, but trying to run around the outside is going to be a little more difficult in the NFL than it was at Clemson. The Bills showed some better success with Jackson and Lynch and should have stuck with them longer.

As I said after last season, before the draft, after the draft, in free agency, while we were watching the waiver wire, when other teams were trading. OUR OFFENSIVE TACKLES SUCK and we are going nowhere in any aspect of the offensive game until we fix the MOST GLARING defect we have. It was the most glaring last year, it was the most glaring the day Nix and Gailey were hired, it is the most glaring now. OJ simpson would have gotten six yards.

Regular season has proven he's not as good as we had hoped so far. He ran backwards more than forwards, didn't break any tackles.. a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully he learns to play soon.

I don't know about that. His first two carries could have been HUGE -- both times he was tackled by the shoe.

After awhile, the Dolphins just realized they could put 9 in the box and stop the running game. :(

The only drive that went well was when the Dolphins weren't stacking the line and rushing a bunch. But they quickly learned to change that...

It's the same problem we've had all decade -- teams rush 8 to stop the run and pressure the QB, and since we can't block, we lose. :(

The Bills seemed intent on trying to use Spiller's speed to get outside the tackles. There were two problems with this theory, first this is the NFL and everyone is fast. Second, Miami had a DB shadowing Spiller the entire game. SDS and I were talking about that at the tailgate after the game. Everywhere that Spiller went he was shadowed by a DB, the Dolphins came into the game with a specific plan to minimize Spiller and it worked. The reason Jackson had more success is because he's less willing to bounce it to the outside and can make yards up the middle.

Our three strongest lineman are Wood, Hangartner and Levitre. Why we insist on running outside almost every time is beyond me.

The Bills seemed intent on trying to use Spiller's speed to get outside the tackles. There were two problems with this theory, first this is the NFL and everyone is fast. Second, Miami had a DB shadowing Spiller the entire game. SDS and I were talking about that at the tailgate after the game. Everywhere that Spiller went he was shadowed by a DB, the Dolphins came into the game with a specific plan to minimize Spiller and it worked. The reason Jackson had more success is because he's less willing to bounce it to the outside and can make yards up the middle.

Our three strongest lineman are Wood, Hangartner and Levitre. Why we insist on running outside almost every time is beyond me.

This is a key point and one of the reasons why I was hoping to see the Bills use private practices in the pre-season to see how Spiller did lining up wide as our #2 WR. Spiller seems to do better in space and if he were wideout it puts him in space immediately. It also raises the question for the DC if whether if he has made the decision the Fish made yesterday to commit a DB to him whether it is sufficient to make the the CB on an island covering Spiller alone and what the implications are for how the team covers Evans on the other side.

Its hard to tell from mere TV but it appeared that Evans was over and under dt'ed a lot.

If Spiller is adequate at #2 WR (which is not really that hard to do for an RB whom we have no difficulty sending in motion into the pass route as we did with Spiller in the first series) the other benefit is that it spreads the opposing D in much the way we saw Jax and Lynch do well.

In order to make the Bills better this season, the key is not to find a great or good QB (if this is your proposal then who specifically do you propose will get the job done). The key is how do you do what Gailey has done before in the past and make the playoffs with an adequate to even poor QB.

I may be wrong (and they still aren't very good numbers) but I believe he had 14 total yards on 11 total touches.

That was 6 total rush yards for the starting RB. oh yea, he also caught the ball 4 times and gained 8 yards.

The Bills were 3-14 on third down and only had 9 first downs.

The only thing worst than those stats is the deer in the headlights Edwards throwing for 5 yards with no timeouts at the end of the game. The Bills need to see if Fitz can do any better (or maybe the decision has already been made to try and get Jake Locker/Ryan Mallet next year).

I was hoping to see them try to get Spiller the ball through the air a little bit more. All I know is that starting him this week on my fantasy team will cost me a win unless Shonn Green can manage to gut 15 points tonight (which is not going to happen against the Ravens D).

#9 was a luxury we couldn't afford. When will this front office wake up and realize we need ot's to make anything happen on offense? 2 years in a row we go into the season with the worst set of OT's in the NFL, crappy QB and wonder why we can't score, that's a recipe for disaster. Not impressed with Buddy Nix at all. He did nothing to improve the worst aspect of our team-QB and OT.

The Bills need to see if Fitz can do any better (or maybe the decision has already been made to try and get Jake Locker/Ryan Mallet next year).

I hope this is not the plan, because if it is and Locker/Mallet have the same impact on the W/L of the team that drafted them then one can look forward to the 2-14 record in 2010 which gives them the first pick in the 2011 draft being a similar 2-14 record going into the 2012 season.

If our strategy is to find glory from a savior at QB and our strategy for finding him is the 2011 draft this pretty much writes off not only the current 2010 season but also the 2011 season.

Does anyone see this working any differently if we depend on the draft and if so then how?

A guy in my fantasy draft picked CJ Spiller in like the 4th round, under the pretense that he "guaranteed" Spiller would get 20-25 rushes a game and an additional 10 touches.

Not bloody likely.

In my non-Bills fans league, he was an afterthought down in about the 10th round.

We NEED a qb!!! Instead of TE getting sacked and given no time to throw we need a first round pick to come in get sacked and have no time to throw.

I agree that the Bills OL could use some experience but Aaron Rodgers was behind a terrible line (sacked 50 times last year) and still threw for 30 TDs (4434 yards). The difference? Rodgers does not stand there like a deer in the headlights (a la JP Losman) and actually gets the ball out and down the field.

Another thing that does not help - Lee Evans signed his $19 million dollar contract and has disappeared. I don't have a problem with the Bills paying him big bucks, but they are paying him to get open make plays and he isn't. He didn't make plays with TO and I doubt that he will with Steve Johnson.

Okay, I know it is the only the first game of the year - first regular season game for Spiller, but trying to run around the outside is going to be a little more difficult in the NFL than it was at Clemson. The Bills showed some better success with Jackson and Lynch and should have stuck with them longer.

It seemed like CJ equaled negative play. I was hoping he would be Chris Johnson 2.0 but it wasn't to be.