I heard T Brown MRI's were negative

BuffaloBob

It seems to early too have MRI results.

They would have had to do it in Indy to know the results already.  It's more likely they did x-rays, which don't tell you a whole lot about most knee injuries.

10825[/snapback]

I agree, except I know of no reason why they would have waited to come back to Buffalo to have MRI's done. I'm pretty sure they've got that equipment available in Indy. There's nothing special about where you have them done, only who is interpreting the results.

I would expect that the Bills would have taken him straight to a facility to have them done.

I agree, except I know of no reason why they would have waited to come back to Buffalo to have MRI's done.  I'm pretty sure they've got that equipment available in Indy.  There's nothing special about where you have them done, only who is interpreting the results.

I would expect that the Bills would have taken him straight to a facility to have them done.

10839[/snapback]

There's no way he got an MRI in Indy and definately not at the stadium. However, there are several MRI places in WNY, one only a few blocks from the Stadium. He likely was going to have an MRI this morning.

But that is purely my speculation.

I agree, except I know of no reason why they would have waited to come back to Buffalo to have MRI's done.  There's nothing special about where you have them done, only who is interpreting the results.

10839[/snapback]

Actually, it depends a lot on the nature of the injury as to when the time is possible or right to do an MRI and none of us can tell this from TV. I'm no doctor (though I play one on TV) so this should be fact-checked, however due to a range of medical maladies in my family I am soewhat familiar with MRIs.

There are several advanatages to the MRI over the X-RAY. the main one is that MRIs allow soft-tissue imaging as opposed to the simple bone imaging that an X-RAY gives you. However, if one is talking soft tissue, then swelling of these tissues can become a big issue in reading them correctly. As in partiticular with Knee injuries, the amount of an healing of microfractures which may not even be visible to the MRI are a big issue, an immediate MRI of Brown may not give one a totally accurate or accurate enough diagnosis of the state of the injury and amount of time needed to recover.

In addition, the immediae treatment of the injury can make longer term diagnosis more difficult to do and provide falsely interpreted readings. Was immeidate swelling reduced by application of ice or coldness and was this good or bad. it varies as the immediate swelling does provide some benefit in terms of immobilizing the injury and reducing pain though it can push back good diagnosis. How was this pain/diagmosis balance struck in this case? it varies.

My guess is that Indy doctors or traveling Bills doctors worked first to immobilize the injury (first do no harm) and also reduced any pain Brown felt (meet the patients demands). They may well have done an X-RAY first to determine whether there was any gross break that needed more immediate treatment or surgery, cross-referenced this heavily with what Brown was reporting about where it hurt and how much (usually these days by asking him to state the pain level on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worse pain he ever felt).

The Troy Vincent case was interesting as he was apparently reporting numbness rather than sharp pain and an X-RAY at the stadium revealed no jaw break so based on elimination of the break issue and his reports of the type of pain the likely diagnosis is of a pinched nerve (particularly since feeling relatively quickly was restored).

In Brown's case who knows because we do not know the details of the injury. My GUESS however, is that they will talk to him and probe manually and then likely do an X-RAY because its quick but mostly to determine whether it is safe for him to travel and go through the changes in air pressure and swelling of a plane flight and treat him to reduce swelling on the manually immobilized injury and get him ho,e to the MRI machines and technicians they know.

Injured players never have MRIs done until the following day or two. Scheduling them is the main reason. The only place you can get an MRI after hours is a hospital and from what I know his injury was not life threatening.

He will come back to Buffalo, schedule an MRI for probably Mon, maybe Sunday depending on who does their MRIs. TB himself said it is definitely worse than just a bad sprain.