Why no game thread this week?

bowery4

should we have a game thread?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. should we have a game thread?

I missed the game thread this week esply because the feeds to the game were useless (I live in Bangkok and can not get the 97rock radio link either), I had yahoo gameday open and the chat and shout boxes but it was too much to see them sll. I don't know the reason why there was no thread does it take too much space on the server?

I like reading through it after games too, sometimes it is entertaining or even a bit insightful.

The admins told us not to use anything but the chat room. And I quote (and hope I'm not violating TBD's copyright policy): "Last game the discussion was too disjointed with 1/3 of the people using a thread, 1/3 in the shout box and 1/3 in the chat room. Let's try and get everyone to use the proper tool for game time discussion - the chat room."

The admins told us not to use anything but the chat room. And I quote (and hope I'm not violating TBD's copyright policy): "Last game the discussion was too disjointed with 1/3 of the people using a thread, 1/3 in the shout box and 1/3 in the chat room. Let's try and get everyone to use the proper tool for game time discussion - the chat room."

But you voted to keep the thread, right? So what are you saying?

:lol:

Edited by Faustus

DanInUticaTampa. Click on the word "view" by the votes and it shows who they are.

I didn't know you could do that. Nice if he could give some reasoning why he prefers it gone. Like many others here I am a long way from Buffalo and not sitting in a room full of Bills fans and really liked Reading the remarks of other fans. Chat room ain't got it :thumbdown:

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

But you voted to keep the thread, right? So what are you saying?

This thread is titled "Why no game thread this week?" My response was that the admins say threads and the shoutbox are verbotten and that the only acceptable method of communicating with each other is through the chat room.

I voted for a game-day thread because that's what I'm used to and I don't really care what the admins think. That's what I'm saying.

For further elaboration about my views on being herded into the chat room because the admins say we should, follow this link

"You have to properly follow proper protocol."

I loved that guy.

But to be fair, Scott never said we couldn't start a thread. That's why I asked him if there was to be no thread. Of course, he gave me a not-so-straightforward answer (which you quoted in your post) to a question I didn't ask. I think we could have started a thread, and it would not have been taken down. But since he seemed to want the discussion to happen in the chat, I didn't start a game thread, and neither did anyone else. (I did notice some were talking about the game in the Shout Box, but that's just as useless to me as the Chat Room.)

I think the gameday thread must put some undo pressure on the board itself. If not, why try to change what we clearly prefer to do on gamdeay? If it is too much for the board then I can understand the request. Hey I'm not much on authority, but it's his house and we are guests. Besides a broken down board does none of us any good. I might also suggest keeping the thread and shutting down all non-essential bells and whistles if that keeps the board running smoothly (if that is possible).

But I think today illustrated that the chat room isn't the first choice for many here, and isn't a choice at all for some of us. It may be the best tool for what SDS thinks we want to do, or for what he thinks we should be doing during the game. But it clearly isn't the right tool for what many of us want to do during the game.

I loved that guy.

But to be fair, Scott never said we couldn't start a thread. That's why I asked him if there was to be no thread. Of course, he gave me a not-so-straightforward answer (which you quoted in your post) to a question I didn't ask. I think we could have started a thread, and it would not have been taken down. But since he seemed to want the discussion to happen in the chat, I didn't start a game thread, and neither did anyone else. (I did notice some were talking about the game in the Shout Box, but that's just as useless to me as the Chat Room.)

I think the gameday thread must put some undo pressure on the board itself. If not, why try to change what we clearly prefer to do on gamdeay? If it is too much for the board then I can understand the request. Hey I'm not much on authority, but it's his house and we are guests. Besides a broken down board does none of us any good. I might also suggest keeping the thread and shutting down all non-essential bells and whistles if that keeps the board running smoothly (if that is possible).

But I think today illustrated that the chat room isn't the first choice for many here, and isn't a choice at all for some of us. It may be the best tool for what SDS thinks we want to do, or for what he thinks we should be doing during the game. But it clearly isn't the right tool for what many of us want to do during the game.

Good point -- we are guests here at TBD. However, a good host has the responsibility to ensure that the guests are comfortable and well attended to. So, my feeling is that if we guests want to be able to discuss a game in a thread, then the host should do what he can to accommodate his guests.

FWIW, I've been lurking here for about 2 years to get insight on the Bills when I'm out of the country. If time zones work out well, best case scenario is that I get to "watch the game" on the NFL Game Center animated box score. If not, my way to follow the game is go back later and read game day threads.

Life is not all about me, but if a vote counts for anything, I'd like to see game day threads continue.

P.S. Another type of thread I very much enjoyed was BillInNYC's "Thoughts about the game". This would be a decent substitute for a gameday thread to me, but only when a poster takes it upon himself to provide quality content.