Let me get this straight; they're going to bench Spiller?

eschej13

How does CJ Spiller not enter this season as the starting running back? He was the 9th pick in the draft, he's a match-up nightmare for defenses, he's better than expected between the tackles. He should be starting games and Jackson/Lynch should be coming in later to pound it home. Don't get me wrong, the load should be divided, but don't we want the ball in this guy's hands as much as possible?

I'm very interested to see what Gailey does when he has the three back healthy. He's going to have some crazy formations!

I agree. The formation that the Bills used against the Colts where three backs were in the backfield together and TE threw a 70 yd bomb to Evans was awesome! No matter where Spiller is on the depth chart, he will be involved in the Bills offense this year. Gailey has all sorts of plays that involve Spiller. Should be more intersting than last year. Stay realistic however. It will be amazing if the Bils go 8-8.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The formation that the Bills used against the Colts where three backs were in the backfield together and TE threw a 70 yd bomb to Evans was awesome! No matter where Spiller is on the depth chart, he will be involved in the Bills offense this year. Gailey has all sorts of plays that involve Spiller. Should be more intersting than last year. Stay realistic however. It will be amazing if the Bils go 8-8.

What has Whitner not made another genius prediction yet?

How does CJ Spiller not enter this season as the starting running back? He was the 9th pick in the draft, he's a match-up nightmare for defenses, he's better than expected between the tackles. He should be starting games and Jackson/Lynch should be coming in later to pound it home. Don't get me wrong, the load should be divided, but don't we want the ball in this guy's hands as much as possible?

I'm very interested to see what Gailey does when he has the three back healthy. He's going to have some crazy formations!

Early in the game, you want a big, physical back to pound the defense and wear it down. Lynch is a good candidate to fill that role. Once the defense is worn down, banged up, and a little tired, you want a speedy guy to come in and exploit whatever weaknesses have been created. Spiller should be excellent at that.

Some running backs thought of themselves as players who ran harder as the game went on. And in fact, their yards-per-carry would typically be higher in the third and fourth quarter than it was in the first quarter. But that was more a function of the defense wearing down, than it was the running backs performing at a higher level later in games. The Bills may as well give those valuable, late game opportunities to Spiller.

Chris Johnson is listed at 191 on nfl.com. Spiller will get the touches, but I dont think it's necessary that he start the first play of each game as the "starting" running back. Let the two bigger backs wear down the defense.

There's going ton ne a three man rotation and plenty of times we'll see two or even three backs on the field. One of the oldest rules in the game is that if you can run...run first. I suspect Gailey will buy into that given that he had two good backs and the team used its #9 pick on a third exceptional back. There must be a plan in that kind of thinking...and I suspect it will be LOTS of runs. Who starts is pretty irrelevant, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first sets of downs will be given to the most durable of the three.

I am sure Chan would love to run but I don't think he is the type to just pound it for the sake of pounding it. The Bengals were crowding the LOS last night and we struggled to try an run the first series. Gailey didn't keep trying to run the next series, he went to the air. And gee, what a difference it is to have an OC who reads the defense and figures out what will work on the very next series. Jauron would have stuck to the same stuff right to half time. I don't know how good Gailey is but compared to Jauron, he's Knute-freaking-Rockne.

I like Mankins and I like Wood. BUT.

What has Wood done to be annointed the next center? Hangartner is playing fine. Wood has to get his game back. Why change two starting positions at this time. What inside info do you have that says Wood would be an improvement at this tme?

If we could make such a trade lets shore up the tackle position instead. This just in .... We have very little experience, skill, and depth at OT.

Why would be trade a high quality RB to New England anyway?

How about a pass rusher instead!