Shawn Nelson and Derek Schouman

Hutch4

How serious is the loss of Shawn Nelson and Derek Schouman to the team right now and who might they get to fill the gap ?

I've always kind of liked Stupar and now we will be able to see if he can handle a higher work load.

Edited by FreakPop

How serious is the loss of Shawn Nelson and Derek Schouman to the team right now and who might they get to fill the gap ?

My dream for the Bills has actually been to dispense with a TE oriented O in favor of an east coast version of the Greatest Show on Earth passing oriented attack ala St. L.

Most folks reject this approach figuring that what Buffalo is all about particularly in the bad weather of December has got to be about a grind it out ground game and this means means a blocking TE style.

Fine, except that the classic St. L style actually did feature a blocking TE who was in no way a receiving target At its peaks the TEs would have zero or maybe 1 reception a year and the show came from a steady diet of three receiver sets utilizing a 1 back set to give them a 3rd WR.

The TE was simply a max protect addition since they were passing a lot with a Faulk type as the running/receiving RB.

With loss of Schuman for an unknown period of time and the loss of Nelaon for the first four games and any future problems this may be the time to formulate a Bills specific version of a wintereized St. Louis style game.

My sense is that this new version would employ our 3 very good RB with two of them lining up as a wideout from time to time. We would give up on trying to find the next Tony Gonzalez at TE as we repetitively have failed at doing and instead look for folks who are more like good H-backs (hard to find but easier than finding a Gonzalez type)

My dream for the Bills has actually been to dispense with a TE oriented O in favor of an east coast version of the Greatest Show on Earth passing oriented attack ala St. L.

Most folks reject this approach figuring that what Buffalo is all about particularly in the bad weather of December has got to be about a grind it out ground game and this means means a blocking TE style.

Fine, except that the classic St. L style actually did feature a blocking TE who was in no way a receiving target At its peaks the TEs would have zero or maybe 1 reception a year and the show came from a steady diet of three receiver sets utilizing a 1 back set to give them a 3rd WR.

The TE was simply a max protect addition since they were passing a lot with a Faulk type as the running/receiving RB.

With loss of Schuman for an unknown period of time and the loss of Nelaon for the first four games and any future problems this may be the time to formulate a Bills specific version of a wintereized St. Louis style game.

My sense is that this new version would employ our 3 very good RB with two of them lining up as a wideout from time to time. We would give up on trying to find the next Tony Gonzalez at TE as we repetitively have failed at doing and instead look for folks who are more like good H-backs (hard to find but easier than finding a Gonzalez type)

Good knowledgable post.

Except that Nelaon is Son of Voltar and Lord of the Megalar.

But I do find the 6 man offensive line, spread formation with a versatile running back to be a fascinating possibility.

Good knowledgable post.

Except that Nelaon is Son of Voltar and Lord of the Megalar.

But I do find the 6 man offensive line, spread formation with a versatile running back to be a fascinating possibility.

I think folks logically default to a grind it out style as being smashmouth is fun to imagine, but actually when one thinks back to the success in the K-gun era, this team had no problem and in fact experienced lots of success with an O which was looking for downfield opportunities stretching the field to through to Lofton, Reed and even Beebe.

Sure a lot of the long TDs were actually with RAC after short passes to folks like Reed or even Thurman, but the deep ball threat is part of what makes the short pass open as DCs have their DBs play loose in case of the fly pattern.

This type of O does need a good QB, but pedestrian talents like Bolger have made this approach work. The other thing is that as challenging as this might be to a Bills QB, it is simply gonna be holy heck for an opposing QB who comes into our weather and is forced to play a shoot-out.

I say take this opportunity of TE deficit and switch to a far more entertaining and I think in the long to medium run more effective O.

Too bad Martz wasn't available this off season.

Oh, wait...

Luckily the Bills are kind of deep at TE too, just not all high talent guys... but all guys I feel can come in and play.

Nelson is the obvious downfield sort of TE. Stupar and Schouman are more typical combo TEs, and Matthews is basically a pure blocking TE. I think we are in good shape for a few weeks even with the injuries. The worst part is simply missing reps with the team and getting familiar with the offense.

It just highlights the failure of the front office to adequately address the TE position for nearly a decade now. Nelson was at best unporven with talent. Schouman was a 7th round pick not big enough to be in the NFL guy. Derek Fine was a slow white guy picked way higher than he should have been if at all.

I will say it sounds as if the FO had a deal for Tony Gonzalez in place. That would have been a nice 1-3 year run allowing Nelson to develop.

Just too many holes from years of poor drafintg to overcome.

Seriously at this point wouldn't most people take Robert Royal.

And please don't say what if Kevin Everett didn't get hurt. There was a reason he was covering kick-offs and not in the starting line-up.

And oh by the way Stupar is freakin awful. Just like Keith Ellison is awful.

Time to just say no to guys who aren't big enough to play in this league.