At what point do you cut your losses with Maybin?

Good Rumblings Post on Maybin

I read this a few minutes ago and felt it may add a little to the debate...

This is really just a collection of what I've posted in the past. I don't think Maybin is getting judged fairly, so I've put it together in one spot for comparison.

Here are my main points:

- Rookie pass rushers that make impacts are exceptions

- The NFL has become more complex systematically, yet fans and analysts want the players to adjust faster than in the past. The QB and DE positions are most glaring.

- Sacks per year is not a good comparison. Sacks per pass rushing opportunity is a better measure. This measures how many times a pass rusher had the opportunity to sack the QB (opposed to a running play), and how many times did that rusher sack the QB.....

Am I saying that Maybin will be great? Not at all. Just that some patience with Buffalo's 22 year old ROLB might be warranted.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Rumblings Post on Maybin

I read this a few minutes ago and felt it may add a little to the debate...

Very interesting. I have thought for come time that the hating on Maybin has been excessive. A lot of frustrated fans of this team are ready to see somebody's head roll.

I'm not saying Maybin is going to pan out, or that the Bills have gotten anything so far on they investment in him, but I don't see any compelling reason to throw him overboard when he's so young and raw.

Very interesting. I have thought for come time that the hating on Maybin has been excessive. A lot of frustrated fans of this team are ready to see somebody's head roll.

I'm not saying Maybin is going to pan out, or that the Bills have gotten anything so far on they investment in him, but I don't see any compelling reason to throw him overboard when he's so young and raw.

The compelling reason would be if the team had better young talent at his position. Rather than throw away a legit prospect for fear of letting go of someone that's struggling but young and raw, cutting your losses and developing the better player makes more football sense. (Edit: like what happened to Brian Brohm in Green Bay when he was outplayed by Flynn despite Brohm being drafted earlier and having nice press clippings.)

This post is not implying that the Bills have a wealth of talent at 3-4 OLB. They don't.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

I am not angry with the selection, we just need to see something soon!

I'm still angry about the selection -- possibly the worst of the decade given the needs, the pick and the available alternatives. However, that is in the past and it's not Maybin's fault that the Bills don't know how to draft players.

As to the question, Dean is correct that the key point is if the coaching staff sees potential for improvement (and then, actual improvement as the season progresses). Personally I can't imagine giving him any less time than one year (from now) to prove himself, and probably two.