[please fix subject]Jake Locker

beggar13

Do you believe this to be the case because we are going to go another season winning six or seven games? God, I hope not! I would rather finish 0-16 and lock in that first pick than be picking in the 10th or 11th spot again! I love the Bills and hate to see them lose, but it's just a necessity if we are truly going to begin rebuilding from the ground up.

Buddy and Chan have had a plan all along, and it has been to take our lumps this year and get a QB they really like as opposed to settling on one from this past year's draft just because just because QBs were available that they didn't really believe in.

REALLY??????

That means that:

1) You are sooo confident that the #1 pick will be better than the #5 or the #9 or the #11. History backs you up sometimes, and not others. I certainly am not sure enough that I would put that as my primary goal for the season

2) You don't think that our young guys would be better off winning some games in their collective learning curves and development, or would happily sacrifice this for an extra chip at the roulette wheel.

3) You think that the #1 pick Locker would provide enough 2011-2012-2013 joy to compensate for the misery of an 0-16 run and the lack of fun during the year as a Bills fan.

I personally would much rather see us win all the games we can, see our young core learn winning ways under our new coaches, and draft the best players available. If we really have to get to #1 you can trade up to do so, and I think that requires less sacrifice than a 0-16 season. But I'm not confident that I want to be at #1 to fix this franchise.

This could very well be a 2004 like year where you aren't sure whether you really would want to be at #1 (Eli Manning), #4 (Rivers), or #11 (Roethlisberger).

Or 2005 where you would really rather have Alex Smith (#1) than Aaron Rodgers (#24)

Or 2006 where you would really rather have Vince Young (#3) over Jay Cutler (#11)

Or 2007 where you would really rather have Jamarcus Russel (#1) over Kevin Kolb (#36)

Or 2008 where you might be fine with either Ryan (#3) or Flacco (#18)

I challenge you to go back through the last 20 years and tell me how many times the FIRST QB SELECTED in the TOP 10 was clearly the best QB in that draft. Maybe you have some different judgments than I do, but I count since 1990: Steve McNair, Peyton Manning, and Carson Palmer. I'm open to other examples, but I really think that hoping for 0-16 to draft #1 is about as idiotic a strategy as I can imagine.

Yes, Dallas in 1988, Indy in 1997, and Miami in 2007 vaulted from 1-15 season back to respectability, but there are many many more cases of teams vaulting from 5-11 or 7-9 to the top, and many more cases of teams vaulting from 1-15 (or 0-16) to ongoing no-so-good-ness.

Go Bills! Let's find a way to get to 1-0 against the Fish, and then we can worry about week 2.

Do you believe this to be the case because we are going to go another season winning six or seven games? God, I hope not! I would rather finish 0-16 and lock in that first pick than be picking in the 10th or 11th spot again! I love the Bills and hate to see them lose, but it's just a necessity if we are truly going to begin rebuilding from the ground up.

Buddy and Chan have had a plan all along, and it has been to take our lumps this year and get a QB they really like as opposed to settling on one from this past year's draft just because just because QBs were available that they didn't really believe in.

I think we'll be drafting ~ #5. Locker won't be the pick there, but like I said this a GREAT qb class. When all is said and done around 2025 or so, they'll be talking about how this group edges out the class of '83!

I think we'll be drafting ~ #5. Locker won't be the pick there, but like I said this a GREAT qb class. When all is said and done around 2025 or so, they'll be talking about how this group edges out the class of '83!

Not to be too contrarian, but I believe that if you asked someone in 2009, the QB class of the 2010 draft was projected to be great as well: Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, Jevon Snead, Tony Pike. Obviously, it's way too early to even think about saying this class is great or not. Judging solely on the draft, however, this QB class turned out not to be the homerun draft for quarterbacks that a lot of people projected in the past. Whether it was due to lack of need at the position or seeming deficiencies in the players themselves, many of the projected big picks dropped low (including the unfortunate case of Jevon Snead, who dropped out completely).

My opinion? The 2011 draft class isn't that impressive, at least as of now. Jake Locker is way too speculative of a pick. Ryan Mallett and (to a lesser extent) Andrew Luck are big prospects, although I think Luck does need more time to develop. But the rest? According to WalterFootball.com, in the top 10 for the upcoming QB class are Christian Ponder, Terrelle Pryor, and Ricky Stanzi, just to name a few. Not discounting that these guys could have big years in 2010, but from what we've seen already from them, I really see no reason for looking at the potential of this class on par with the '83 class.

i want the falcons model...go bad for a year get a matt ryan type and your set for years to come

A year? Until last season, the Falcons had NEVER had back to back winning records. Not exactly a "winning" franchise.

Sure. I'm just speculating. It would be way too easy to wait around until 2020 and then judge the group! :worthy:

I get your point though I think you're over estimating the 2009 class to make your point.

Ha, time might make fools of us all. I was only saying that the recent draft class, when viewed from last year, was really exciting. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that a lot of people last year were very high on the QBs in question. A year later? Well not so much, judging from the draft.

I'll tell you what though, if by chance we are very poor this year and land a high enough draft pick, I'd be very happy with having Ryan Mallett under center :ph34r:

you know, with a new CBA coming and a rookie wage system being something that has to happen, the 1st pick might actually have trade value again. Since we have holes everywhere, it would be smart business to pass on Locker and try trade the pick a truck load of picks. Maybe then we can address a series of needs, such as OT's, pass rushers, better OLB and still grab another good QB a few picks back.

I know Locker is the guy, with Mallet (??) from Arkansas and that guy from Stanford but if I had to take 1 QB or 3/4 other positions I'll take the latter and hope Levi develops.

just a thought

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.