Cut Wish List

Actually in terms of reality and an OK person being more in touch with reality when a lifelong fantasy does not come true, rather than having one's pro football dream not work out really should not be simply rough but a good thing on the road to becoming a better person.

Its really hard for me to feel too bad about a young man in his early 20s who has his health generally (even when one suffers a football injury that makes it impossible to succeed at the NFL level, these athletes generally do have their health- they can maybe only run a 40 in 4.8 rather than 4.8 because of a gamey knee lets say and this combines with them with some other factor like having OK but not great hands and their NFL dreams end.

No matter how disappointing this may be to them (he slept with his uncles tattered football card when unc was briefly a pro before he got killed in a weird brothel accident and he had his hopes and dreams set on having his own football card to give to his nephew or some worse story) I cannot feel sorry for this man.

He is a young man who cannot cut it as an NFL player, but at that level he has the ability to do so many other things that are not only good for him but are good for others as well. I simply know too many people who are disabled and cannot walk, my own lovely wife who due to a childhood disability was forced to get a lung transplant and through her diligence has beat the odds and simply survived more than 5 years after transplant who for years has worked parttime as a volunteer coordinator for a not-for-profit that supports good parenting, etc.

I feel a little bad for almost all athletes whose NFL dreams run acropper, but it is hard for me to feel too bad for this young person who even if not NFL worthy has a wonderful life ahead of them if they choose.

The person I think really has it rough is the person who is actually rooting for someone's dreams to fall apart.

It really strikes me as incredibly sad (bordering on disgusting) to think that a person is actually getting pleasure from someone else's failure. Yeah, I think some of the platitudes I have heard roll out of Tim Tebow's mouth strike me as odd and sometimes offensive if he appears to be making a judgment on another person without trying to walk in their shoes, but I would think it would be pretty pathetic for me as a person to wish him poorly or draw pleasure from him being cut.

The whole idea presented in this thread of wishing someone to be cut really saddens me about the human condition. I hope I just misinterpreted and there really is no vitriol behind the sentiment expressed.

This yahoo's got to be kidding, right!?

Ridiculous--the thread asked who we wanted to see cut, not because of who we just didn't like, but who we thought was not good for the football team.

A joke, right?

Sounds like a walking cliche, throwing out every worn out phrase out there to show how compassionate he is. BS if it is real, and he has really run "acropper"! It also "saddens me about the human condition".

And make no mistake--there is definitely "vitriol behind the sentiment expressed" in my post.

Yuk!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic