The Statistic We Must Improve On

Okay, so there's not just one area where we need to improve, but here's one that stands out from 2009:

Bills Third Down Conversions: 51/198 (25%)

Opponents Third Down Conversions: 97/240 (40%)

If we had stopped opponents on 3rd down more, we'd have given them fewer opportunities to score and we'd have kept our defense from wearing down to the point of collapse in the 4th quarter.

If we had converted on 3rd more, we'd have more scoring opportunities and, again, we'd have kept our weary defense off the field.

If Gailey makes even modest improvements on those numbers, I'll be pleased.

Thoughts?

Cue the "The statistic we must improve on is WINS" comment in 3...2...1...

Okay, so there's not just one area where we need to improve, but here's one that stands out from 2009:

Bills Third Down Conversions: 51/198 (25%)

Opponents Third Down Conversions: 97/240 (40%)

If we had stopped opponents on 3rd down more, we'd have given them fewer opportunities to score and we'd have kept our defense from wearing down to the point of collapse in the 4th quarter.

If we had converted on 3rd more, we'd have more scoring opportunities and, again, we'd have kept our weary defense off the field.

If Gailey makes even modest improvements on those numbers, I'll be pleased.

Thoughts?

Cue the "The statistic we must improve on is WINS" comment in 3...2...1...

Interesting stat. My guess is that had last year's team had a more imaginative approach, that stat would have been higher. Based on Gailey's history, look for a whole lot more 3rd down conversions this season.

It'd be tough to imagine a worse offense. In some ways it's additon by subtraction. I like our offense at most areas except tackle - and that, in turn, might really hamper our QB's. If we get decent play from our tackles, I think we have an offense that can wear down an opposing defense.

Thats an interesting statistic. I would also be interested to see what our average "to go" was vs. our opponents average.

I think you are absolutely right, if we brought those two percentages closer together, I bet we change our point differential by 1 or two points over the course of the season. Might not seem like much, but how many games did we lose by a touchdown or less or over the last few years?