Crazy Question about direcTv

Ok quick dumb question about DirecTv or Dish Network. Lets say I bought my setup in the Buffalo area with Buffalo local channels. If I moved to lets say Florida, but kept my gear and WNY mailing address would my setup work down there and still get the Buffalo channels?

Ok quick dumb question about DirecTv or Dish Network. Lets say I bought my setup in the Buffalo area with Buffalo local channels. If I moved to lets say Florida, but kept my gear and WNY mailing address would my setup work down there and still get the Buffalo channels?

I'm sure fez will step in here but I believe they do what they call "spot beams" now and only broadcast the Buffalo locals in the western new york area, so if you moved and didn't change your locals, I don't think you'd get any locals. This is for DTV at least. No idea about dish. You can google "direct tv spot beam" or something like that.

I know you used to be able to do this. That's how many NFL fans got around the blackout area -having a faux/billing address outside of the 75 mile boundry. But as EZC-B stated, they've gotten pretty good fine tuning where the recivers are located.

It's conceivable, though, that at some point we'll be able to order whatever the hell we WANT, including specific city feeds. For a small fee, of course..

I'm sure fez will step in here but I believe they do what they call "spot beams" now and only broadcast the Buffalo locals in the western new york area, so if you moved and didn't change your locals, I don't think you'd get any locals. This is for DTV at least. No idea about dish. You can google "direct tv spot beam" or something like that.

That was kinda what I was thinking was the answer, but couldnt think of the way to word it in my google search. I see that it might work if I moved back to WV, but FLA appears to be out of the question.

Hoping your idea comes true before too long Chandler because we have the capability it just appears someone hasn't clued the execs into how to make even more money.

That was kinda what I was thinking was the answer, but couldnt think of the way to word it in my google search. I see that it might work if I moved back to WV, but FLA appears to be out of the question.

Hoping your idea comes true before too long Chandler because we have the capability it just appears someone hasn't clued the execs into how to make even more money.

Do you have any friends in WNY with high speed internet? You can always go the Slingbox or Slingbox HD route. I have a buddy in Taiwan who I'm feeding with local channels via Slingbox.

This is the long a DTV thread has been open without a post from Fez. I hope he is OK.

LOL I know, kinda concerned myself

Link, yeah i could easily do that, I was just wondering if this was possible

I know you used to be able to do this. That's how many NFL fans got around the blackout area -having a faux/billing address outside of the 75 mile boundry. But as EZC-B stated, they've gotten pretty good fine tuning where the recivers are located.

It's conceivable, though, that at some point we'll be able to order whatever the hell we WANT, including specific city feeds. For a small fee, of course..

You hit the nail on the head -- you won't be able to do it since they use spot beams nowadays (and have for years). This lets them take a single sat and put lots of different locals on it, giving them more bandwidth to cover more cities.

Keep in mind that you'll probably never be able to get any locals that you want, and it has nothing to do with DirecTV/Dish -- it's all the local networks wanting to force you to watch their stations to increase their revenue. It's the reason that DirecTV now has to blackout NFL games on Sunday Ticket if the game is being broadcast locally -- the local broadcasters want you watching THEIR channel, and not the national feed. Follow the money.

This is the long a DTV thread has been open without a post from Fez. I hope he is OK.

Sorry, between work and school I don't have as much free time as I used to :rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head -- you won't be able to do it since they use spot beams nowadays (and have for years). This lets them take a single sat and put lots of different locals on it, giving them more bandwidth to cover more cities.

Keep in mind that you'll probably never be able to get any locals that you want, and it has nothing to do with DirecTV/Dish -- it's all the local networks wanting to force you to watch their stations to increase their revenue. It's the reason that DirecTV now has to blackout NFL games on Sunday Ticket if the game is being broadcast locally -- the local broadcasters want you watching THEIR channel, and not the national feed. Follow the money.

Sorry, between work and school I don't have as much free time as I used to :rolleyes:

That's news. Whatcha takin' ?

That's news. Whatcha takin' ?

Working on my Masters degree (Computer Information Systems with a focus on security) from Boston University (online, obviously). They take 14 week semesters and cram them down to 7 weeks. Pretty intense. The class I'm taking now (systems design) has insane homework - I've been writing 12 page papers the first two weeks, along with reading 150 pages a week... And this week's assignment is going to be closer to 20-30 pages I think.

Good material, just too much of it. :rolleyes:

Working on my Masters degree (Computer Information Systems with a focus on security) from Boston University (online, obviously). They take 14 week semesters and cram them down to 7 weeks. Pretty intense. The class I'm taking now (systems design) has insane homework - I've been writing 12 page papers the first two weeks, along with reading 150 pages a week... And this week's assignment is going to be closer to 20-30 pages I think.

Good material, just too much of it. :rolleyes:

Just finished my MBA from Colorado Tech, we crammed a whole semester of work into 6 week classes...lots of reading and paperwork