1. Seek and ye shall find

2. Mind your P's and Q's.

3. No man is an island

4. Opposites attract

5. To the victor belong the spoils

6. Many a true word is spoken in jest

2. 18 minues

TODAY:

Four people wish to cross a long bridge in the dark of night, but the bridge will only support a maximum of two people at a time. Furthermore, it's so dark that any bridge-crossers need to carry a flashlight to guide them, and the four people have only one flashlight to use. Walking alone, the four people would take 1, 2, 5, and 10 minutes, respectively, to cross the bridge one way. If two people travel together with the flashlight, they must go as the speed of the slower person. Remember that the flashlight must be brought back across the bridge by someone each time.

What is the shortest amount of time it will take to get all four across?

The 1 minute person needs to cross each time. 1 and 10 start out (10 minutes). Then 1 goes back (1 minute). 1 and 5 then cross (5 minutes). 1 again goes back (1 minute). All that's left now is for 1 and 2 to cross together (2 minutes).

10+1+5+1+2=19 minutes

Your thread title has me thinking there might be more to it, but I'm not seeing it.

Your thread title has me thinking there might be more to it, but I'm not seeing it.

There is more to it. My answer is:

2 min (1+2 cross)

+

1 min (1 goes back)

+

10 min (5+10 cross)

+

2 min (2 goes back)

+

2 min (1+2 cross)

--------

17 min

2 min (1+2 cross)

+

1 min (1 goes back)

+

10 min (5+10 cross)

+

2 min (2 goes back)

+

2 min (1+2 cross)

--------

17 min

Yeah, that would do it. Of course, these guys could just learn how to throw the flashlight and save some more time :blink:

YESTERDAY:

1. Seek and ye shall find

2. Mind your P's and Q's.

3. No man is an island

4. Opposites attract

5. To the victor belong the spoils

6. Many a true word is spoken in jest

2. 18 minues

TODAY:

Four people wish to cross a long bridge in the dark of night, but the bridge will only support a maximum of two people at a time. Furthermore, it's so dark that any bridge-crossers need to carry a flashlight to guide them, and the four people have only one flashlight to use. Walking alone, the four people would take 1, 2, 5, and 10 minutes, respectively, to cross the bridge one way. If two people travel together with the flashlight, they must go as the speed of the slower person. Remember that the flashlight must be brought back across the bridge by someone each time.

What is the shortest amount of time it will take to get all four across?

edit link the better idea

2 min (1+2 cross)

+

1 min (1 goes back)

+

10 min (5+10 cross)

+

2 min (2 goes back)

+

2 min (1+2 cross)

--------