Brian Brohm Wll Never Have a Better Chance To Start

"Judging players on prior performances is nonsensical"

really? this statement is too ludicriuos to even be labeled "nonsensical"

If the player you deem to be disqualified based on prior performances beats out the other players are you not going select him as the starting qb? Prematurely giving up on a player is nonsensical, especially when you have a squad which is very short on talent.

There are a number of qbs who have initially struggled and gone from team to team. Garcia, Warner, Theisman, Moon, Young etc were not instant starters.

If Trent Edwards beats out the other qbs for the starting job and you want to disqualify him from being the starter because of his prior performances then you are being foolish. If Trent Edwards is so bad then why are you so concerned about him competing for the starting job?

The anti-Edwards sentiment on this board is ridiculous. Not only is it nonsensical, it is illogical and stupid.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Brohm can't beat out Edwards then he doesn't deserve to play - but he needs playing time to develop the potential he has. Edwards is a waste of time - that's why there is anti-Edwards sentiment here. No one wants to waste time on his maddening check downs another season and not give Brohm every opportunity to develop

If Brohm can't beat out Edwards then he doesn't deserve to play - but he needs playing time to develop the potential he has. Edwards is a waste of time - that's why there is anti-Edwards sentiment here. No one wants to waste time on his maddening check downs another season and not give Brohm every opportunity to develop

Fortunately, the coaches make decisions based on how the players perform and not on what some wacky posters think. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, the coaches make decisions based on how the players perform and not on what some wacky posters think. :thumbsup:

ok, lets hear it then, please explain what trent has shown in the last 3 yrs that makes you think he has a chance to be a viable starter in the NFL?

Coming in as an ex-college head coach, I think Gailey is loving the fact that he has three qbs in an all out showcase of their skills and battling it out, im glad personally.........

they all know they have a chance to start, which should make for an interesting preseason at least.

ok, lets hear it then, please explain what trent has shown in the last 3 yrs that makes you think he has a chance to be a viable starter in the NFL?

My position has been the same for a long time. Let the candidate qbs compete and let the best performing qb win the starting job. How else are you going to do it?

Last year, no qb had a chance to succeed. The OL was gutted before the season started and the coaching was laughably inadequate. The offense was designed to be primitive. It was a recipe for disaster for any qb.

There was a period in Edwards's rookie year where he did play very well. Has he had sustained success? No. He has taken a pummeling and it has taken a toll on him.

What I will say to you is what I have repeatedly stated to others: Forget about the prior years. There is a new GM and a new HC. They are allowing the three qbs to compete against one another. How is that wrong? They are competing against one another just as the other position players are competing against one another. Are you going to disqualify Hardy from competing for a starting position because he hasn't played well so far? Are you going to give up on Maybin already because he wasn't ready last year? Is Lynch not going to get any playing time because of his prior well documented troubles? If you want to disqualify TE based on prior performances then for the sake of consistency you have to disqualify BB and Fitz for less than prior stellar performances.

There have been many people who have stated that TE hasn't shown anything in three years. That is not true. He did show for a short period of time that he could play at a very sound level. BB hasn't demonstrated much during that same length of time. And certainly, Fitz, over a longer period of time hasn't played at a very high level.

I'm not wedded to any particular qb. Odds are that none of the qbs currently on the roster will be our long term franchise qb. But excluding a qb who might outperform the others doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of posters who are adamantly against TE because they believe he doesn't have what it takes. If that is the case then why are they so against him competing with the other qbs for the starting job?

My question to you is if TE outperforms the other qbs then why wouldn't you want him to be designated as the starter?

My position has been the same for a long time. Let the candidate qbs compete and let the best performing qb win the starting job. How else are you going to do it?

Last year, no qb had a chance to succeed. The OL was gutted before the season started and the coaching was laughably inadequate. The offense was designed to be primitive. It was a recipe for disaster for any qb.

There was a period in Edwards's rookie year where he did play very well. Has he had sustained success? No. He has taken a pummeling and it has taken a toll on him.

What I will say to you is what I have repeatedly stated to others: Forget about the prior years. There is a new GM and a new HC. They are allowing the three qbs to compete against one another. How is that wrong? They are competing against one another just as the other position players are competing against one another. Are you going to disqualify Hardy from competing for a starting position because he hasn't played well so far? Are you going to give up on Maybin already because he wasn't ready last year? Is Lynch not going to get any playing time because of his prior well documented troubles? If you want to disqualify TE based on prior performances then for the sake of consistency you have to disqualify BB and Fitz for less than prior stellar performances.

There have been many people who have stated that TE hasn't shown anything in three years. That is not true. He did show for a short period of time that he could play at a very sound level. BB hasn't demonstrated much during that same length of time. And certainly, Fitz, over a longer period of time hasn't played at a very high level.

I'm not wedded to any particular qb. Odds are that none of the qbs currently on the roster will be our long term franchise qb. But excluding a qb who might outperform the others doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of posters who are adamantly against TE because they believe he doesn't have what it takes. If that is the case then why are they so against him competing with the other qbs for the starting job?

My question to you is if TE outperforms the other qbs then why wouldn't you want him to be designated as the starter?

I'm not going to argue against competition, that is the way it should be. However, TE didnt come into buffalo as the automatic backup like BB did in GB, there was NO WAY he was going to unseat rodgers, so to compare BB to TE from a PT perspective isnt really fair.

Now to your question, if trent outperforms the others would I want him to be named the starter, well, NO, I dont like his game at all, but if he wins the job, which is what outperforming equates to, then there's no choice.

However, I very seriously doubt that will happen, brohm skills are superior to trent, and in a legit open competition, with a smart coach like gailey watching, BB wins this thing hands down.

I think in many ways Trent was a reflection of Juaron, the type of game he liked, safe, no risk. trent doesnt lead his wr's, he hits them right on the #'s, why? safe, no risk of int, trent doesnt go downfield when he has a window, he prefers to check it down, why? safe, less risk.

IMHO, trent, much like Jauron, is what has been wrong with this team as of late, football is a chess match, its a no guts no glory chess match, and Dick/trent never wanted to bring their queen out to play. There's no place for that in todays game.

Would you want Brohm to start even if he's been outplayed in OTAs by TE and Fitz? And continues to be outplayed in preseason?

BillsPhan and others seem to think Brohm should start because we don't know what we (fans) have in him, when we know Fitz and TE are inadequate.

We might not know what Brohm can do, but I think Gailey and the coaching staff have a pretty good idea by now.

And some seem to think Brohm can't be worse than TE or Fitz. But... YES he can! Anyone remember Gary Marangi?

It's hard to know which QB will do best under Gailey's tutelage and in his scheme. But Brohm has certainly done nothing to convince me - an average fan - that he's that guy. And I'll be surprised if he convinces Gailey. I think you'll be disappointed when you learn the preseason 'pecking order' and opening day starter.

I really don't care who starts... I just want the Bills to win and at this point I'll trust the coaches to figure out who gives us the best chance.

I don't necessarily agree with the bolded text. Recall that Green Bay had several years during which to evaluate Aaron Rogers during practices and in the preseason. Yet at the end of that time, they felt enough uncertainty about his future to use a second round pick on Brohm. If the Packers' coaching staff was unable to conclusively evaluate Rogers even though they had several years, what makes you think Gailey can properly evaluate Brohm over the course of a few minicamps?

It's also worth noting that Gailey is installing a new offensive scheme, so none of the quarterbacks he'll be evaluating will have fully absorbed the playbook. If you evaluate a guy before he's learned the scheme, there's a good chance of underestimating what that guy can do.

I'm not going to argue against competition, that is the way it should be. However, TE didnt come into buffalo as the automatic backup like BB did in GB, there was NO WAY he was going to unseat rodgers, so to compare BB to TE from a PT perspective isnt really fair.

Brohm was beaten out by a low drafted player, Matt Flynn, for the backup or third qb job. Flynn was moved ahead of him on the roster based on their performances on the practice field. If Brohm was such a can't miss prospect he would have held on to his position on the roster.

Now to your question, if trent outperforms the others would I want him to be named the starter, well, NO, I dont like his game at all, but if he wins the job, which is what outperforming equates to, then there's no choice.

That simply summaries my position.

However, I very seriously doubt that will happen, brohm skills are superior to trent, and in a legit open competition, with a smart coach like gailey watching, BB wins this thing hands down.

That will be proven on the field by the competitors. That is how it should be done.

I think in many ways Trent was a reflection of Juaron, the type of game he liked, safe, no risk. trent doesnt lead his wr's, he hits them right on the #'s, why? safe, no risk of int, trent doesnt go downfield when he has a window, he prefers to check it down, why? safe, less risk.

IMHO, trent, much like Jauron, is what has been wrong with this team as of late, football is a chess match, its a no guts no glory chess match, and Dick/trent never wanted to bring their queen out to play. There's no place for that in todays game.

Especially on the offensive side of the ball Jauron was a disaster. No qb could thrive under his primitive system. Supposedly, Gailey runs a much more sophisticated offensive system which is suited to the players' skills. If Edwards reverts to his passive and limp style he will not be on the roster, let alone be the starter.

If you want to argue that Edwards shouldn't be allowed to compete for the starting job based on his prior performances are you then going to argue that Demetrius Bell shouldn't be allowed to compete for the starting LT position because he was clearly overmatched last year? For heaven's sake he couldn't even get the snap count right. Are you already going to give up on him? Evidently, the HC is not. As it stands he is favored to win the starting LT position. Certainly, it isn't based on his prior performances.

As I have repeatedly stated let this qb competition play out. There is no other reasonable way of doing it.

Brohm was beaten out by a low drafted player, Matt Flynn, for the backup or third qb job. Flynn was moved ahead of him on the roster based on their performances on the practice field. If Brohm was such a can't miss prospect he would have held on to his position on the roster.

That simply summaries my position.

That will be proven on the field by the competitors. That is how it should be done.

Especially on the offensive side of the ball Jauron was a disaster. No qb could thrive under his primitive system. Supposedly, Gailey runs a much more sophisticated offensive system which is suited to the players' skills. If Edwards reverts to his passive and limp style he will not be on the roster, let alone be the starter.

If you want to argue that Edwards shouldn't be allowed to compete for the starting job based on his prior performances are you then going to argue that Demetrius Bell shouldn't be allowed to compete for the starting LT position because he was clearly overmatched last year? For heaven's sake he couldn't even get the snap count right. Are you already going to give up on him? Evidently, the HC is not. As it stands he is favored to win the starting LT position. Certainly, it isn't based on his prior performances.

As I have repeatedly stated let this qb competition play out. There is no other reasonable way of doing it.

When Phila cuts Vick, trade Trent for a 3rd or 4th round pick

NFL history is littered with former 1st 2nd and 3rd round QB's backing up starters, still trying to hang on as 3rd stringers, or out of the NFL completely after only a few years. I have no idea what the heck happened to Brian Brohm from the moment he was selected by the Pack in the second round of the draft a few years ago, till today as one of 3 mediocre struggling young QB's vying for the Bills' starting job a few weeks before training camp.

But this kid will never have a better situation to take over a starting job in the NFL then this summer:

1) Everyone on this board seems to think his new head coach is a modern day offensive genius who specializes in helping average QB's play above average football. I am a little more skeptical on that front, but for Brohm, Gaily has to be at least one of the best head coach choices to come into his picture, that's for sure. My choice was John Gruden, who went to the playoffs with inconsistent but talented Rich Gannon, and then won a SB with less consistent and less mobile Brad Johnson. But Chan it is, and the guy has had success with average QB's.

2) Trent Edwards was a 3rd round pick, and Fitzpatrick was a 7th round pick.

3) Neither Edwards nor Fitzy did anything last season to deserve to keep Brohm out of the picture this preseason.

4) Brohm has a lot to prove, coming off his record setting junior season in Louisville, and then falling off enough his senior year to cause him to drop into the second round of the draft before Green Bay selected him, a team that already had Aaron Rogers as their established Favre replacement anyway.

5) Any head coach coming into this bleak of a QB situation, would lean towards a new starter, in my humble opinion. Gaily's ego might like the idea of Brohm being "his guy" in this new era of the Buffalo Bills, as opposed to the two guys that played 15 of the 16 games last year.

In any event, Brohm is who I hope wins out. Sure Edwards and Fitzy are both still only in their mid 20's, and maybe both could be viable starters in the NFL. But I would like to spend this non-playoff season, the 11th consecutive one, watching the Bills play as differently as possible from the past three non-playoff seasons. A new quarterback would certainly be different even if he struggles at times. Obviously he'll be on a short choking leash, with Edwards and Fitz having as much to prove and as much motivation as Brohm has heading into September 12th and beyond.

This list means nothing. Only performance matters and Edwards has got him beat so far.

I heard why Brohm fell in the draft was due to a bad senior bowl week and game.

Having said that, I'm really hoping he wins it outright, and he plays well...that would be intense.

Good QB play in Buffalo! Hot Damn!

GO BILLS!

I haven't argued that trent shouldnt be allowed to compete. What I have said is that trent won't win the competition.

Simply put, I see no way that Brohm loses this battle, I see nothing in trent that screams "starting QB".

again, IMHO, there is no way trent wins this job. He's a rob johnson, great in practice, awful in games.

I haven't argued that trent shouldnt be allowed to compete. What I have said is that trent won't win the competition.

Simply put, I see no way that Brohm loses this battle, I see nothing in trent that screams "starting QB".

again, IMHO, there is no way trent wins this job. He's a rob johnson, great in practice, awful in games.

When evaluating the Buffalo Bills and its players certitude is often diminished into being less certain.

I have absolutely no criticism of anyone favoring a particular qb. When players compete they get better and as a result the team gets better.

Your confidence in BB is admirable. In the not too distant future we will all know which qb the HC favors, at least initially. However, there is still a long way to go to before a starting qb is firmly established. You can have a situation where one qb is designated as the starting qb and then falters during the season. I wouldn't be surprised if the HC is holding a short leash and not afraid to make a change if he feels it is necessary.

If Trent Edwards wins the starting job (my opinion) be prepared for DarthIce to freak out and howl like he has been violated.

I don't necessarily agree with the bolded text. Recall that Green Bay had several years during which to evaluate Aaron Rogers during practices and in the preseason. Yet at the end of that time, they felt enough uncertainty about his future to use a second round pick on Brohm. If the Packers' coaching staff was unable to conclusively evaluate Rogers even though they had several years, what makes you think Gailey can properly evaluate Brohm over the course of a few minicamps?

It's also worth noting that Gailey is installing a new offensive scheme, so none of the quarterbacks he'll be evaluating will have fully absorbed the playbook. If you evaluate a guy before he's learned the scheme, there's a good chance of underestimating what that guy can do.

These are good points. And I think that's why Chan says the pecking order he's putting in place isn't written in stone.

The optimist can find reasons to like Brohm (great junior year). The pessimist can find reasons not to like him (couldn't even make the GB game day squad). I have no idea if he's the next Jim Kelly or Gary Marangi. Chan can't be certain yet, either, but has a better idea that us fans.

You mean brohm's 1 reg season game where he didnt even have a QB coach helping him with the gameplan? Compare that to trents 3 yrs of subpar play.

Yeah I was gonna let someone else point out the stupidity of that reply to him.

But Brohm has certainly done nothing to convince me - an average fan - that he's that guy. And I'll be surprised if he convinces Gailey. I think you'll be disappointed when you learn the preseason 'pecking order' and opening day starter.

Maybe the least impressive post in the past month....what, in your brilliant opinion, should Brohm have done better from your view from a cube in Seattle?