POTD - July 8

Sorry for the absence...I was cooking like a piece of bacon at the Delaware beaches. I don't know how hot it was this weekend in upstate NY, but it was brutal in the DE/PA/MD area. I feel like Stewie in the tanning episode of Family Guy. Anyway:

LAST WEEK:

1. Game 1: things you catch ::: Game 2: words that precede "pants"

2. 19 socks

3. The Man in the Iron Mask, Arsenic and Old Lace, Ulee's Gold, Silver Streak, Platinum Blonde, Tin Cup

TODAY:

Fill in the blanks with consonants to complete the 13-letter word below:

_ I _ _ OO _ _ A _ I _ _

Use all the words below to form a chain in which each word links to next to create a common compound (or hyphenated) word or phrase. The chain starts with FIRE and links to CRACKER to make FIRECRACKER. Then CRACKER links to another word and so on. The chain comes full circle, ending with FIRE.

FIRE

CRACKER

ABOUT

BOOK

RABBIT

FAIR

DOUBLE

EXCHANGE

WALK

BOARD

FACE

CARD

BODY

PUNCH

JACK

CROSS

STUDENT

TODAY:

_ I _ _ OO _ _ A _ I _ _

Use all the words below to form a chain in which each word links to next to create a common compound (or hyphenated) word or phrase. The chain starts with FIRE and links to CRACKER to make FIRECRACKER. Then CRACKER links to another word and so on. The chain comes full circle, ending with FIRE.

FIRE

CRACKER

ABOUT

BOOK

RABBIT

FAIR

DOUBLE

EXCHANGE

WALK

BOARD

FACE

CARD

BODY

PUNCH

JACK

CROSS

STUDENT

Got #2:

FIRE-CRACKER-JACK-RABBIT-PUNCH-CARD-BOARD-WALK-ABOUT-FACE-BOOK-FAIR-EXCHANGE-STUDENT-BODY-DOUBLE-CROSS-FIRE

Still working on #1

Sorry for the absence...I was cooking like a piece of bacon at the Delaware beaches. I don't know how hot it was this weekend in upstate NY, but it was brutal in the DE/PA/MD area. I feel like Stewie in the tanning episode of Family Guy. Anyway:

LAST WEEK:

1. Game 1: things you catch ::: Game 2: words that precede "pants"

2. 19 socks

3. The Man in the Iron Mask, Arsenic and Old Lace, Ulee's Gold, Silver Streak, Platinum Blonde, Tin Cup

TODAY:

_ I _ _ OO _ _ A _ I _ _

EXCHANGE

CROSS

FIRE-CRACKER, BOOK-FAIR, EXCHANGE-STUDENT, BOARD-WALK, PUNCH-CARD, ABOUT-FACE, BODY-DOUBLE, JACK-RABBIT, CROSS-FIRE...

^I think that's right.

How the &*(% did you figure that out? Have you ever thought about going on wheel of fortune. . .

I got a little lucky, because it happened to be one of my first guesses in the trial/error process. What keyed me in was the two O's in a row...in longer words, I figured the sound is more likely to be fragmented than the traditional "oo" as in toon, and there aren't too many long words with "oo".