Ravens SHOULD seek trade with Buffalo

As for what we would have to trade, if we trade McGee, we'll have to spend yet another high-round pick on a CB, and if we trade Florence, it's not going to be enough to get Gaither.

Why? We have greater needs at other positions.

You mean like LT and QB? And yet we filled in at DE instead in the third and RB in the first.

If we trade McGee, CB would suddenly become a greater need.

You mean like LT and QB? And yet we filled in at DE instead in the third and RB in the first.

If we trade McGee, CB would suddenly become a greater need.

It would be a bigger need than it is now, but not as important as the positions you mentioned. McGee was a 4th round pick and he was good enough. Levy/Jauron made the secondary the most important part of the Bills. It isn't, thus the chronic losing.

I was just reading a post on the Patriots and how they've managed players over the last few years, and people on this board were enjoying their woes - and I thought, the Patriots aren't the team at the top of the mountain anymore, so to speak.

I'm thinking the Ravens have built up a team that will really be hard to stop, with their good running game, and now their WR's and TE's - ouch - and then their front seven on Defense... the only thing missing from a team that could be considerably better than their Super Bowl winning team of 2000? is a shutdown corner. Well, if they had a better cornerback duo they would be without apparent weakness.

So, my proposal is this: we've got a good cornerback stable. We could use Gaither. Couldn't we offer them one of our cornerbacks and a lower round pick for Gaither? I'd send either McGee or Florence if I were getting Gaither in return. Anyway, as I see it, Baltimore is so close to being a championship team they might be willing to deal Gaither for some security in their secondary.

WIth as many injuries as we have had in the defensive backfield that past few seasons, I wouldn't get rid of any of our depth, especially for another malcontent lineman who wants a big contract (we just dumped one of those this time last year). We had to go as far as having a linebacker move to DB becuase of injuries, and more injuries will probably happen (hopefully not as many), so we need to keep the depth that we have, we will need it.

I was just reading a post on the Patriots and how they've managed players over the last few years, and people on this board were enjoying their woes - and I thought, the Patriots aren't the team at the top of the mountain anymore, so to speak.

I'm thinking the Ravens have built up a team that will really be hard to stop, with their good running game, and now their WR's and TE's - ouch - and then their front seven on Defense... the only thing missing from a team that could be considerably better than their Super Bowl winning team of 2000? is a shutdown corner. Well, if they had a better cornerback duo they would be without apparent weakness.

So, my proposal is this: we've got a good cornerback stable. We could use Gaither. Couldn't we offer them one of our cornerbacks and a lower round pick for Gaither? I'd send either McGee or Florence if I were getting Gaither in return. Anyway, as I see it, Baltimore is so close to being a championship team they might be willing to deal Gaither for some security in their secondary.

These threads are so boring.

Everyone who starts these threads seem to think there is only 1 offensive Tackle on the field when the teams take the field.

I guess they think the Defense is on a permanent power play.

The Ravens NEED GAITHER TO PLAY RT.

They don't have 3 good offensive Tackles they have 2. 1 Proven at LT in the NFL; 1 Proven in Biographical movies with Jesse James' ex-wife.

Why would they trade a LT that performs at top 10 levels in the NFL for a scrubby CB?

What is easier to find a stop gap CB or STARTING RT that was one of the better LT in the league?

What happens if Oher struggles at LT? What if Oher is meant to cover the non-Blind Side and Gaither is a better fit at LT?

The Ravens won't trade for lower value. A Starting LT is worth a first round pick. Just look how many tackles were taken in the first round of the 2010 draft. None of them have the NFL resume of Gaither. Gaither will play RT for the Ravens on a 1 year contract and will play RT at an all pro level because 2010 is an AUDITION YEAR for him to grab a huge contract in 2011. You know 1 team will give him a huge contract when he is an unrestricted FA. Not to mention the Ravens are "close" and NEED A STARTING RT.

Plus the Gaither team wants (and some can argue deserves) a huge contract. Anyone following the Bills for the last 50 years could gather that the Bills don't traditional pay many players in the Top-10 at their position. They try to run the team on the cheap. So unless the Bills offered a 10 year 120+ million contract for a starting LT for the next decade. (which BTW wouldn't be a bad deal if you back loaded the money but offered a 12 million+ signing bonus.) I don't see the Bills offering that.

A trade between these two teams for Gaither is extremely unlikely.

We have a problem at tackle. We could have addressed it in free agency...we didn't. We could have addressed it in the draft...we didn't. We can address with a trade, and it looks like we aren't doing that either. We are in deep doo-doo with the existing tackles.

If we give up anything of value for Gaither we have to sign him to a deal. Teams are loath to write big contracts/extensions this year because of the uncertainty surrounding the CBA next year, even if they are sure they like the player. So we cant really offer anything of real, tangible value and therefore Gaither plays out the season in Baltimore.

It was rumored a while ago that the hold up to the deal was tha tth Ravens wanted McKelvin for him. I would send McGee in a second, but I'd need a top 100 pick back from them for McKelvin in addition to Gaithier. McKelvin is going to have a great year.