How the Bills might fit in the NFL this year

I don't agree with that 100%, but I will say this:

While Campbell probably has some skills missing in any QB on the Bills' roster, is he really a quality NFL starting QB? My guess is, the Bills FO doesn't believe he is. I also think it's become clear the Bills aren't looking to make big moves to simply upgrade the QB and LT positions by a small margin. If they aren't going to get the guys they actually think are going to be "the guy" they will concentrate on fixing positions with guys they think are quality starters.

As long as they have a plan to address QB and LT I'm OK with that philosophy.

Campbell has a better arm and probably the same mobility as Fitzpatrick. He also is very good at not turning over the ball. I think he still has the potential to be a solid starter, if he isn't damaged goods from playing for a sham of a team- much like Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Losman, Bledsoe and Rob Johnson.

We need to fix the QB position, both OT's and WR. I think getting Spiller addressed our EXTREMELY overrated RB situation- what exactly is Lynch's role, anyways?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching ESPN the other night and some analysts were discussing the Bills - and they had them sitting at the bottom of our division, as one of the worst teams in the NFL. Their main reason: the NFL is a passing league and the Bills did nothing to strengthen neither - 1. - their QB position (which was listed as the worst in the NFL), and they wondered out loud why the Bills didn't pursue someone like Campbell... and 2. - their Tackle positions - especially LT. They stressed how the NFL is a passing league now and that the Bills had the makings for a disaster offensively.

So, it got me thinking. Yes, the Bills did put together what looks like a good defense, certainly it is set and is probably only a player or two away from being very good - the foundation there is laid. But, the Bills front office (Nix and Gailey) knew what they had to work with on the line and with the QB, and they really didn't do much there. I could think of only two reasonable explanations. 1. - they just figured if they lost a lot this year with what they have, then they'll have a good position next year to draft a QB, and maybe a LT - using this year as a rehersal for the team, and next as a plug in the holes kind of really compete year, or... (these might both be accurate)... 2. - Why does the NFL have to be a passing league? Might we try to win with solid Defense and a really good running game? For one, do we have a good enough line to even be a good running team? Second, is there an alternative to "the NFL is a passing league"? Could Gailey try to make something else work? That got me excited - I was thinking of New Orleans and how their coach was an offensive mind and he got a chance to build a team as he envisioned it - and I see Gailey, also, as a coach who will build a dynamic, scoring, offense.

And, as puzzling as our roster looks, with that in mind, my only answer is that they are going to try and win differently - I just hope they've got something brewing that will make us competitive. Gailey does fit the mold of a coach who has won with just what we've got - pedestrain QB's and good running games.

Some good thoughts. I have to disagree with only 2 possible explanations for not addressing LT and QB. A 3rd reason is too many holes to fill in one off-season. For QB, I tend to agree with those who believe there weren't any QBs in the draft or free agency who were significantly better than who is on the roster.

To your other important point, can Gailey make something else work? For me, the best quote I've read so far is from TE saying he's never been around a coach who understands play calling so well, and how some plays are used to set up other plays. NFL defenses are so good, the more unpredictable you are, the more success you will have. I am starting to think that Gailey will make Trent Edward's career.

The Bills will be far better than what the experts are predicting. Take it from an expert.

While I freely admit I am nervous about the QB and LT positions at this point, I too think the Bills have the players and coaching staff in place now to shock many of the negative prognosticators out there. Yes the league is geared more towards the passing game now, but a successful running game always opens up the passing game if the right play callers are in place (something we've sorely missed for several years). Every position and every player move is a gamble for every team until players (and coaches) have proven themselves, so all that anyone can do is hope for the best each season. I'm amazed at the negativity of some posts I see on here from so-called fans. If a team ticks you off that much you should change teams or sports. I believe the Bills can and will win with a good running game and defense, plus there is still plenty of time to address the offensive holes\weaknesses before the regular season starts, so keep the faith and go Bills!

P.S. How long did they cry and moan in New Orleans or Tampa before they put it all together?