(OT) Looking for a new wireless phone?

Like A Mofo

ESPN Mobile

ESPN to offer wireless phone service through Sprint

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Sports cable channel ESPN will launch its own branded wireless phone service next year, the first in a series of branded cell phone services planned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS), which owns Connecticut-based ESPN.

The service, dubbed ESPN Mobile, will use the enhanced Sprint (FON) nationwide PCS network, Sprint and ESPN said Wednesday.

The venture will sell ESPN-branded handsets, accessories and applications, including access to sports headlines, photos, ring tones and streaming audio and video over Sprint's high-speed data network.

does anyone else think ESPN ought to stick to what they know [sports programming] and skip the made-for TV movies [Pete Rose, eg], fictional TV series [Playmakers], "reality" shows [Dream Job and that other one I never watch], award shows, magazines, phones, etc. etc. etc?

does anyone else think ESPN ought to stick to what they know [sports programming]  and skip the made-for TV movies [Pete Rose, eg], fictional TV series [Playmakers], "reality" shows [Dream Job and that other one I never watch], award shows, magazines, phones, etc. etc. etc?

141059[/snapback]

They should, but E$PN just cannot help themselves...

People will buy it too.

They should, but E$PN just cannot help themselves...

People will buy it too.

141062[/snapback]

good point. what's that famous line? you'll never going broke by underestimating the consumer's intelligence, or something to that effect

does anyone else think ESPN ought to stick to what they know [sports programming]  and skip the made-for TV movies [Pete Rose, eg], fictional TV series [Playmakers], "reality" shows [Dream Job and that other one I never watch], award shows, magazines, phones, etc. etc. etc?

141059[/snapback]

I heard that MTV is thinking about doing other shows rather than just showing music videos all day long.

141059[/snapback]

ESPN is going the same way MTV did. Remember when MusicTV -- yes, kids, that's what the "M" stands for -- actually played music? Too many people trying to be the "next Chris Berman" or "next Jim Rome" with their cutesy catchphrases and one-liners; just lose the stand-up act and give me the sports. Please?

For the record - I like Boomer; he's an original. Hate Rome and anyone pretending to be him; Bob Costas's "idiotfest" comment (re:the current state of sports radio) is thanks in no small part to Rome's influence on the younger generation of sports-talkers.

These days, I'll try to catch the NFL Live/NFL Matchup shows and anything Bob Ley does, but that's about it. Oh, and "Sports Reporters" - the guys with my Dream Job. Don't watch that as much as I used to, though. John Saunders is a solid host, but I miss Dick Schapp. A lot.

ESPN is going the same way MTV did. Remember when MusicTV -- yes, kids, that's what the "M" stands for -- actually played music?  Too many people trying to be the "next Chris Berman" or "next Jim Rome" with their cutesy catchphrases and one-liners; just lose the stand-up act and give me the sports. Please?

For the record - I like Boomer; he's an original. Hate Rome and anyone pretending to be him; Bob Costas's "idiotfest" comment (re:the current state of sports radio) is thanks in no small part to Rome's influence on the younger generation of sports-talkers.

These days, I'll try to catch the NFL Live/NFL Matchup shows and anything Bob Ley does, but that's about it. Oh, and "Sports Reporters" - the guys with my Dream Job. Don't watch that as much as I used to, though. John Saunders is a solid host, but I miss Dick Schapp. A lot.

141114[/snapback]

Not to mention they always have that fool Dan LeRetard on.

ESPN is going the same way MTV did. Remember when MusicTV -- yes, kids, that's what the "M" stands for -- actually played music?  Too many people trying to be the "next Chris Berman" or "next Jim Rome" with their cutesy catchphrases and one-liners; just lose the stand-up act and give me the sports. Please?

141114[/snapback]

So true Lori. I find it hysterical that MTV now has another channel dedicated to showing music again. ESPN is basically unwatchable about half the time. Even SportsCenter sucks now. Perhaps in ten years, ESPN will launch a new channel that will be devoted to live sporting events. :lol:

Not to mention they always have that fool Dan LeRetard on.

141120[/snapback]

Yup. The original SR was great stuff, with Mitch Albom, Bob Ryan, Bill Lyon, and that pencil-necked geek Mikey Lupica in heavy rotation and Schapp keeping them in line. Some of the replacements they're bringing in - LeBastard, for one - drag the show down almost to the level of the "Around the Horn" shoutfest. JMO.